Votes: 58 35.6%

• Total voters

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
People keep saying this. Yet, not a single D1 coach agrees. Not one. Every coach who had Toney in to throw said no to him playing QB and did so immediately. And those were the spread option coaches. MacNuss promised him a shot just to get him on campus. It didn't take long for him to see the light of day and move to WR full time. The beat writers who saw Toney throw in practice joked about how awful he looked. In podcasts, they would literally laugh. de La Torre, Spivey, and Crucial are just 3. I could name more. His high school tape speaks for itself. The kid can't play QB at a D1 or even D2 level. But, he is a real talent in the slot. If we can find a QB, the guy can be special.
This is not true.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
This is not true.

It doesn’t matter I literally looked at hours of tape yesterday and apparently it doesn’t matter that the dude had great stats either...anyone could run that offense with a half decent arm and he won some big games on throws

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is not true.

What isn't true? This is the 2nd coaching staff to see him. He isn't even a consideration to play QB. As far as his recruiting,

One of the key reasons why Toney, rated a 3-star “athlete” from Mobile, Ala., chose the Gators is because they promised to at least give him a chance at quarterback. Other schools courting him weren’t willing to make that same offer, his high school coach said back in the spring. ~ Ryan Young, SEC Country, 11 months ago

What isn't true? He got a chance to play QB in the spring. The coaching staff was so impressed he was a full time WR in the fall. The podcasts? I'm not looking those up, but what I said was true. Feel free to look them up from last spring.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I rewatched a few games from last year and it was shocking how open our receivers were and how poor tackling was...our receivers had the speed and talent to get open against anyone...it was sad just watching how piss poor our QB play was...then I rewatched some old highlights from Hs for Toney Franks and Jones and honestly Franks has progressed 0% he’s the same guy...however that being said Toney could run this offense but would need about 20lbs on him Burton ran it great in one game (the Uk game where he had 6 tds) and honestly I could see Ej doing the same thing...I understand Mullen not wanting to go with an “unproven” guy but Fromm and Hurts made mistakes their first season...I think this is an issue of him protecting his guy but the potential is scary to actually see Jones being a great Qb in his system...tbh I think it’s a great miscalculation to waste a redshirt and if he’s not starting by the time we hit our real schedule I’d be surprised if we make it to 8 wins
Did you somehow get the coaches tapes for those games? If you just watched the broadcasts you didn't see anything worthwhile...they only show the 5-10 yards around the ball. If you're talking about after a pass is thrown and then you see some guys open that Franks didn't throw the ball too it's probably because those defenders were already moving away from that guy. You can't see anything of note downfield from broadcasts

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He shows flashes of a good QB but no my buddy taped the championship game he lost at Wakulla and has it on his DVR...so yeah ur inane comment is noted however matters little in the point that you like everyone else is a pompous ass at times when trying to belittle someone about their OPINION...and yes the Hs videos are somewhat better since it’s a half field almost the whole game when it’s shown

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
And the overview where they break down tape on television clearly shows a lot more than the game footage itself

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
What isn't true? This is the 2nd coaching staff to see him. He isn't even a consideration to play QB. As far as his recruiting,

What isn't true? He got a chance to play QB in the spring. The coaching staff was so impressed he was a full time WR in the fall. The podcasts? I'm not looking those up, but what I said was true. Feel free to look them up from last spring.

Toney was also the Alabama "Back of the Year". The year after Perine got it. So he is a really talented football player. But he can't throw at a college level. Plus we don't even know if he has decent hands. From everything we all have heard, he can't catch very well either. We just gotta find a way to utilize his talent. But it's not like we're lacking at wr. We would be in big trouble if Grimes and Jefferson weren't eligible. Cleveland and Toney are decent talents. But they're only good at one thing each. Cleveland can go deep and Toney has the juke moves. But Jefferson and Grimes can do a lot more.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This staff hasn't given him any looks at qb and that's never been in their plans. They said they'd give him some looks at wildcat QB and that's about it.
As far as other schools wanting him as a qb, pretty sure Oregon tried to get him pretty late as a qb. And I could give 2 shcits what a couple of clowns like spivey and delatora say. Those are the same guys that was calling driskel a Heisman candidate.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This staff hasn't given him any looks at qb and that's never been in their plans. They said they'd give him some looks at wildcat QB and that's about it.
As far as other schools wanting him as a qb, pretty sure Oregon tried to get him pretty late as a qb. And I could give 2 shcits what a couple of clowns like spivey and delatora say. Those are the same guys that was calling driskel a Heisman candidate.
he ran with the QB's in the Spring last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator