4-8 ....convince me otherwise

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That was a rough one. When you think you might have seen some improvement, we find a way to step on our crank. One step forward, three backwards. This staff better feel an urgency to fix many of the glaring issues you all post and do it quickly. It felt more like last night UF was playing the Ghost of UF past. We could not get out of our own way, even with Utah is trying to give you the game. A lot of season to go, and it could be a long one. Not giving up yet, but if I were looking in the mirror, got to get some shyt fixed and quick.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz was put in a lousy position, basically thrown to the wolves. He could have turtled up, but he passed his brains out all the way to the end. Maybe he can build on that.
Mertz was who we thought he was.

He's not the kind of guy that can overcome the issues we saw with the line yesterday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’m still holding out hope for .500 or better. Team showed flashes last night and if (a big if) they can gel they could have an upward trajectory rather than a downward spiral (but this is also coach dependent).
Your first post since 2019! Love it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz was who we thought he was.

He's not the kind of guy that can overcome the issues we saw with the line yesterday.
No he's not, but how many QB's in the nation are? There was zero threat of a run last night.

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
Remember that most folks thought the Gators were “back” game one of 2022, and look at the result. As bad as last night's game looked, I will remain optimistic and see this team getting better as the season progresses. Patience and continuous improvement each week are essential to getting back on track.

I believe in CBN's vision and not judging the season opener as a barometer for this team’s outlook for 2023.

Go Gators!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I somehow managed to only tune in for our one offensive touchdown drive.

SSDD. Can it get better? Yes, but that's what we've said all last season. It's what we've said for the past decade. And it isn't. On paper CBN has more talent, balanced talent. But if you can't get them to perform, to line up and execute, we're still staring at SSDD.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I usually use the Man in The Arena but shifting gears here. The utes got their revenge. Mertz played well. The OL is almost brand new even if they are vets elsewhere. I will be a gator if they lose them all. I will be a gator no matter what. And with that ex#1's husband found this and posted it to FB today. I love the guy, Old school gator from Miami and lawyer UF grad school grad. When life seems the darkest ..............

Incredible Things ·

Thilakasiri Bandara · ·
Mark Twain held a pistol to his head.
But he couldn’t bring himself to pull the trigger.
So, he put down the pistol and picked up a pen…
Many textbooks portray Mark Twain as poised, self-assured, and composed.
However, the Twain described in writings from 1865 and 1866 is far from that man…
At this time, Twain was living in San Francisco and earning $100 a month writing 2,000-word columns, 6 days a week for a newspaper called the Territorial Enterprise.
The 29-year-old Twain was struggling immensely. He was drowning in debt. The local pawnshops owned nearly all his possessions.
In a letter from 1865, he wrote to his brother:
“If I do not get out of debt in three months – pistols or poison for one – exit me,”
And he nearly took the first option.
There are many stories about what exactly made him change his mind:
One story describes how his eyes met a bill for coal he had received. The wording on the bill was so peculiar for such a low sum of requested money that it made him do a double take. It supposedly brought about a chuckle and he reflected on the oddity of life, putting down his pistol.
Some accounts claim that when he brought the pistol to his head, he couldn’t bear to pull the trigger out of his thoughts of cowardice.
Whatever the truth may be, we do know that the great literary figure had some very dark days in his lonely San Francisco apartment…
Shortly after this incident, Twain hit his first home run. He finally leaned into his inclinations of humor with The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County.
It was a humorous work and was published by the New York Saturday Press on November 18, 1865. It brought him his first taste of international fame.
And the rest is history!
USEFUL KNOWLEDGE:
- The Brightest days often come right after the darkest nights.
Life is very strange. In many ways, it is like a video game, in the sense that it is full of tests. Things get extremely hard in life and as long as you hang on and keep pushing, you will make a breakthrough and get to the next level. It's always hardest right before a significant breakthrough. Then things are great for a while but eventually, the pattern repeats itself. The tests vary in difficulty but they all push the individual to ascend to higher levels of consciousness and character.
This story of Twain’s dark days displays the idea perfectly. He was in just about the lowest place a person can be, yet he didn’t let go of himself and as a result, very quickly got his first big win.
I’m sure you can relate to this story in some way - reflecting on your own difficult times. Hopefully, the video game analogy provides you with a greater awareness of the pattern.
So, when things get dark, hold on, keep pushing and bright daylight will come soon enough.
Written by The Knowledge Archivist on Twitter

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted to be optimistic but that performance last night really crushed my hopes for the most part. We looked unprepared and got dominated in nearly every aspect of the game. Mertz was "ok" considering how much pressure he was under all game. OLine ain't good. :headslap:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Bad. Awful. Terrible. Inexplicable. Pathetic. Dumbfounding. Then came the second play of the game.

Mistake after mistake after mistake. We even got flagged on fourth-and-3 for having two ST players wearing the same number. Now that's a new one.

Florida football. Finding new and inventive ways to embarrass. I kept watching just to count the number of mishaps.

Since Meyer we’ve hired a defensive coordinator, an offensive coordinator, a recruiting coordinator, and a chubby closet homosexual that refuses basic dental hygiene and has an affinity for sharks. How about we hire an athletic director that can actually hire a head football coach. I know that seems like a lot to ask, and I’m sure I’m just that spoiled fan, but still.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I said fuch it and went to bed after the 1st quarter.
no regrets GIF

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We had Odom and Zanders out wide running more routes than Eugene Wilson. And a walk-on WR playing over young, promising WRs that have been raved about all offseason.

The roster mismanagement on offense is astonishingly poor.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
I'm tired of the post Urban coaching carousel so I'm reluctantly burying me head in the sand through this season. I honestly don't care if they do finish 4-8.

However, If these basis coaching mistakes keep happening next year he needs to be show the door during the season. At least by that time we'll have a fairly talented roster for the next dude.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since Meyer we’ve hired a defensive coordinator, an offensive coordinator, a recruiting coordinator, and a chubby closet homosexual that refuses basic dental hygiene and has an affinity for sharks. How about we hire an athletic director that can actually hire a head football coach. I know that seems like a lot to ask, and I’m sure I’m just that spoiled fan, but still.
We are in continuing need of greater vision and prioritization at the highest athletic administrative level.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
The last few UF teams have made me want to murder people with a rusty hatchet.

I only cussed one time last night. I just have a hard time giving a **** anymore.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
8th loss @ Florida:

Urban Meyer - 39th game (31-8)

Will Muschamp - 26th game (18-8)

Jim McElwain - 26th game (18-8)

Dan Mullen - 37th game (29-8)

Billy Napier - 14th game (6-8)

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Tread water until D.J. comes on board. Recruiting the sole bright spot of the Napier Era.
Billy gets 3 years minimum. Buyout too big of a hurdle at this point of the Napier experiment.
Not sure of the coaches that Billy has surrounded himself with. Both the coaches and the players
need to get back to the basics, Two players with the same number on the field at the same time?
I have never seen that before! Pee-Wee football doesn't make that mistake.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have seen the 2 numbers on the field before and its usually at the college level. HS doesn't have the jerseys to do it.

I wouldn't have 2 guys on the team with the same number. I would make them fight in a cage and the winner decides who gets what.

No reason for college to do it.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
First, we cant put too much into first game good or bad. So lets not go crazy YET

Plus side - Mertz looks good enough to win games, at 70% completion rate can you imagine what last year would have looked like if AR sniffed that?
Defense looked improved, tackling was strong, one busted play (maybe 2 if you count qb run) but a short field and idiotic jersey penalty led to 14 points., Wilson is going to be good if he stays and the receivers may grow into something special this year.

Down side - the obvious sloppiness of false starts and misalignment. BN did at least admit it was his fault, which is nice, but go correct it mofo.
the red zone offense, moved the ball pretty well between the 20s but it is concerning to see the brain cramps when we get to the opponents 20

Next week against a scrimmage team we need to see the sloppiness cleaned up and just cleaner execution. If not, hit panic button.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
RJ Moten, number 16, had himself a game. He’s going to carry the recent tradition of absolutely abysmal safety play. Not only was he responsible for their first TD (tackling our own player along the way), he completely WHIFFED on their QB run for a TD. IMG_5031.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.