4* QB Joe Milton

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
:facepalm: this discussion had nothing to do with whether or not any of the classes were good :lol2:

I brought up Richt & Smart because those who want to give McElwain a "pass" or say, "this is really only his 3rd class, because the 1st class he didn't really have time....." etc, etc, etc... want to use the excuse that it takes "time" or years to develop "relationships". Meanwhile, Smart, Richt....and DOZENS of other "new" coaches seem to do just fine and don't need 3, 4, 5 years (or longer) to develop these so-called "relationships".

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I brought up Richt & Smart because those who want to give McElwain a "pass" or say, "this is really only his 3rd class, because the 1st class he didn't really have time....." etc, etc, etc... want to use the excuse that it takes "time" or years to develop "relationships". Meanwhile, Smart, Richt....and DOZENS of other "new" coaches seem to do just fine and don't need 3, 4, 5 years (or longer) to develop these so-called "relationships".
For me, his classes have been mediocre at best in quality. Slightly better than mediocre in filling some previous issues, but that seems to have come at the neglect of other areas, so still pretty mediocre.
I'm right there with you guys on the what you're saying here...that's just not what I was posting about in regards to the prehistoric poster.
Fact of the matter is, this year is make or break for Mac. And he put his first two nails in the coffin by retaining nuss and nord. 5 losses or more this season, and I believe there will be serious moves to replace him. 4 losses, he'll get a 4th year, but the writing will be on the wall and it will be his last. 3 losses or better and he secures his job, for now anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
3 losses or better and he secures his job, for now anyway.
3 losses or better? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2: Not in his best year.

He will have 3 losses in October again. May have 3 losses in September.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
UR, semantics and you know it. We all know he meant this is his FOURTH RECRUITING CLASS. Pick and choose your battles. If you want to piss and moan about "years" vs. "class", fine. But I'll sit here and know that this is McElwain's 4th class. BTW, how many "years" has Richt been recruiting Miami and how many "years" has Kirby been recruiting UGA? These excuses for the crap job of recruiting is old. With that, I like the start this year better than any of his classes, so hopefully that bodes well for McElwain's FOURTH class...

Tattoo is just being himself. Thanks. Everyone knew what I meant.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tattoo is just being himself. Thanks. Everyone knew what I meant.
image.png

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm going to chime in on this one: no matter how anyone wants to sugar-coat this, this is McElwain's 4th recruiting class. Period, done, nothing else to discuss.

Sugar-coating (i.e. making excuses) for the first class (which he did a hell of a job with) is not going to change to fact that this is HIS 4th recruiting class.

While you're making excuses for the short time he had to put together the first class, take a look at coaches like Smart & Kiffin - they were in the middle of a college football playoff/national title run. Coaches, all the time, have short periods to recruit during their first year. Not many get the Urban Meyer to Ohio State time frame. If anything, McElwain had 2 weeks or so (give or take) that "most" coaches get when taking over a program.

So, moving forward: 2018 is McElwain's FOURTH RECRUIT CLASS!!!!
And 2019 will be his FIFTH RECRUITING CLASS. :dunno:

Doesn't change the fact that he's only been on the trail for a little over 2 years making this his THIRD RECRUITING YEAR.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
UR, semantics and you know it. We all know he meant this is his FOURTH RECRUITING CLASS. Pick and choose your battles. If you want to piss and moan about "years" vs. "class", fine. But I'll sit here and know that this is McElwain's 4th class. BTW, how many "years" has Richt been recruiting Miami and how many "years" has Kirby been recruiting UGA? These excuses for the crap job of recruiting is old. With that, I like the start this year better than any of his classes, so hopefully that bodes well for McElwain's FOURTH class...

I'll go with the 4th Class, but not the 4th year. If you're the HBC on NSD, it's your class. He owns that first one.

Bringing Richt and Kirby into this is an apples and oranges, and it speaks to the distinction between "class" and "year". See below.

Richt, while new to MIA, had been at UGA since 2001 and been recruiting the southeast (including South Florida) for over two decades. Smart has been coaching and recruiting in the southeast since his career began in 1999. Then you look at Mac who has been all over the country from E Washington State, to Fresno, to Alabama, to Colorado. The closest he's been to the southeast was '08-'11 while at Alabama before he came in and took over at UF. So, you really want to try and play that card that Richt and Smart were able to find kids in their first years at a program in the southeast without time building relationships (FALSE!) against Mac who had no such relationships in the region, and brought in a staff without much connection to kids in the region? Richt and Smart have had decades building those relationships, Mac has not. Fact.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
And 2019 will be his FIFTH RECRUITING CLASS. :dunno:

Doesn't change the fact that he's only been on the trail for a little over 2 years making this his THIRD RECRUITING YEAR.

Here we go again. Excuses. Most every other coach has no issues "building relationships"...but, sure, if you want to keep making excuses then there's no sense it continuing this discussion. YOU (and other pumpers) think it takes 3, 4, 5+ years to "develop relationships". Meanwhile, Mark Richt, in 15 months has the #1 ranked class in the country....and Kirby Smart, with less than 13 months on the job, signed a top 5 class. Okay, sure....it takes 3+ years. Got it. Thanks for sharing....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll go with the 4th Class, but not the 4th year. If you're the HBC on NSD, it's your class. He owns that first one.

Bringing Richt and Kirby into this is an apples and oranges, and it speaks to the distinction between "class" and "year". See below.

Richt, while new to MIA, had been at UGA since 2001 and been recruiting the southeast (including South Florida) for over two decades. Smart has been coaching and recruiting in the southeast since his career began in 1999. Then you look at Mac who has been all over the country from E Washington State, to Fresno, to Alabama, to Colorado. The closest he's been to the southeast was '08-'11 while at Alabama before he came in and took over at UF. So, you really want to try and play that card that Richt and Smart were able to find kids in their first years at a program in the southeast without time building relationships (FALSE!) against Mac who had no such relationships in the region, and brought in a staff without much connection to kids in the region? Richt and Smart have had decades building those relationships, Mac has not. Fact.

Thanks for the excuses. Got it. It takes OUR coach 3+ years to recruit. All good. Now I know...

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for the excuses. Got it. It takes OUR coach 3+ years to recruit. All good. Now I know...

Thanks for ignoring the facts. If that's your repeatable MO, I'll know not to waste them on you in the future.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for ignoring the facts. If that's your repeatable MO, I'll know not to waste them on you in the future.

Dude, you're right....I'm wrong. Mac just needs more time!! He'll have a top 5 class in the next 10 years, I'm sure of it!!!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dude, you're right....I'm wrong. Mac just needs more time!! He'll have a top 5 class in the next 10 years, I'm sure of it!!!

I didn't say Mac needs more time and he'll start killing it. I don't know. I've seen him get some good names and take in a lot of no-names. I don't know if he's capable, regardless of how much time he gets.

My point, which you've sidestepped, is that it isn't an accurate comparison of a guy essentially new to the region still struggling into his 3rd-4th year/class when looking at Richt and Smart in their first classes but 20+ year.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Here we go again. Excuses. Most every other coach has no issues "building relationships"...but, sure, if you want to keep making excuses then there's no sense it continuing this discussion. YOU (and other pumpers) think it takes 3, 4, 5+ years to "develop relationships". Meanwhile, Mark Richt, in 15 months has the #1 ranked class in the country....and Kirby Smart, with less than 13 months on the job, signed a top 5 class. Okay, sure....it takes 3+ years. Got it. Thanks for sharing....

I'm not making any excuses I'm pointing out a mathematical fact. I suspect your problem is that you're not very bright because I've said nothing about the other things that you are rambling about. But I do like triggering you.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not making any excuses I'm pointing out a mathematical fact. I suspect your problem is that you're not very bright because I've said nothing about the other things that you are rambling about. But I do like triggering you.

I didn't say Mac needs more time and he'll start killing it. I don't know. I've seen him get some good names and take in a lot of no-names. I don't know if he's capable, regardless of how much time he gets.

My point, which you've sidestepped, is that it isn't an accurate comparison of a guy essentially new to the region still struggling into his 3rd-4th year/class when looking at Richt and Smart in their first classes but 20+ year.

For the record, you BOTH are right. I'm wrong. You're excuses make sense. He just needs time and he's only been here less than 3 years. I get it!! You guys are so right!! What was I thinking?!?! Damn!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
For the record, you BOTH are right. I'm wrong. You're excuses make sense. He just needs time and he's only been here less than 3 years. I get it!! You guys are so right!! What was I thinking?!?! Damn!!

Well BMF, at least you're right about being wrong.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Posters just being dicks for the sake of being dicks. You'd have to be a moron if you thought that I meant Mac has been recruiting for four CALENDAR years. He is going into his fourth recruiting cycle/year/class. You're just being an ******* to be an *******. No other reason.

Back on ****ing topic...he hasn't recruited dick at the QB position and he's supposed to be a QB guru. That was my original point and some people can't handle the truth. The guy gets a big fat F for QB and offense. Carry on...

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
The irony of some of these posts is not lost on me (especially the post right above this one) :lmao2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator