45 years ago: The Immaculate Reception

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Wait... I thought we hated the NFL? :scratchhead:
NV, that was when the NFL was still fun to watch and players were not all mercenary. AND there were not so many damned expansion teams fcking it up.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I remember watching this play happen vividly because my old man leaned back in his chair and said....."no f vckin way".....Pop cussed regularly but rarely let the F word fly at home......me and my older brother argued about it for the rest of the season.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Money corrupted the NFL just as it has every other sport, college football included.

Take any bad angle and you can trace its roots to money.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This game will go down in history as the CTE Bowl. The number of players on that field who eventually killed themselves or went crazy due to brain trauma is almost uncountable.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I remember watching that game live. I hated the Steelers and really wanted the Raiders to win. The controversy that I remember wasn't that the ball hit the ground but rather that it last was touched by the Steeler receiver (can't recall who it was) and not Tatum. At that time the rule was that two offensive players were not allowed to touch a passed ball consecutively. And replay wasn't nearly as good then as it is today with multiple angles so it was difficult to determine who touched the ball before Harris. Not that it would have mattered anyway because of course there was no replay overrule then either.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
And they all stood up for the National Anthem.
Funny incident in the Armed Forces bowl yesterday. The NFL is considering letting teams stay in the locker room to avoid having the fans see them kneel. Yesterday Moncken lost track of time and kept his West Point team in the locker room until after the national anthem had been played.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL players have made their point and then some. It's no longer a protest. It's showboating.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funny incident in the Armed Forces bowl yesterday. The NFL is considering letting teams stay in the locker room to avoid having the fans see them kneel. Yesterday Moncken lost track of time and kept his West Point team in the locker room until after the national anthem had been played.

Just curious, can a service member or academy member be disciplined for not standing at attention during the anthem? My guess is yes they can be punished but I’d love to hear from any active duty military or veterans on this board what the official rule is, and what the maximum punishment is if the rule is broken? Dishonorable discharge, time in the brig?

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting fact about that play/game.....the Steelers beat the Raiders and the next week they got to HOST the undefeated Dolphins! Miami was undefeated and had to go on the road to play the AFC championship game....how crazy was that??!!??? And if it were not for Larry Seipel's fake punt, Miami most likely would have lost that game. I was 8 at the time...and a HUGE Dolphins fan growing up in Plantation. The day they hired Jimmy Johnson was the day I stopped being a Fins fan....and now only care about fantasy. I live in Chicago, and can't get behind the Bears.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting fact about that play/game.....the Steelers beat the Raiders and the next week they got to HOST the undefeated Dolphins! Miami was undefeated and had to go on the road to play the AFC championship game....how crazy was that??!!??? And if it were not for Larry Seipel's fake punt, Miami most likely would have lost that game. I was 8 at the time...and a HUGE Dolphins fan growing up in Plantation. The day they hired Jimmy Johnson was the day I stopped being a Fins fan....and now only care about fantasy. I live in Chicago, and can't get behind the Bears.
Nonsense, the Bears are an acquired taste just like Miralax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.