45 years ago today…

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were just before my time but I certainly enjoy their music.

There is a pretty good documentary on Netflix about them with tons of real footage. I was born and raised in Jacksonville. What is really weird about the documentary is knew just about every place they hung out there.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

There is a pretty good documentary on Netflix about them with tons of real footage. I was born and raised in Jacksonville. What is really weird about the documentary is knew just about every place they hung out there.

I seem to recall Green Cove Springs but I could be way off

and... he has good taste in fishing hats.
a little hard to make out, but it says Florida Gators

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 2.36.14 PM.png

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good music, Southern Rock..

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Someone interviewed one of the important backup singers to sweet home Alabama. It was embarrassing for her. She had no clue.

I also got into a heated discussion with a mid westerner about LS….thought it was redneck noise….but he loved Van Halen. He thought Van Halen would outlast LS.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I grew up in Mandarin - lived on Julington Creek Road, about a half mile from Allen Collins house. I went to school with his daughter, Amy.

My first concert was LS in 1977, one of my older sister's friends parents took us (they were hippy types) - my mom was a single mother and let us spend a lot of time at these people's house. I don't recall much, just remember being at an outdoor concert running around and playing with all the other kids (something that probably would never happen nowadays), I was 6 or 7 years old (my birthday is in August, so I don't recall if it was before or after).

I lived in DC for 13+ years and had a ton of people ask me where I was from because I have a NE Florida southern accent. They always respond "Florida?" I tell them, "It is in the south!" Also, "Florida is the only state in the south that the farther north you are the further south you are." I also tell them that, "The greatest southern rock band of all time is from Jacksonville, Lynyrd Skynyrd". And half of those dumbasses think they're from Alabama because of the song. smh

Allen Collins dated a friend of mine's mom when I was probably 13 or so, his mom would come over to my house to drop him off or bring him something when we were hanging out. Allen would ride his motorcycle in circles on Julington Creek Rd waiting for her. He later crashed the motorcycle and was paralyzed. He died at 37 years old in 1990 from complications.

Non southern rock fans stereotype the music and genre. The "Whooo! FREEBIRD!" crap gets old, because it's a f*cking GREAT song, among at least a dozen other songs. The current lineup is a disgrace however, and has been for at least 20 years.

Allen Collins house: Home of founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd for sale | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

This is my favorite Skynyrd video - 1977 in the Oakland Coliseum. Check out the crowd, all the hippy chicks. It's fantastic. Watch Alan Collins kill it at the very end. The roadies standing on the side with their shirts off. It's great! It's perfect 1970's.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up in Mandarin - lived on Julington Creek Road, about a half mile from Allen Collins house. I went to school with his daughter, Amy.

My first concert was LS in 1977, one of my older sister's friends parents took us (they were hippy types) - my mom was a single mother and let us spend a lot of time at these people's house. I don't recall much, just remember being at an outdoor concert running around and playing with all the other kids (something that probably would never happen nowadays), I was 6 or 7 years old (my birthday is in August, so I don't recall if it was before or after).

I lived in DC for 13+ years and had a ton of people ask me where I was from because I have a NE Florida southern accent. They always respond "Florida?" I tell them, "It is in the south!" Also, "Florida is the only state in the south that the farther north you are the further south you are." I also tell them that, "The greatest southern rock band of all time is from Jacksonville, Lynyrd Skynyrd". And half of those dumbasses think they're from Alabama because of the song. smh

Allen Collins dated a friend of mine's mom when I was probably 13 or so, his mom would come over to my house to drop him off or bring him something when we were hanging out. Allen would ride his motorcycle in circles on Julington Creek Rd waiting for her. He later crashed the motorcycle and was paralyzed. He died at 37 years old in 1990 from complications.

Non southern rock fans stereotype the music and genre. The "Whooo! FREEBIRD!" crap gets old, because it's a f*cking GREAT song, among at least a dozen other songs. The current lineup is a disgrace however, and has been for at least 20 years.

Allen Collins house: Home of founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd for sale | Jax Daily Record | Jacksonville Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

This is my favorite Skynyrd video - 1977 in the Oakland Coliseum. Check out the crowd, all the hippy chicks. It's fantastic. Watch Alan Collins kill it at the very end. The roadies standing on the side with their shirts off. It's great! It's perfect 1970's.

What a great looking crowd, nothing but hippie chics everywhere.

Ahh the memories of the college days.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

My favorite version as well...

We used to play some cuts from the Rossington/Collins band at Rock 104 back in the early to mid-80's.
But nothing ever sounded nearly as good as when all the band was intact.

There is also a series of videos on Youtube with various artists called Old Grey Whistle Test... I believe it was a British show.
This is the LS one

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I waited for one of my southern brethren or ‘sistren’ to post this. Can’t believe we’re not having a candlelight vigil

I was still reeling from the King passing in August when this happened

On this day in history, Oct. 20, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd bandmates killed in horrific plane crash
I was a freshman in HS when that happened and pretty clueless about music (and a lot of other things) and I recall a guy telling a group of us about the crash. One of the other kids asked "Who is Leonard Skinner?" Naturally he was berated by the kid sharing the news and several others. I was sooooo glad that kid asked the question before I could.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I waited for one of my southern brethren or ‘sistren’ to post this. Can’t believe we’re not having a candlelight vigil

On this day in history, Oct. 20, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd bandmates killed in horrific plane crash

Thanks for posting Diddy. I have been super busy at work, but did remember yesterday and what had happened. I have always enjoyed their music, and it has never gotten old for me.

I have seen most of, if not all of those OGWT videos but for me the best one is the one below. They opened for the Stones in England and blew the doors off. One of the few bands that sound as good live as they do in the studio.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I ‘liked’ your tribute, but it felt weird to like it... As a fan, I hate to think of the music never written because the tragedy cut their lives short. For the survivors, I can’t imagine how much that day still haunts them.

BTW, my favorite is probably “Call Me the Breeze.”

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I ‘liked’ your tribute, but it felt weird to like it... As a fan, I hate to think of the music never written because the tragedy cut their lives short. For the survivors, I can’t imagine how much that day still haunts them.

BTW, my favorite is probably “Call Me the Breeze.”

Too many favorite tunes from them
‘I Know a Little’ has some scorching Steve Gaines guitar
‘Simple Man’ and ‘Tuesday’s Gone’ never get old.
‘Curtis Lowe’ is a gooder too.

Can you imagine how many more awesome tunes they would have cranked out?

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017

Man does that bring back the memories. Some of those girls look very familiar! This was at one of Bill Graham’s Day On The Green Concerts he had throughout the summers of the 70’s and 80’s at The Oakland Coliseum. Don’t think I made his one (I was only 14) but I made many others since I grew up out there before heading to UF in Fall of 1980. The other Bands that day were Peter Frampton, Santana and The Outlaws. We would leave our houses at midnight, get in line around 2am and be the first in line when they opened the gates for everyone to rush the stage area. (Obviously before The Who Concert tragedy in Cincinnati). Then we would drive back home that night and do it again a weekend or two later. Just check out some of these lineups thought the years…

1977[edit]​

1978[edit]​

1979[edit]​

1980[edit]​

Anyway, Great band and great memories..

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Man does that bring back the memories. Some of those girls look very familiar! This was at one of Bill Graham’s Day On The Green Concerts he had throughout the summers of the 70’s and 80’s at The Oakland Coliseum. Don’t think I made his one (I was only 14) but I made many others since I grew up out there before heading to UF in Fall of 1980. The other Bands that day were Peter Frampton, Santana and The Outlaws. We would leave our houses at midnight, get in line around 2am and be the first in line when they opened the gates for everyone to rush the stage area. (Obviously before The Who Concert tragedy in Cincinnati). Then we would drive back home that night and do it again a weekend or two later. Just check out some of these lineups thought the years…

1977[edit]​

1978[edit]​

1979[edit]​

1980[edit]​

Anyway, Great band and great memories..
One of the great things about that LS video in Oakland is the Confederate flag as their backdrop. lol Imagine that today - in Oakland (right next to Berkeley and SF, the most liberal bastions of hatred in the entire country!).

Those lineups are crazy. I've seen a few of those bands, but would have loved to see them in their prime.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My favorite version as well...

We used to play some cuts from the Rossington/Collins band at Rock 104 back in the early to mid-80's.
But nothing ever sounded nearly as good as when all the band was intact.

There is also a series of videos on Youtube with various artists called Old Grey Whistle Test... I believe it was a British show.
This is the LS one

I had never heard the Whistle Test version before.
That’s fantastic, thanks for posting it

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Holy Fuchsing Schit I can’t Like this enough.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I grew up in Orange Park. He was buried right there on Blanding Blvd.
Yeah, they had to move his grave because so many people would leave notes, flowers and liquor bottles.

Love the Oakland video.
Rebel flag and all.

I saw the current lineup in Jacksonville a few years back.
Since Johnny Van Zant can barely sing and talked through 90% of the songs, it was awesome how they played Free Bird.

They placed a stand up microphone, with Ronnie’s hat on the top with a flag wrapped around the pole, at the end of the stage runway.
Put a spotlight on it.

Then played the song simultaneously with Ronnie singing it, while displayed on the Jumbotron at Everbank field.

Ricky Medlocke, former drummer, actually played “lead” guitar and the entire song came out fantastic.

I was 18 in 1976, and loved Skynrd .
Actually love all Southern Rock.
Quite a blow when I heard about the plane crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.