5 game schedule

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So the Birmingham bowl matters? the GMAC care car bowl? etc... etc.. The new version of the bowl season is crap. If you aren't playing for a BCS or a playoff game, you just got yourself a vacation for a week and extra practice time. So do you think we had a $hitty recruiting class due to the Tangerine Bowl, or because our coaches couldn't recruit. If it mattered so much, why weren't we in the top 10 in recruiting rankings before it?

It's the last game those kids see of you. How'd you look? If they are on the fence do you think it helps or hinders? If you're 6-5? yeah, who cares? A first year coach trying to make a name for himself and the program? It matters. What? The game is in your own backyard against another VISIBLE program? Wait, you've lost two straight to rivals? Yeah, it matters.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's the last game those kids see of you. How'd you look? If they are on the fence do you think it helps or hinders? If you're 6-5? yeah, who cares? A first year coach trying to make a name for himself and the program? It matters. What? The game is in your own backyard against another VISIBLE program? Wait, you've lost two straight to rivals? Yeah, it matters.

So it's the bowl game that is the reason we got a 14th ranked recruiting class. I guess that defeat Texas suffered against Arkansas (31-7) hurt their recruiting so much they weren't in the top 10 (7th class overall)? FSU (38-24) getting beat by Houston in the Peach Bowl was devastating to their recruiting (2nd class overall)? UCLA loss in the Foster Farms Bowl damning.(10th class overall). Using a worthless bowl game as your basis for a subpar class, but not the fact that especially you Rex was saying it was subpar since August? It was subpar not due to a vacation game, but due to us having $hitty recruiters.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So the Birmingham bowl matters? the GMAC care car bowl? etc... etc.. The new version of the bowl season is crap. If you aren't playing for a BCS or a playoff game, you just got yourself a vacation for a week and extra practice time. So do you think we had a $hitty recruiting class due to the Tangerine Bowl, or because our coaches couldn't recruit. If it mattered so much, why weren't we in the top 10 in recruiting rankings before it?

You're right. Unless it's a BCS bowl game it doesn't matter. We should just not play. Just say no thanks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. Unless it's a BCS bowl game it doesn't matter. We should just not play. Just say no thanks.

I would say with the changes in the bowl structure. That really could be the case. Other than the kids getting a vacation paid by the school, and about 60 bowl games that only hard core fans are watching what does it give us?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So it's the bowl game that is the reason we got a 14th ranked recruiting class. I guess that defeat Texas suffered against Arkansas (31-7) hurt their recruiting so much they weren't in the top 10 (7th class overall)? FSU (38-24) getting beat by Houston in the Peach Bowl was devastating to their recruiting (2nd class overall)? UCLA loss in the Foster Farms Bowl damning.(10th class overall). Using a worthless bowl game as your basis for a subpar class, but not the fact that especially you Rex was saying it was subpar since August? It was subpar not due to a vacation game, but due to us having $hitty recruiters.

I totally get what you are saying. And I am not saying it is the only reason or the root cause. I'm saying it certainly does not help with recruiting. There are ton of variables involved. I get it. But to think that they don't matter on some level is disingenuous.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Coming into this year I think many of us thought we had a likely 7 wins. Those being UMASS, Kentucky, North Texas, Vandy, Missouri, South Carolina, and Presbyterian. That left 5 games, Tennessee, LSU, UGA, Arky, and FSU. We've already lost against the Vols obviously so that leaves 4 games. My question is what does Mac record have to be in these last 4 games, LSU, UGA, Arky and FSU to win your trust going into next year? For me he need to win 3/4.

Why would UGa and UMo be in different categories? Isn't UGa really an expected win and then there are the 4 other games/

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I totally get what you are saying. And I am not saying it is the only reason or the root cause. I'm saying it certainly does not help with recruiting. There are ton of variables involved. I get it. But to think that they don't matter on some level is disingenuous.

Do they matter, not as much as they used to. I think most of us on this board grew up in a time where the bowl games mattered on all levels. Also a time where the football complexes didn't matter, and people like GatorJ wasn't "enjoying" 17 year olds twitter feeds. I'm saying that this "insert name here" bowl games don't matter what they used to, not even to recruits. The BCS changed the game, the playoff has changed the game, and the amount of money has completely changed the game.
2014 class after no bowl game 8th
2013 class after getting crushed in the Sugar 4th
2012 class after winning a painful to watch taxslayer bowl 3rd
2011 class after winning Outback Bowl 13th

Bowl games matter extremely little, look at Meyer's classes no drop off after losing a bowl game, Arguably Zook's best class was after a bowl loss.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Do they matter, not as much as they used to. I think most of us on this board grew up in a time where the bowl games mattered on all levels. Also a time where the football complexes didn't matter, and people like GatorJ wasn't "enjoying" 17 year olds twitter feeds. I'm saying that this "insert name here" bowl games don't matter what they used to, not even to recruits. The BCS changed the game, the playoff has changed the game, and the amount of money has completely changed the game.
2014 class after no bowl game 8th
2013 class after getting crushed in the Sugar 4th
2012 class after winning a painful to watch taxslayer bowl 3rd
2011 class after winning Outback Bowl 13th

Bowl games matter extremely little, look at Meyer's classes no drop off after losing a bowl game, Arguably Zook's best class was after a bowl loss.

You make a great argument. I still say for the the boring coach trying to make an SEC name for himself. It matters. Maybe not on a macro level but it still does matter. Great posts.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I would say with the changes in the bowl structure. That really could be the case. Other than the kids getting a vacation paid by the school, and about 60 bowl games that only hard core fans are watching what does it give us?

It gives the players per diem and other cash. You need to go to a bowl or your kids will be cash poor compared to kids at other programs. The other cash is if the bowl is drivable. This article:

http://blog.al.com/ray-melick/2008/12/bowl_games_are_a_payday_for_pl.html

is old, but it explain why you want bowl games for your players. I am not sure if the NCAA has tightened up on any of this, but I have not heard of them doing so.

Here is a more recent article:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bowls11/story/_/id/7351470/bowl-season-provides-own-rewards

that says the NCAA has changed the travel reinbursment a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.