Recruiting 5* Jacob Eason (dwag commit) - Being targeted by Mac

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just damned glad we're even in the conversation.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Doopree;n307000 said:
Don't these #1 all-high school guys typically fizzle out in college, especially at QB? Or is that just when they're coached by Macgruber?

Attachments

• conv_5142.gif
    conv_5142.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
If I'm a QB or TE with half a brain, then I'm taking notice of what the QBs and TEs for Florida have already made happen this year. TE is such a big part of the offense. Only saw flashes of this kind of stuff under Spurrier and Meyer and that often had more to do with personnel rather than schemes lots of players could be a part of. McGee, Goolsby, and Lewis have all had impact this year and this is just the beginning of what Mac is installing. In addition, look at the product from Grier and Harris. Much improved play from the QB position and obviously lots of different ways for the QB to make plays.

I guess I need to see what Harbaugh's TEs and QBs are doing this year to understand why these kids want to go there.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits;306997 said:
Sure would be awesome if Mac could somehow pull this off and grab a two-fer.

[video]https://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/breaking-nations-2-qb-recruit-jacob-eason-georgia-commit-has-reached-out-michigan-alabama-florida-and-notre-dame-[/video]

Eason is likely to come as a package-deal with the nation's #1 TE, 5-star Isaac Nauta. Nauta has long been considered leaning to Georgia, but would likely look around more if Richt was no longer the coach. Nauta and Eason have spoken multiple times in the past few days, and have Michigan as ther mutual #1, with Florida a close second.

That would just be sick.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If Mac were to land these two I will officially stop saying he can't recruit.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With the kid from STA coming in year after next. I assume he would redshirt Grier's JR year, and be ready to take the reins as a RS freshmen if Will decided to leave early. I doubt the Eason kid wants to tote a clipboard behind Grier the next few years. We already have a kid ready to take over after Grier leaves that actually wants to be a gator.The tight end would be the bigger get of the two.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n307066 said:
If Mac were to land these two I will officially stop saying he can't recruit.

Wait, you're on record that a coach that hasn't been here for a full recruiting cycle, and up until the games were played, hadn't been able to display his coaching style, can't recruit?

Do you always :suicide2: before giving people an opportunity to do their job?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n307078 said:
With the kid from STA coming in year after next. I assume he would redshirt Grier's JR year, and be ready to take the reins as a RS freshmen if Will decided to leave early. I doubt the Eason kid wants to tote a clipboard behind Grier the next few years. We already have a kid ready to take over after Grier leaves that actually wants to be a gator.The tight end would be the bigger get of the two.
I'm sure he will take that into consideration, only here's the thing, It's very unlikely that Grier's suspension will be shortened. I'm fairly certain that kid could come in as a true freshman and beat out Harris, so the question is, how confident is he that he can hild off Grier when he becomes eligible again. I want a QB that believes he can come in here and take the job. If he isn't confident that he can, then he can go somewhere else.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n307082 said:
I'm sure he will take that into consideration, only here's the thing, It's very unlikely that Grier's suspension will be shortened. I'm fairly certain that kid could come in as a true freshman and beat out Harris, so the question is, how confident is he that he can hild off Grier when he becomes eligible again. I want a QB that believes he can come in here and take the job. If he isn't confident that he can, then he can go somewhere else.

I've seen a number of true freshmen start in our league. Seldom are the results pretty. Besides if the kid is so hellbent on playing for a loser like Richt I don't want him near Gainesville.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n307089 said:
I've seen a number of true freshmen start in our league. Seldom are the results pretty. Besides if the kid is so hellbent on playing for a loser like Richt I don't want him near Gainesville.

Not sure it's necessarily Richt he's looking to play for, but rather the style and opportunity to play working out for him.
Most true freshmen are immature and don't completely grasp the game at the college level, that's when you see bad results. I think that kid looks as ready as he'll ever be to step on the field. That's not to say there wouldn't be growing pains with adjustments to the speed at the college level, etc, however I just don't buy into the notion that someone can't compete in big time SEC football, just because they are true freshmen. Take Callaway for example. He's not playing like a true freshman, hell he's playing smarter than some NFL receivers right now. Some players just have IT.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n307092 said:
Not sure it's necessarily Richt he's looking to play for, but rather the style and opportunity to play working out for him.
Most true freshmen are immature and don't completely grasp the game at the college level, that's when you see bad results. I think that kid looks as ready as he'll ever be to step on the field. That's not to say there wouldn't be growing pains with adjustments to the speed at the college level, etc, however I just don't buy into the notion that someone can't compete in big time SEC football, just because they are true freshmen. Take Callaway for example. He's not playing like a true freshman, hell he's playing smarter than some NFL receivers right now. Some players just have IT.

I get what you're saying. I was talking about True freshmen QB's in our league.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n307078 said:
With the kid from STA coming in year after next. I assume he would redshirt Grier's JR year,
Grier is eligible to leave next year. He will be a top three round pick IMO even if he only plays half the season.

We may not be able to wait.

I kniw some of you will be stiking a fork in your eye if you have to watch Treon start at least six games in 2016 and be the starter in 2017.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n307094 said:
I get what you're saying. I was talking about True freshmen QB's in our league.
I agree to some extent, however, I just don't write them off that easily.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm not sure we have any realistic shot of landing Eason. As has been mentioned, he's an EE and has been a solid commit to uga for some time. The Wolverines have always been in the picture, as have the Irish, I believe. But when you hear him or the father speak, they don't come across as the impulse decision type. Our best bet is probably him and the TE ending up at Michigan. All that said, this wouldn't be the first time Richt has had a great QB that was "destined" to change uga's fortunes. Stafford was supposed to be that and failed. Murray was supposed to be that, and accomplished nothing other than beating Muschamp 3 times. I'dstill rather top players end up elsewhere, but if it's still MR running the show it really won't matter all that much.

I always kind of scratch my head at these scenarios though. The dad has openly acknowledged that they're monitoring the coaching situation in case there's a change, primarily because the next coach might not run the same offense. If nothing else, that tells you that a bad year next year and Richt's almost certainly gone. Why even risk that when your other option is a trending UM team with a proven winner at the top? It makes no sense at all. Still glad the Griers made a similar decision with us, but I think it's a crazy risk.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n307100 said:
Grier is eligible to leave next year. He will be a top three round pick IMO even if he only plays half the season.

We may not be able to wait.

I kniw some of you will be stiking a fork in your eye if you have to watch Treon start at least six games in 2016 and be the starter in 2017.

Grier will not be going pro after next season. Nor do I think, even with his talent, are NFL teams going to risk drafting him after only starting (maybe) a combined total of one season. I get the angle you are coming from here, he's pretty damn talented, however, I just think you're wrong here.

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
The way i see this is w' Mac even getting consideration for this duo is a huge plus for the Gators! We may not get these kids but w' all the recruiting buzz and attention surrounding the Gators we may be able to snag a Feleipe Franks or a DeWayne Haskins. All Elite 11 QB's and all better than anyone we have committed or signed in these last two classes.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta factor in how H.S. QB's nowadays have been to pro-like QB camps that for some elevate their mechanics
and FB IQ. It's not your Grandpa's freshman anymore.

Eason has probably had UGa parphelalia in his room since he was 10. So don't count on him using his rational
brain in considering UGa.

Anyway, aren't there other better H.S. QBs across the nation. Would love to get one of
those that were 6'5" with the quickest release.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorRaz;307106 said:
The way i see this is w' Mac even getting consideration for this duo is a huge plus for the Gators! We may not get these kids but w' all the recruiting buzz and attention surrounding the Gators we may be able to snag a Feleipe Franks or a DeWayne Haskins. All Elite 11 QB's and all better than anyone we have committed or signed in these last two classes.

I don't know about that. Grier was a top quarterback.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n307104 said:
Grier will not be going pro after next season. Nor do I think, even with his talent, are NFL teams going to risk drafting him after only starting (maybe) a combined total of one season. I get the angle you are coming from here, he's pretty damn talented, however, I just think you're wrong here.
Im not saying he is leaving, Im saying his eligible to leave. People seem to forget that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n307315 said:
Originally posted by URGatorBait View Post

Im not saying he is leaving, Im saying his eligible to leave. People seem to forget that.

Sounds to me when you say "we may not be able to wait", you are suggesting that it's likely he would go.

I'm suggesting that it's highly likely he won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.