6 Parting Shots from UT's win vs. Ohio

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Some good takeaways/tidbits from Tennessee's unimpressive game vs. Ohio:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...essee-win-over-ohio-heading-into-florida-week

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee’s 28-19 victory over Ohio wasn’t too inspiring on the surface.

Certainly Coach Butch Jones voiced his displeasure with the 14th-ranked Vols (3-0) fumbling the ball five times and committing nine penalties for 94 yards.

“We can’t have the catastrophic penalties that we had,” Jones said Saturday. “This football team lacks consistency right now. We had a lot of momentum-killers from penalties and too many balls on the ground.”

Tennessee is also down seven starters from the depth chart most projected headed into fall drills, five on defense, two on offense.

Here are five parting shots from the victory over the Bobcats, with an eye toward Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. game with 19th-ranked Florida (3-0):

1. The Injuries

The Vols know they will be without All-SEC cornerback Cameron Sutton, and Jones said middle linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. is “doubtful.” The “questionable” category going into the week would include linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin, offensive lineman Chance Hall, defensive end LaTroy Lewis and receiver Josh Smith. Cornerback Justin Martin should be back, while nickleback Malik Foreman’s suspension was indefinite.

2. The fumbles

Tennessee has fumbled the ball 11 times — and lost just one of them. The Vols do work on fumble recoveries, but any way you look at it, that’s pretty fortunate. Especially when you consider opponents have fumbled seven times and lost five of them. In summation: Tennessee has recovered 15 of the 18 fumbles that have occurred in their three games.

3. The offensive line

The Vols have been bad up front, like, take a look at changing coaches or practice procedures at the end of the season bad. Tennessee entered this season as one of the mot experienced units in the SEC, and most equate experience with improvement. That has not happened, and the Vols’ rotation looks to be more out of desperation than strategy. UT has allowed 2.33 sacks per game — 84th-worst in the nation — and even worse when one considers the escapability of Josh Dobbs.

4. What about Josh Dobbs?

Dobbs has led Tennessee to nine straight victories, and he’s as dangerous as ever once he tucks the ball to run. Dobbs’ has UT’s longest run of the season (40 yards) and his 37 carries for 161 yards are second on the team to Jalen Hurd (65-270). But passing the ball, Dobbs has been inconsistent; his QB efficiency rating is 66th (132.8). Dobbs has 6 TD passes and 3 interceptions.

5. The defense

Remember when coordinator Bob Shoop said no one would run on the Orange Swarm? Well injuries have taken some sting out of that sentiment with both linebackers out, UT ranks 71st in the country in run defense, allowing 152.7 yards per game on the ground. More than anything else, how the Vols’ defense stops the Gators’ run will determine Saturday’s outcome.

6. The mindset

Tennessee focused on a fast start, and the Vols got it, opening the game with a three-play, 55-yard TD drive. Tennessee has appeared disengaged at times this season, and players have come across as disinterested in media interviews leading up to the first three games. Human nature would suggest the Florida game has cast a shadow over what amounts to preseason contests.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a good list of where Tenn is. They are in pretty bad shape, from coaching to injuries to their state of mind.

This stands out to me (if we can get some solid production from AA and no turnovers I think we should be able to run the ball....well, maybe between the 20's):

UT ranks 71st in the country in run defense, allowing 152.7 yards per game on the ground.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Human nature would suggest the Florida game has cast a shadow over what amounts to preseason contests.

This is the part that scares me about this game. They are at home and they want this one bad. This is their championship game. There will be a lot of emotion and we need to come out early and take it away. A big play early or a sack or something to silence the crowd will be huge!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is the part that scares me about this game. They are at home and they want this one bad. This is their championship game. There will be a lot of emotion and we need to come out early and take it away. A big play early or a sack or something to silence the crowd will be huge!

Its been this way every year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Its been this way every year.

True and we have been close to losing the last 2 years. Our OL hasn't played really well yet and we are going in with a backup QB. I'm not saying we are going to lose, but I'm definitely worried about this game.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
True and we have been close to losing the last 2 years. Our OL hasn't played really well yet and we are going in with a backup QB. I'm not saying we are going to lose, but I'm definitely worried about this game.
You know what close to losing means, right?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You know what close to losing means, right?

I don't think any of the previous games mean anything to this one. The reality is that these are two teams that have looked very mediocre in their first 3 games.

I know Tenn hasn't looked good, but I don't think we have looked very good either against bad teams. Our offense struggled against UNT with Del Rio and now we have to play our backup. We haven't played an offense that is good enough to test our D so we have no idea how good they are. This will be our first test to see if our OL or DL can play this year. Everything is still an unknown.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think any of the previous games mean anything to this one. The reality is that these are two teams that have looked very mediocre in their first 3 games.

I know Tenn hasn't looked good, but I don't think we have looked very good either against bad teams. Our offense struggled against UNT with Del Rio and now we have to play our backup. We haven't played an offense that is good enough to test our D so we have no idea how good they are. This will be our first test to see if our OL or DL can play this year. Everything is still an unknown.
Not the point I'm making at all. You say close to losing like that's a bad thing, when close to losing = winning.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

With all the media love UT has gotten, I think our players want to win this game more than they have in the last 10 years.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not the point I'm making at all. You say close to losing like that's a bad thing, when close to losing = winning.

Yes... it is still winning, but I'm also not acting like we are dominating them every year. We could have lost those games, so I am unsure how everybody is so confident about this one. I just don't get the confidence based on the quality of our teams play.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think someone on the Defense should post a "Not on our watch" sign in the locker room. This defense is just flat out suffocating.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
The reality is that these are two teams that have looked very mediocre in their first 3 games.

The defense has absolutely not "looked very mediocre" this year. Ditto for the special teams.

You can argue that the level of competition has not been top notch. That's legit, but we have "looked good" consistently in two phases of the game, and sporadically good on offense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The defense has absolutely not "looked very mediocre" this year. Ditto for the special teams.

You can argue that the level of competition has not been top notch. That's legit, but we have "looked good" consistently in two phases of the game, and sporadically good on offense.

The TEAM has looked mediocre. Yes the defense has played very well and dominated, but like you said the level of competition has not been very good, so we have no idea. The offense has looked mediocre at best. It looked good against UK, but very bad against UMASS and UNT. When you can't convert a 4th and 2 against UNT there is a problem.

I have no idea if the defense can stop a running game because they haven't really faced one yet. I have no idea if our offense will be able to score against even an average SEC defense.

Basically... I still don't think we know anything about this team yet, especially with Appleby at QB.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The TEAM has looked mediocre. Yes the defense has played very well and dominated, but like you said the level of competition has not been very good, so we have no idea. The offense has looked mediocre at best. It looked good against UK, but very bad against UMASS and UNT. When you can't convert a 4th and 2 against UNT there is a problem.

I have no idea if the defense can stop a running game because they haven't really faced one yet. I have no idea if our offense will be able to score against even an average SEC defense.

Basically... I still don't think we know anything about this team yet, especially with Appleby at QB.
You're the L-Boy of the Mains Sports Forum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator