A few things

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I keep reading articles from the big sites like espn basically saying how we lucked in to a win, LSU dominated for the majority of the game, if it wasn't this or that. Well, first, Guice didn't just drop the ball. Brantley knocked it out of his hand. Secondly, we shot ourselves in the foot with that play call on 3rd and inches at the 1. There were multiple trips where we should have walked away with a td instead of 3. There's ifs and buts on both sides but at the end of the day our 3 star backups whipped the **** out of their 5 star starters in the trenches. Guice went the wrong way on the final play, but we spotted them the points to even be in contention for one final play to begin with.

I've already re watched the game and I'm still very uncertain about the play calling offensively. This is how I felt in 2012. Can we constantly be good playing by the skin of our teeth? You don't keep your job at uf if you're not an eventual hall of famer these days. But can Mac win a natty? If jimbo can, Mac can. Jimbo is the most over rated, mediocre offensive mind in the game. Mac needs a qb. It's fairly simple. We still have yet to field one who can make decisions to extend drives without it being fully scripted for him. I think our prospects for next year are being painted a little brighter than one might think.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep Nuss didn't call a good game at all imo. We have to hope Franks is the answer at QB because we know LDR isn't.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
listening to the post-game press conference, Mac didn't seem to be too pleased with Nuss's play calling.

This win is great for Gator Nation and in my mind it cements Mac as a good coach for the Gators, however, I still think Nuss and Nord gotta go...

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
listening to the post-game press conference, Mac didn't seem to be too pleased with Nuss's play calling.

This win is great for Gator Nation and in my mind it cements Mac as a good coach for the Gators, however, I still think Nuss and Nord gotta go...

Cliff notes?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I hate to let Butters in on a little secret, but Butters hears every play call on that head set from NUSS and he is standing right next to him the entire game. Here is what Butters should say often: "You called WHAT? I don;t think so. QB sneak on 2, Ready, Break!!!!!"

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Cliff notes?

A reporter asked for Mac's thoughts on the run game and he said "we put a pretty good dent in a good defense. We should have kept putting dents in them." Another reporter asked to clarify and he basically said...you saw the game, we should have kept pounding them. I wanted to pound it at them. Then he digressed into praise for the O-line and threw shade at all the fans who questioned the O-line.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is the play calling a lack of confidence in the player's ability? System too complex for personnel?

I think both play a role.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
A reporter asked for Mac's thoughts on the run game and he said "we put a pretty good dent in a good defense. We should have kept putting dents in them." Another reporter asked to clarify and he basically said...you saw the game, we should have kept pounding them. I wanted to pound it at them. Then he digressed into praise for the O-line and threw shade at all the fans who questioned the O-line.

Ok yea I heard that. Good to know he isnt pleased with the playcalling

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Luckily the mike got turned off where Mac said : "I'm glad our pounders came through late in the game and
changed my mind about putting Del Rio in."

Seriously, Mac's The Florida Gators' Head Coach. His needs to purge all his "shyness" against Spurrierizing
his decisiveness on pulling those who play below our needs and "shyness" against undumbing
our playcalling.

>> PS >> when I typed "Spurrierizing" my spell check asked if I meant = "Spurrier zings" = the man has
made his mark. Go Great Gators. Get on board our past Gator Greats = bring Grossman in for a seminar. Or use him on the scout team to rep a sharp passing opponent QB.

Injecting Gator greats, preceded by videos of their O&B heroics, into pre-practice film-room huddle days should put fire in their guts for whatever upcoming game. Best way to start a tradition of dominating is to visually show our tradition of dominating Gator Greats.

C'mon Coach, bring the "All 4 One" strivers back alive for our "ready-to-be-emotional" developing Gators. (Can very well tie Spurrier to these higher education teaching sessions.)
Your million dollars assignment, Mr. Mac, is to develop Players & Program.

Jim McElwain, CEO of "the Gator transformation", you must continually put pressure on your brain to harness
all the resources that UF has & can have = on film &/or in person. Hell, if Saban can use Richardson at in game
contact simulation, then surely you can devise an NCAA allowable involvement of our past Gator Greats. Let'em
give you a personal "pep-talk", surely our past greats can give RB seminars on securing handoffs, on QB scanning for various WRs, etc. =
We've got K.Bell's comeback vs Auburn in waning minutes of 4thQ.
Emmitt Smith, a fully on-board Gator fan, NFL greatest. (Let our players dance with the stars. )
Got Rex Grossman, a true QB gunslinger.
Alex Brown to do a Richardson/Saban demo on fooling & shedding blockers. Etc. Etc.
Hey Coach Mac, you need ETC ! Now ! Get started and start us all.{or else someone else will.}

Last edited:

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I will take "lucked into a win" any day over "lucked into a loss." Most of those so-called experts picked LSU so it is quite natural they are trying to rationalize why and how the Gator could possibly go into BR and win. Had to be luck. (rolls eyes) Whatever.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had a QB with "it'!

He's now playing somewhere else....

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I hate to let Butters in on a little secret, but Butters hears every play call on that head set from NUSS and he is standing right next to him the entire game.
Mac is an offensive guy, a former OC for Saban. He's got nobody to blame but himself. I can't believe he is not part of the game-planning and most certainly has the right to overturn anything shakey then or in-game. Maybe he trusts Nuss too much? If so, that is a doomsday mistake IMO. A lot of my perceptions of the staff hierarchy and how it runs is puzzling. You've got to have opinions and ideas from the staff when preparing the plan, but Mac can't run it like a Bob Newhart Show support group...he's got to be Machiavellian for a good part of it, if I'm reading correctly.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've already re watched the game and I'm still very uncertain about the play calling offensively. This is how I felt in 2012. Can we constantly be good playing by the skin of our teeth? You don't keep your job at uf if you're not an eventual hall of famer these days. But can Mac win a natty? If jimbo can, Mac can. Jimbo is the most over rated, mediocre offensive mind in the game. Mac needs a qb. It's fairly simple. We still have yet to field one who can make decisions to extend drives without it being fully scripted for him. I think our prospects for next year are being painted a little brighter than one might think.

Agree on the 2012 comparison. I'll take a big win like this all day long and even Meyer & Spurrier had wins like this. But this is McElwain and it needs to improve drastically for us to be a title contender. I just hope fans don't do like they did in 2012 and think everything is fine. It's not. We need a QB and improved offense or we ain't gonna win SEC titles or NC's.

As far as the "luck" comments from the "pundits". Sure, we did get lucky. Look how many times other teams get lucky too. In close games there are plays that go either way that are "lucky". I'll take it. This game was pretty even and LSU probably did "shoot themselves" more than we did in this one. Who cares? We won.

As far as Fisher goes, he's better than mediocre. I hate to admit it, but it's true. Outside of Gator message boards, the guy is a commodity and fairly well respected in coaching circles. That's why he's being pursued by other schools (Texas and LSU would take him in a heartbeat and Bama would pursue him, among others, if Saban were to leave). He's not Urban or Saban, but he's a very good coach. His best asset is he's hired very good assistants (he had SIX new coaches on his staff the year he won the NC). We need McElwain to follow suit. We have some mediocre assistants on our staff and we're not going to go very far if McElwain hangs onto them. There are some mediocre coaches AND recruiters that need to go. I think one of the reasons FSU is slumping (somewhat) this year is he's hired a few not-so-good assistants (namely his new DC that was promoted after Pruitt left). Let's see if Mac does the right thing this offseason. I'd say his future depends on it.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
You don't luck into winning anything with a backup reject qb from the big 10, your third string, 5 foot 9 center, and missing your all Americans at safety and linebacker. We spotted THEM the opportunity to win, with bad play calling down the stretch, not the other way around.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Agree on the 2012 comparison. I'll take a big win like this all day long and even Meyer & Spurrier had wins like this. But this is McElwain and it needs to improve drastically for us to be a title contender. I just hope fans don't do like they did in 2012 and think everything is fine. It's not. We need a QB and improved offense or we ain't gonna win SEC titles or NC's.

As far as the "luck" comments from the "pundits". Sure, we did get lucky. Look how many times other teams get lucky too. In close games there are plays that go either way that are "lucky". I'll take it. This game was pretty even and LSU probably did "shoot themselves" more than we did in this one. Who cares? We won.

As far as Fisher goes, he's better than mediocre. I hate to admit it, but it's true. Outside of Gator message boards, the guy is a commodity and fairly well respected in coaching circles. That's why he's being pursued by other schools (Texas and LSU would take him in a heartbeat and Bama would pursue him, among others, if Saban were to leave). He's not Urban or Saban, but he's a very good coach. His best asset is he's hired very good assistants (he had SIX new coaches on his staff the year he won the NC). We need McElwain to follow suit. We have some mediocre assistants on our staff and we're not going to go very far if McElwain hangs onto them. There are some mediocre coaches AND recruiters that need to go. I think one of the reasons FSU is slumping (somewhat) this year is he's hired a few not-so-good assistants (namely his new DC that was promoted after Pruitt left). Let's see if Mac does the right thing this offseason. I'd say his future depends on it.
Fishers offenses were beyond mediocre at LSU and they've been mediocre every year he hasn't had Jamie's and that's not opinion. Manuel and ponder should have never been taken in the first round and that is also fact. The fat lard ass from LSU shouldn't have either. He put up a half of a good season statistically his ENTIRE college career, and that was his junior year capped with a good win over Notre Dame. He recruits as good as anybody, but with his schedule, and the talent difference, the fact he has 3 losses in a year they were favored to be in the playoffs says it all to me.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
BMF-

Agree everything isn't great. Much improvement needed, but as a pumper I can enjoy the win, especially with all the youth showing promise.

As for jimbo the clown, he's a good coach but overrated. He benefited from shameus plus all the offensive recruiting in Florida resulting from meyer's demise and muschamp's tenure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.