A Few Thoughts Post UF-FSU

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, that didn't turn out as hoped, but it was close. Settling for four FG's was a harbinger, unfortunately, of things to be offensively. We played good enough defensively to win IMO, but the final chapter of Champ's book would read like several prior. Anyhow, here are some thoughts to ponder and add to:

*The two QB's were, to borrow from Charles Barkley, "Turrible!" Ours was "Turrible-er." I'm not sold on him moving past this season. He has made a few good throws and runs throughout the season, but he is not consistent. He may have had a spark, but leadership? Better than Driskel, but not what this team needs from this positon IMO. He disn't display the patience needed in the passing game late to give us a chance. I commented to our gang watching the game after his second long attempt and incompletion on the final drive that we had time to work with and that he didn't need to look deep exclusively (later echoed by Kirk on the broadcast). When he finally looked intermediate on fourth down, he made a poor throw to Robinson that would have required a super catch to convert. I know he rolled the pocket, so I assume he threw back right while drifting left though I can't remember for sure. Poor mechanics if so. If he wasn't pressured (and pass pro yesterday was the OL highlight) he had time to square up and set his feet. Maybe he can be coached past this. I can only hope Grier is as good as advertised, but we'll have to see. One way or another, the new HBC needs to find us a player at this position. *Edit - just saw the replay and his feet were set on the throw to Robinson. Poor throw in a most crucial moment.

*Maybe the key play of the game was the pick six. Two screw ups in one...Harris threw a bullet unnecessarily and it was to Westbrook (don't know that I would have ever called his number again after the LSU game, but I'm a little hard-hearted in this respect). Still, it immediately reversed the momentum and helped keep Bizzaro Cinderella alive for one more week.

*No other way to describe it, but the OL flat out got their asses handed to them while trying to run block. I can only think of one Matt Jones run late and a couple by Harris that were longer than three yards. All the linemen were bad, but I could not help but focus somewhat on Tyler Moore. Two holding penalties while getting whipped pretty much sums it up. I can only hope he reconsiders the advice someone gave him and he took about applying for the draft. Hopefully he will depart with a diploma regardless.

The ACC refs were incompetent, as one might expect. They did not cost us the game nor hand it to FSU, but they were bad. The side judge on our sideline was the worst. I'm not necessarily defending Pittman, but his block wasn't a hold to start with and it is hard for me to think that he said something egregious enough to warrant a flag for unsportsmanlike while backing up with hands raised, but maybe he did. I guess he should have seen the guy with his hand on his pistol, er flag, all the while. Big ears and an itchy trigger finger equals poor official.

*Pleased to see Anzalone get in and make some plays. Can't believe Jimbo tried the fake punt, but Alex was up to the measure. Hoping him, Rolin, and others will step up big next year. With some more bulk and no loss of speed, he can be a MLB for us.

*Would liked for Austin to have converted his last two attempts, but glad he made his first four. It's taken a while and he has more work to do, but he can be good his last two years. Here's hoping he continues to improve.

*What a difference it could have been if McNeely could have scooped and scored on the blocked punt! Still, we should have converted with a TD. Another in a long line of "what ifs!"

Champ is history and I am holding out hope that we get a good one as the next HBC. Who it's going to be is anybody's guess. I hope we will know by the 8th as has been mentioned. We need to salvage a good recruiting class (a little heavier with offensive talent tan before would be nice) and hang on to any who might jump but don't need to. We'll see. Here's to a successful bowl outing. Go Gators!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was actually surprised the refs called as many penalties on FSU as they did even though they screwed us some. As far as Harris I don't think he did that bad considering he is a true freshman and our offense is still a mess. I think with Spring and another camp he will improve a lot.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
pretty much spot on! as bad as our o-line and qb play was we still had a chance to win this game. poor coaching sealed our fate imo. that last drive we were inside the 50, we had all our time outs.fsu was gassed and it was under 3min. the playcalls were 2 bombs and a poor pass behind the reciever!. classic poor game management!

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we did convert on the blocked punt (or as it was ruled, fumble)..could be wrong, haven't seen a replay. Didn't it go to Burton for the TD pass on the left side?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Magnificent post. Play calling was abysmal the last drive as well. How we didn't even mix in a run in the last 2.5 minutes of the drive to at least make the down and distance manageable is mind boggling. And why is it that neither Harris nor Driskel know how to do a hurry up offense?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n119489 said:
I thought we did convert on the blocked punt (or as it was ruled, fumble)..could be wrong, haven't seen a replay. Didn't it go to Burton for the TD pass on the left side?

You are correct.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Leroy Jenkins;n119489 said:

Yes

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
That last drive was totally pathetic..Herbie seems to think it was all on the Freshman QB but there is no way in my mind that the OC or Muschamp didn't tell him to throw deep...no way he goes against what they tell him for three straight passes....we had TIME!

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n119487 said:
pretty much spot on! as bad as our o-line and qb play was we still had a chance to win this game. poor coaching sealed our fate imo. that last drive we were inside the 50, we had all our time outs.fsu was gassed and it was under 3min. the playcalls were 2 bombs and a poor pass behind the reciever!. classic poor game management!

Only thing I would add was poor decision making by Poole on his pick. He had (at least on TV) WIDE-OPEN field toward the sideline and he cut inside and got tackled. Don't know if he would have had a pick-6, but CERTAINLY would have had many more yards. Cannot figure out how he couldn't see this, unless there was someone to the outside that we didn't see on TV. I know he stumbled after catching it, but he recovered, and that brief stumble could not have affected the remainder of his run, especially at the point where he cut inside.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Gatoravatara;n119496 said:
You forgot to talk about the last drive where we acted as if we had 20 sec on the clock w/ no timeouts. I could stomach all of the other bad stuff, but that 2 min drill was inexcusable. All we had to to was score and run out the clock. There was a perfect amount of time on the clock to do so and the criminole defense was tired. We only needed 2.5 yards per down. Treon could have run for that himself. What where they thinking?

It felt like the last possession was WM's way of giving me the finger and saying "See, I told you we can't pass it downfield."

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
SavannahGator;n119504 said:
Only thing I would add was poor decision making by Poole on his pick. He had (at least on TV) WIDE-OPEN field toward the sideline and he cut inside and got tackled. Don't know if he would have had a pick-6, but CERTAINLY would have had many more yards. Cannot figure out how he couldn't see this, unless there was someone to the outside that we didn't see on TV. I know he stumbled after catching it, but he recovered, and that brief stumble could not have affected the remainder of his run, especially at the point where he cut inside.

its funny you mentioned this because i was looking at the screen saying if he doesnt get to the endzone we wont score! and imo he wasnt looking to score but to get tackled. but i was heavy in the bottle at that point

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n119506 said:
It felt like the last possession was WM's way of giving me the finger and saying "See, I told you we can't pass it downfield."
:rotfl:

You mean saying it AGAIN.

And by firing him, we said "See, I told you they don't get tired of tackling Matt Jones in the fourth quarter and you should have learned more than 'Don't lose your starting QB' last season."

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
For someone who preached tough hard nosed run it down their throat mentally tough blue collar football Muschamp flubbed the dub.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A 'pretty much' post Cover2. Hopefully, the bipolar preparedness of our team and the dolt-like decision making of some highly paid adults is behind us now.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Good to hear your input. Haven't really heard from you since before the Georgia game I think.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n119504 said:

I said the same thing when I saw it and then Kirk said the same thing. You have to convert free points when you can and we failed to. I don't know why he cut in...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
4 picks - 6 points is the story of the game and of Muschamp's disgusting career at UF - 2-6 vs UGA & FSUcks.

Thank the Lord it is over.

Nice post Cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member