Sep 7, 2014
This game was a fitting end to the Muschamp era;

1) Soft o-line play
2) Unimaginative play calling
3) Dropped passes
4) Over throwing wide open receivers
5) Bone headed penalties at the worst time
6) Scrong defense for most of the game

This one game perfectly personifies Muschamp's tenure here and he should watch the tape and hold his head in shame.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n119489 said:
I thought we did convert on the blocked punt (or as it was ruled, fumble)..could be wrong, haven't seen a replay. Didn't it go to Burton for the TD pass on the left side?
It may have. I was drinking beer at the time!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n119496 said:
You forgot to talk about the last drive where we acted as if we had 20 sec on the clock w/ no timeouts. I could stomach all of the other bad stuff, but that 2 min drill was inexcusable. All we had to to was score and run out the clock. There was a perfect amount of time on the clock to do so and the criminole defense was tired. We only needed 2.5 yards per down. Treon could have run for that himself. What where they thinking?
I did speak to it in the QB piece, but I agree that it was a poorly managed cluster. Almost had the feeling that Harris was told simply "Here, go win it" and he did what a freshman would do...go for the long strike too much while having no concept of the time he had to work with. Coaching error for sure.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n119575 said:
Good to hear your input. Haven't really heard from you since before the Georgia game I think.
Been pretty busy this fall and since a change in HBC is coming, it isn't so negative heavy, which was a big turn off to me in-season. Looking for better days ahead. Thanks, Coach.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Nice post, cover. It is good to see you back on here again and hopefully we can have hope once again. I just hate we will have to wait 9 months to see a new coach and team. Maybe we need to walk away from it and clear our negativity anyway.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator98MD;n119607 said:
Thanks coach muschamp for giving your all for 4 years. Good luck in your future endeavors.

:barfaway:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great post.

The 2 min drill defied logic both in the fact that we had plenty of time to stay balanced, but also in that a quick score would've only given the "cinderella" noles that much more time to come down and get a FG to win it, with a clutch kicker. Given the circumstances, it was 4 years wrapped up in a single possession thought process.

On the Poole play, while I agree that you have to take free points whenever you have them, I think the fact that we're viewing a 10 yard-line starting point, with a turnover and all momentum, as a challenge to get in for 6 is the signature problem of our offense. Poole should've been able to take a knee and go to the sidelines with full confidence that his team was about to be up 16(12 at the absolute worst). That "OMG WE HAVE TO SCORE ON THIS PLAY" mindset is exactly why we didn't have a first and goal at the 5 against Usce on Treon's late TD run. The team doesn't have the confidence that we can be successful, so any time there's even a hint of a chance for a score, they lose all focus and do something illadvised. As a DB, he did his job perfectly, imo.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gave another game away, 2014 in a nutshell. Only game we were truly outplayed was Bama, but we still lost five games. Maddening.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n119698 said:
Great post.

The 2 min drill defied logic both in the fact that we had plenty of time to stay balanced, but also in that a quick score would've only given the "cinderella" noles that much more time to come down and get a FG to win it, with a clutch kicker. Given the circumstances, it was 4 years wrapped up in a single possession thought process.

On the Poole play, while I agree that you have to take free points whenever you have them, I think the fact that we're viewing a 10 yard-line starting point, with a turnover and all momentum, as a challenge to get in for 6 is the signature problem of our offense. Poole should've been able to take a knee and go to the sidelines with full confidence that his team was about to be up 16(12 at the absolute worst). That "OMG WE HAVE TO SCORE ON THIS PLAY" mindset is exactly why we didn't have a first and goal at the 5 against Usce on Treon's late TD run. The team doesn't have the confidence that we can be successful, so any time there's even a hint of a chance for a score, they lose all focus and do something illadvised. As a DB, he did his job perfectly, imo.

While I think if Poole had stayed on his feet on his first INT, he scores or gets it inside the 5, I believe the return they were talking about was his 2nd INT in the 3rd quarter. I was on that side of the field in the endzone and it looked like he had a lane to the outside and could have scored if he had the speed. He cut it inside, we miss a field goal a few plays later (I think)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n119740 said:
Gave another game away, 2014 in a nutshell. Only game we were truly outplayed was Bama, but we still lost five games. Maddening.

I really believe that with a good head coach this team would have 9-10 wins and playing in Atlanta.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fishon;n119744 said:
While I think if Poole had stayed on his feet on his first INT, he scores or gets it inside the 5, I believe the return they were talking about was his 2nd INT in the 3rd quarter. I was on that side of the field in the endzone and it looked like he had a lane to the outside and could have scored if he had the speed. He cut it inside, we miss a field goal a few plays later (I think)

Got it. My mistake.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n119811 said:
I really believe that with a good head coach this team would have 9-10 wins and playing in Atlanta.

The worst SEC East since its inception? That's not saying much and echos how crappy Muschamp was as a coach.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent post as always Cover. I was glad to see Anzalone out there as well. I feel he is going to be a special player for us. Kinda in the mold of James Bates. Can't wait to see what a new staff will do with these kids.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
Excellent post! Three things about the game that struck me. One, now the offensive line can pass protect but can't run block. Two, Harris is a short quarterback. I'm surprised he hasn't had more passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. On his last pass to Robinson that he threw behind him, I thought he might have had to throw to a lane because of the location of defenders. I haven't watched it again, but that's what struck me when I saw it. Third, I would love to have seen what Adam Lane could have done running the footbal. I guess we'll have to wait for the next coaching staff for promising players to get a shot during a game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To me, the blocked punt was a perfect example of Muschamp ball. Folks, there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to jump on a blocked punt. Scoop and score no matter what. If FSU falls on it, its still our ball. Geez, this is fundamental stuff that anybody on a punt block team should know instinctively. Its like knocking down a 4th down pass instead of intercepting it. Basic headwork is completely lacking and its so frustrating to watch. The last "drive," was a perfect example as well. Almost no situational awareness displayed by anybody. 1 ten yard run and one pass interference penalty is all we can muster as our pitch and catch crew goes 0 for 7 with the game on the line.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
cover2;n119468 said:
Well, that didn't turn out as hoped, but it was close. Settling for four FG's was a harbinger, unfortunately, of things to be offensively. We played good enough defensively to win IMO, but the final chapter of Champ's book would read like several prior. Anyhow, here are some thoughts to ponder and add to:

*The two QB's were, to borrow from Charles Barkley, "Turrible!" Ours was "Turrible-er." I'm not sold on him moving past this season. He has made a few good throws and runs throughout the season, but he is not consistent. He may have had a spark, but leadership? Better than Driskel, but not what this team needs from this positon IMO. He disn't display the patience needed in the passing game late to give us a chance. I commented to our gang watching the game after his second long attempt and incompletion on the final drive that we had time to work with and that he didn't need to look deep exclusively (later echoed by Kirk on the broadcast). When he finally looked intermediate on fourth down, he made a poor throw to Robinson that would have required a super catch to convert. I know he rolled the pocket, so I assume he threw back right while drifting left though I can't remember for sure. Poor mechanics if so. If he wasn't pressured (and pass pro yesterday was the OL highlight) he had time to square up and set his feet. Maybe he can be coached past this. I can only hope Grier is as good as advertised, but we'll have to see. One way or another, the new HBC needs to find us a player at this position. *Edit - just saw the replay and his feet were set on the throw to Robinson. Poor throw in a most crucial moment.

*Maybe the key play of the game was the pick six. Two screw ups in one...Harris threw a bullet unnecessarily and it was to Westbrook (don't know that I would have ever called his number again after the LSU game, but I'm a little hard-hearted in this respect). Still, it immediately reversed the momentum and helped keep Bizzaro Cinderella alive for one more week.

*No other way to describe it, but the OL flat out got their asses handed to them while trying to run block. I can only think of one Matt Jones run late and a couple by Harris that were longer than three yards. All the linemen were bad, but I could not help but focus somewhat on Tyler Moore. Two holding penalties while getting whipped pretty much sums it up. I can only hope he reconsiders the advice someone gave him and he took about applying for the draft. Hopefully he will depart with a diploma regardless.

The ACC refs were incompetent, as one might expect. They did not cost us the game nor hand it to FSU, but they were bad. The side judge on our sideline was the worst. I'm not necessarily defending Pittman, but his block wasn't a hold to start with and it is hard for me to think that he said something egregious enough to warrant a flag for unsportsmanlike while backing up with hands raised, but maybe he did. I guess he should have seen the guy with his hand on his pistol, er flag, all the while. Big ears and an itchy trigger finger equals poor official.

*Pleased to see Anzalone get in and make some plays. Can't believe Jimbo tried the fake punt, but Alex was up to the measure. Hoping him, Rolin, and others will step up big next year. With some more bulk and no loss of speed, he can be a MLB for us.

*Would liked for Austin to have converted his last two attempts, but glad he made his first four. It's taken a while and he has more work to do, but he can be good his last two years. Here's hoping he continues to improve.

*What a difference it could have been if McNeely could have scooped and scored on the blocked punt! Still, we should have converted with a TD. Another in a long line of "what ifs!"

Champ is history and I am holding out hope that we get a good one as the next HBC. Who it's going to be is anybody's guess. I hope we will know by the 8th as has been mentioned. We need to salvage a good recruiting class (a little heavier with offensive talent tan before would be nice) and hang on to any who might jump but don't need to. We'll see. Here's to a successful bowl outing. Go Gators!

I'm not a Tyler Moore fan but the one holding call (I think it was the second one called on him in a matter of minutes) was a phantom call and complete BS. I believe it negated a 12+ yard gain for a first down. I'm not entirely blaming the refs for the loss as bad play calling, poor execution and failing to capitalize on turnovers all hurt us....however, when the refs blow as many calls in a game as these guys did, it affects the complexion of the game.

I don't think McNeely had a legit chance to scoop and score. I saw the replay several times and there was a FSU defender right on him.

The bigger mistake was Poole breaking inside after his interception. If he breaks outside towards the sideline its a pick 6 easy. Again, not blaming Poole for the loss, he played his tail off and had a very good game but that one decision had a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

The O line did a poor job of run blocking. I still don't know why we didn't try to run the ball outside more often rather than just up the gut.

The play calling was suspect, especially on the last drive.

Frustrating the we left a "W" on the field. We should have won that game.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Basically, we had a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" type season. We just came up short on all of the ones that would have made a real difference

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In fairness, there have been a few bright spots this season.
Weather was kind to us and we got a reprieve against Idaho.
A David and Goliath overtime win against a real killing machine from Kentucky.
The new vaccine seems to be helpful in Bear's battle with his allergies

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator