A Heart-Tug Story

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
30 years ago my Doc sent me for a Glucose Tolerance Testing. (He recognized I was way
low energy when he came to work Tuesday and I was still sitting on the exam-table from Monday.)

Anyway, I got the most exacting Glu-test. It was for 8 hours, in that lab ! ..I drank their high glucose drink 10 oz.
They drew blood every hour for 8 hours. I felt no brain-change.

Then my Doc got the report write-up back = they did the testing and when they saw the results were impossible
they ran the whole series over again = same impossible result. My blood showed absolute zero rise in blood sugar,
thus no influx of insulin. Lacking a name for this disorder, my Doc called it non-reactive hypoglycemia.
Apparently, since it's just me there's no mention of this in medical literature ... not that I've been able to find
in "now & then" checking for 30 years. ?? anybody come across any such ?? Somebody owes me some energy !

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
30 years ago my Doc sent me for a Glucose Tolerance Testing. (He recognized I was way
low energy when he came to work Tuesday and I was still sitting on the exam-table from Monday.)

Anyway, I got the most exacting Glu-test. It was for 8 hours, in that lab ! ..I drank their high glucose drink 10 oz.
They drew blood every hour for 8 hours. I felt no brain-change.

Then my Doc got the report write-up back = they did the testing and when they saw the results were impossible
they ran the whole series over again = same impossible result. My blood showed absolute zero rise in blood sugar,
thus no influx of insulin. Lacking a name for this disorder, my Doc called it non-reactive hypoglycemia.
Apparently, since it's just me there's no mention of this in medical literature ... not that I've been able to find
in "now & then" checking for 30 years. ?? anybody come across any such ?? Somebody owes me some energy !
that's weird

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fotolia_93372202_Subscription_XXL.jpg
Welcome to our practice.

We are pleased that you have chosen us for your care and we will do our best to be sure your experience meets your expectations. We would, of course, like to exceed your expectations, but we have no clue how we could possibly do that and still stay in practice, given what we are being paid.

As part of our efforts to provide conflict of interest transparency, we require, before the feds do, that you sign this Truth in Care Statement.

I , __________, understand that:

1. My doctor has many conflicts of interest

2. Those conflicts of interest include, but are not limited to personal prejudices and subconscious biases

3. My doctor a) works for someone else ___ or b) is self-employed in fee-for-service medicine__ (please check appropriate box) and that either represents a conflict of interest.

4. While I understand and expect that my interests as the patient will be primary and other interests will be secondary, there is no way for me to get the necessary information I need to validate that nor do I expect my doctor to provide it to me on a regular basis

5. I understand that potential conflicts exist when my doctor participates in entrepreneurial ventures, gets paid by industry, is a member of hospital based committees charged with rationally rationing care, acts as an agent of an employer, payer, or government agency, or is being held accountable to optimize societal resources.

6. For the above reasons, I will hold harmless my provider for legal, undisclosed conflicts of interest

Signed, this day ____________

Thank you again for the trust you have bestowed in our practice. We look forward to serving you and your family. Since I will be on a hypertensive drug speakers bureau tour for the next several weeks, please schedule your appointment sufficiently far in advance.

(.....lol.........if you don't know diamonds, be SURE you know your jeweler...)

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In case this wasn't absorbed the first posting :

Back when the FedGov suddenly came out with that "privacy of medical records law", oh there
was panic in the Am Dental Society and all our state & local dental orgs. You would be liable
were you not to have all patients versed and signed in these forms.

Expensive seminars popped up intricately explaining compliance and dangers. After ruining $400
and a good weekend traveling to one seminar, I was at home pouring over that manual. Trying to
come up with my own compliance form for my pragmatic minded farm-community patients. Finally,
tossing the manual, I decided to dissect a copy of the US Congress' law as written. Here is the
perfectly legal privacy form my patients enjoyed reading and signed with a smile >>

"I fully believe Dr. Harrison and his staff will protect my medical privacy better than the
Congressmen who passed this law."

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you guys ever see this? I think it's more common than we know, and likely to get worse under YoMamacare. Sad, very sad.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/10/us/michigan-cancer-doctor-sentenced/
Damn! I've known several people who went through cancer treatments, some survived, some didn't. If diagnosed with terminal cancer myself, I'd probably refuse treatment. Cancer treatment is not something you wish on anyone, except for this guy. I think they should sentence that MFer to 'death by chemo treatments'.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn! I've known several people who went through cancer treatments, some survived, some didn't. If diagnosed with terminal cancer myself, I'd probably refuse treatment. Cancer treatment is not something you wish on anyone, except for this guy. I think they should sentence that MFer to 'death by chemo treatments'.
Yeah me to. Any cancer they could cut out, I'd let them, but chemo sucks beyond belief.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
in all seriousness, you guys need to check out Forks over Knives. It'll keep you from having to do the whole bypass surgery bit
My wife begged me to watch that,. But my health and habits beat the hell out of hers.........Still, I want to see it.
btw my first wife was a clinical dietician (educated at UF) now leads a team of dieticians........

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My wife begged me to watch that,. But my health and habits beat the hell out of hers.........Still, I want to see it.
btw my first wife was a clinical dietician (educated at UF) now leads a team of dieticians........
If you have Netflix, you can stream it anytime you want.

I give very little credence to dietitians. After all the research I've done, most dietitians are way off. They promote fallacies about protein, carbs, and fats that are completely off base. Since your wife is begging you to watch it, I can only assume she's one of the few dietitians that gets it.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you have Netflix, you can stream it anytime you want.

I give very little credence to dietitians. After all the research I've done, most dietitians are way off. They promote fallacies about protein, carbs, and fats that are completely off base. Since your wife is begging you to watch it, I can only assume she's one of the few dietitians that gets it.
His first wife is the dietician. His current wife sucks at being healthy!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If diagnosed with terminal cancer myself, I'd probably refuse treatment. Cancer treatment is not something you wish on anyone, except for this guy.

I'm with you. I would take the holistic approach. I think the key is getting foods with as close to original nutritional value as possible. Our immune system is an amazing thing, we just suppress it with all of the crap we put in our bodies.

Think about this, some people consume most of their diet eating food with very little nutrition value, but somehow it adapts and they still live 40 - 50 years. The human body is an amazing thing and I find it impossible to believe that it derived from a puddle of goo struck by lightning.

I give very little credence to dietitians. After all the research I've done, most dietitians are way off. They promote fallacies about protein, carbs, and fats that are completely off base.

Another valid argument showing that the medicine industry is only out for their OWN good, not that of the patient.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic (fka The American Dietetic Association) makes the following recommendations

• Emphasize fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat or fat-free milk and milk products.
  • Include lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts.
  • Make sure your diet is low in saturated fats, trans fats, salt (sodium) and added sugars.
What's right and wrong with this:

• Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are great. Although you'll want to limit higher fat fruits like avocados and olives.
  • Dairy products of any kind are bad for you and have been linked to cancer growth.
  • Beans and nuts are good in moderation. Beans have a high protein content, which could be problematic if you eat a diet primarily of beans, you could overeat on protein and create liver and kidney issues. But you would really have to eat a lot of beans. Nuts are high in fat and should be limited.
  • Meat, poultry, fish, and eggs are extremely harmful. All have been linked to cancer. Lean meats still have high levels of fat. Fish as well as most meats contain contaminates. Also, dietary cholesterol is contained in all meats and animal products. Also meats have been shown to raise insulin levels higher than some refined carbs such as white pasta.
  • Low in saturated fats is good. Added sugars? If you can survive without added sugars, that's great, but using a raw sugar is not really bad for you.
All in all, they basically say to not eat junk food, which is good. However, their recommendations would put you at a relatively high risk for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, among other diseases, and this is what dietitians use as their guide.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica - how familiar are you with the parasite, liver, & bowel cleanses. I recently ran across them and found some interesting information about how they help our immune systems work to their potential. It makes sense to rid our bodies of the toxins that weaken them.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@alcoholica - how familiar are you with the parasite, liver, & bowel cleanses. I recently ran across them and found some interesting information about how they help our immune systems work to their potential. It makes sense to rid our bodies of the toxins that weaken them.
I'm not a huge fan of cleanses. The reason being is that you are going on a "diet" instead of a lifestyle. What I do is try to eat clean. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes. I have alcoholic drinks from time to time. I had a Firehouse sub recently. 99% of the time I am a high carb low fat vegan. I buy organic when feasible. I try to integrate greens as much as I can. I don't let the slip ups derail me from eating healthy.

So for the cleanse aspect. Just eat as clean as you possibly can. I had some tests run for parasites and infections, because it'd be easier to know what you may be dealing with. After that, concentrate on detoxifying foods. You need fiber to absorb toxins in your intestines. Citrus and other fruits are great at purging toxins from your liver. Greens are great for cleaning your cells and freeing up toxins for your liver to filter out. Spinach is awesome for you. Kale and collards are great for you. They are part of the brassica family which has shown the ability to affect your thyroid. Most clinicians believe you would need to eat 1-2 lbs daily raw to have an affect. Steaming or boiling the vegetables removes most of the glucosinolates, which is what causes the thryoid issue (by obstructing iodine uptake). This is why I typically use spinach, but don't be afraid of Kale, Collards or broccoli (just cook the first). Spinach has one of the higher chlorophyll concentrations, which makes it a great for detoxing.

If you are set on doing a cleanse, just do a raw fruit cleanse. Make sure you eat ripe fruit. Bananas are the easiest. Buy organic or non gassed bananas, so you can have a longer shelf life. If you start running short buy some conventional bananas and put them in a paper bag with a couple apples. Bananas are ripe when they have brown spots on them (just because they are yellow doesn't mean they are ripe). They are one of the gentlest foods on your digestive tract. Just throw a few in the blender with some water and cinnamon (if you like). Do this for as many days as you can. I've heard of some folks on it for 30 days and rid themselves of some nasty intestinal issues. Mangoes or dates would work as well. Try for 10 days if you can, but really just as long as you can and then start eating a whole food plant based diet.

The mistake I made was overeating. It's easing to overeat when you drink smoothies and juices. I've cut back on juices and slowly drink my smoothies. Other than that, just listen to your body and eat when you're hungry.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let the buyer beware. Health fraud is rampant in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator