Ackerman: UF needs to shorten RB rotation

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Thompson is a lumbering sack of garbage. No way. He should be the mop up back.

But I do agree with the premise. Scarlett has been looking stronger recently. He should become the workhorse, Perine should spell him, and Cronk should be the situational guy who is the Swiss Army knife type back.

Can you really not say that you feel Thompson is too slow without calling him a "sack of garbage"?

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I think Ackerman is crazy if he thinks the order of who should play ends with Perine, however we should feature a back and have another spell him. How can any of them get in a groove at this rate? Another coaching decision that has me wondering what the hell they are doing.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mostly I only hate swapping RBs back and forth if you're using different backs for different types of plays. That tips the Defense off to what kind of play you're about to run. Hate that crap. Use the RBs that can execute EVERY play, sit the others until they get it figured out. Don't hamstring your offense trying to prevent hurt feelings.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Perine may be the best choice at first but Scarlett did run really hard in the first half half of that Tenn game getting extra yards after contact. I do think those 2 are better choices to try to go with mostly than the other 2 right now.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
This was brought up before. I trust the coaches. Mac is 1-7 vs ranked teams. He knows what he's doing.
Nothing wrong with "trusting the coaches" as long as that trust is earned. Right now, this coaching staff really has me scratching my head. I want to be supportive but my resolve is slipping away. This issue about running backs creates just one more doubt about this staff's ability.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What difference does it really make?

200.gif

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/5...on-commits-florida-gators-recruiting-football
Maybe it's time to stop paying attention to the recruiting hype. Does anyone think Thompson is even close to being a 4.4 guy or anything else that was supposed to show up in Gainesville? I think he's just a dud who would be better off being converted to fullback, a position that might get him into the NFL. One thing I have thought very strange is that, due to his time at Alabama, McElwain has not even attempted to have a fullback. I know he desperately wants to have a downhill, power running game. It seems a fullback would be an ideal part of that goal.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nothing wrong with "trusting the coaches" as long as that trust is earned. Right now, this coaching staff really has me scratching my head. I want to be supportive but my resolve is slipping away. This issue about running backs creates just one more doubt about this staff's ability.

I can agree, to an extent. The jury is still out on McElwain. Anyone who thinks otherwise is more or less full retard.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/5...on-commits-florida-gators-recruiting-football
Maybe it's time to stop paying attention to the recruiting hype. Does anyone think Thompson is even close to being a 4.4 guy or anything else that was supposed to show up in Gainesville? I think he's just a dud who would be better off being converted to fullback, a position that might get him into the NFL. One thing I have thought very strange is that, due to his time at Alabama, McElwain has not even attempted to have a fullback. I know he desperately wants to have a downhill, power running game. It seems a fullback would be an ideal part of that goal.
That's why he brings Cox in sometimes.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With the lack of push the OL gets, I don't think it really matters who runs the ball.

Sure we put up good numbers against the cup-cakes but we all know that was smoke and mirrors!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ackerman, jeez. The poor running game isnt bc we use too many backs. It is because we let too many DL ad LB into the backfield.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Situation kind of brings to mind the old saying about QB's...if you've got two QB's, you've got no QB's. Not quite like that, but you've got to wonder how the best back would do with 20 carries (hopefully not murdered behind the OL).
I think its exactly the opposite. If you habe one RB you have none bc he IS going to get hurt.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's why he brings Cox in sometimes.
Good call Nav. I agree that the coaches are trying to do that by bringing in BC there.

And thank you for bringing this up as I needed my memory jogged. I haven't seen one meaningful block by Cox in one of those short-yardage / goal-line situations. I really want him to succeed and want to see him pancake some LB or DB, but I haven't seen him do anything except run through a closing hole and look around for who he should have blocked.

Can someone please tell me of a time when he was effective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.