Ackerman: UF needs to shorten RB rotation

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Good call Nav. I agree that the coaches are trying to do that by bringing in BC there.

And thank you for bringing this up as I needed my memory jogged. I haven't seen one meaningful block by Cox in one of those short-yardage / goal-line situations. I really want him to succeed and want to see him pancake some LB or DB, but I haven't seen him do anything except run through a closing hole and look around for who he should have blocked.

Can someone please tell me of a time when he was effective?
It worked a couple of times last year and hasn't worked since. It like a few other pays that we run have been scouted to DEATH....There is no need to steal signals from us as others have suggested because we don't give a ot of looks on offense and as someone else also pointed out we never run any mis direction to keep the defense honest.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good call Nav. I agree that the coaches are trying to do that by bringing in BC there.

And thank you for bringing this up as I needed my memory jogged. I haven't seen one meaningful block by Cox in one of those short-yardage / goal-line situations. I really want him to succeed and want to see him pancake some LB or DB, but I haven't seen him do anything except run through a closing hole and look around for who he should have blocked.

Can someone please tell me of a time when he was effective?

I think that he's had one or two blocks on the goal line that have sprung the backs for touchdowns.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
It worked a couple of times last year and hasn't worked since. It like a few other pays that we run have been scouted to DEATH....There is no need to steal signals from us as others have suggested because we don't give a ot of looks on offense and as someone else also pointed out we never run any mis direction to keep the defense honest.
Actually, Appleby's td pass to Goolsby was a play action out of that set. Cox went out on a pass route in the right flat and arguably was involved in a pick play.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Actually, Appleby's td pass to Gooslby was a play action out of that set. Cox went out on a pass route in the right flat and arguably was involved in a pick play.

Ok.....so it's worked 3 times in 25 attempts over the last season and a half :lol:
The big problem is that it takes a true skill position player off the field when he's in there which limits what the defense has to be aware of and account for.

Last edited:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok.....so it's worked 3 times in 25 attempts over the last season and a half :lol:
The big problem is that it takes a true skill position player off the field when he's in there which limits what the defense has to be aware of and account for.

I don't think it has worked three times. We may have had 3 successful plays while he was in, but I don't think he's been successful 3 times in those plays. I tried to find them in the North Tejas game and this is what I came up with.

1st Quarter, 4th & 2 at the 5 yd line. Cox dives / falls over an edge rusher who was going down anyway. The edge got sealed, but the line (without Cox) got enough movement to open a hole, which Thompson missed. We don't convert the 1st down.

2nd Quarter, 3rd & 1 at the 2
Cox runs in the hole, chips the LB, the LB makes the tackle ...after Pee-rhine pushes forward into the endzone. Cox may have slowed the LB enough to allow Perine to push in, but I give the credit to Perine, not Cox.

4th Quarter, 2nd & Goal at the 1.
Cox finally thumps a guy! Defender beats Taylor (blasphemy!) and is getting penetration. Cox plows him to clean him up. Scarlett cuts back and gets tackled forward into the endzone for the score. ...then Cox starts jawing with a defender from North Texas. :headslap:

I'm glad that Fever claimed two in the N. Tx game. I only found one, but at least I know that it has happened. This exercised proved my point (I don't think he's very effective in this role), but at least I know that it has worked.
:stars:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't think it has worked three times. We may have had 3 successful plays while he was in, but I don't think he's been successful 3 times in those plays. I tried to find them in the North Tejas game and this is what I came up with.

1st Quarter, 4th & 2 at the 5 yd line. Cox dives / falls over an edge rusher who was going down anyway. The edge got sealed, but the line (without Cox) got enough movement to open a hole, which Thompson missed. We don't convert the 1st down.

Cox runs in the hole, chips the LB, the LB makes the tackle ...after Pee-rhine pushes forward into the endzone. Cox may have slowed the LB enough to allow Perine to push in, but I give the credit to Perine, not Cox.

Cox finally thumps a guy! Defender beats Taylor (blasphemy!) and is getting penetration. Cox plows him to clean him up. Scarlett cuts back and gets tackled forward into the endzone for the score. ...then Cox starts jawing with a defender from North Texas. :headslap:

I'm glad that Fever claimed two in the N. Tx game. I only found one, but at least I know that it has happened. This exercised proved my point (I don't think he's very effective in this role), but at least I know that it has worked.

Nice work. Now you just need Mac and Nuss to see the same thing. Let me say though that I'm not against trying something like this maybe on 1st or 2nd down but by 3rd and 4th everyone in the house knows whats coming.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I see you posted a picture of yourself - thanks! :bart:

Let me guess...you don't believe Mac is 1-7 vs ranked teams and has lost four in a row against the Top 25. I know, I know...he needs at least another 4-5 years to get his players in here. Eighteen games in. I think we all can see what we have. Call it whatever you want. I could give a flying ****. Bagging on me isn't going to make Mac a better coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Jusy saying he was blocking for 2 short TD runs not that he ha

Just saying he was blocking on 2 short TDs not that he had some great play or anything.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Point out when I said any of those things. I'll wait...........
You're the one 'bagging' on the Gators ALL.THE.TIME. It's all you do. You offer nothing positive to this board. Bitch, moan, complain, rinse, repeat.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Point out when I said any of those things. I'll wait...........
You're the one 'bagging' on the Gators ALL.THE.TIME. It's all you do. You offer nothing positive to this board. *****, moan, complain, rinse, repeat.

Have you seen our football team for the last 6 years? I want to change my name from T REX to Oedipus Rex.

Do you disagree the program is a shell of its former life? Do you disagree that Mac hasn't shown us very much to think he's the answer?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, I don't disagree with your opinion. I disagree with your incessant complaining. I'm obviously a lot more positive than you, and I'm known as the pessimist in my family. :lol:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, I don't disagree with your opinion. I disagree with your incessant complaining. I'm obviously a lot more positive than you, and I'm known as the pessimist in my family. :lol:

Great! I'm sure after we pommel Vandy tomorrow there will be plenty to be positive about. You start us off.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thompson may have decent top-end speed (though I doubt it), but he takes forever to hit the hole. Cronkrite does the best job catching and blocking. Scarlet is the most polished right now, but I think Perine is the most talented, a guy who will have us wondering, "why the hell wasn't he our featured back all along" before it's all over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator