Addazio's offense turns the corner at BC - our next coach?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just posting this to let some people express their hatred for our last "great" OC:

Competition-hardened Boston College becomes a tougher out

https://theathletic.com/134842/2017/10/23/boston-college-eagles-football-coach-steve-addazio/

Boston College went nearly eight full years between scoring 40 points in an ACC game. Now, out of nowhere, the Eagles have done it two games in a row.

Boston College (4-4, 2-3 ACC) followed up last week’s 45-42 win at Louisville with a 41-10 win at Virginia, and as a result, it has jumped into the top 40 in The All-American 130.

Offense has been a problem for BC under coach Steve Addazio. Last season’s 36-30 Quick Lane Bowl win against Maryland gave fans hope for more tempo and more points in offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler’s second season, but results didn’t follow. The Eagles were scoring just 16.3 points per game before the Louisville win. Where did this come from?

“I feel that there were a lot of good things brewing,” Addazio said after Saturday’s win. “The team feels great because they watch the video. The video does not lie. All that does is just build their confidence, and you are able to bear some fruit from the foundation that you lay. You have got to get some validation from your hard work at some point in time.

“By the nature of our schedule, we did not have an opportunity to do that earlier this season. We did not have those easy lead-in games like some teams have early on where you can really develop that momentum and confidence, but we got another kick from that in a different way because we got toughened up in that process.”

Cody Kellner, an analytics contributor to The All-American, rates BC’s schedule as the second-toughest in the country behind Florida State. Seven of the eight teams BC has played have a winning record, along with 4-4 Central Michigan. That has included top defenses like Clemson and Virginia Tech, plus Notre Dame and Wake Forest.

Under Addazio, the Eagles have never won more than seven games. But they will qualify for their fourth bowl in five years if they win two of their final four games.

“We have been through the grinder, “ Addazio said. “We have played some of the best football teams in the country this season, and we have done it while losing some of our very finest players. We have stuck together and kept believing in each other, and that is what makes me so proud of these guys. We felt that the quality of people that we have played, at some point, would pay a dividend for us. … It did not always come together for us all at the right time, but you could see it, and I kept saying that. Well, you can see that now.”

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
great, the pumpers will use this to say Mac needs more time. :rolleyes3:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
giphy.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NO, he stinks too. Frost or Bob Stoops on the way to save us...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Hey look, another HC with a better offense than McNuss. This is my shocked face,

59518_original.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ummm......it was UVA.

Actually, while you were sleeping, UVA has improved quite a bit and Bronco Mendenhall is doing a hell of a job there. That's why the 40+ points the last two weeks (vs. Louisville and UVA) is a surprise. Louisville's D is no powerhouse by any means, but 40+ points in consecutive weeks for a team averaging 16.3 is certainly an outlier/surprise. (I'm in no way advocating for Adazzio, I just thought it would be fun to see comments about our former Interim HC (while Meyer was faking illness) and his offense)....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't saying much, but Addazio is a better head coach than Mac.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Actually, while you were sleeping, UVA has improved quite a bit and Bronco Mendenhall is doing a hell of a job there. That's why the 40+ points the last two weeks (vs. Louisville and UVA) is a surprise. Louisville's D is no powerhouse by any means, but 40+ points in consecutive weeks for a team averaging 16.3 is certainly an outlier/surprise. (I'm in no way advocating for Adazzio, I just thought it would be fun to see comments about our former Interim HC (while Meyer was faking illness) and his offense)....
I follow UVa quite abit and you are right, they have improfed immensely but I don't think using UVA is a good measuring stick for claiming that Addazios offense has come to like. . Uva beat Duke and UNC but you saw what Va tech did to UNC?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Rightly or wrongly I doubt a new AD at UF makes his first major hire a guy with a 41-42 head coaching record.

I didn't suggest he's anywhere on the map as far as being our next coach.

This is simply a discussion about the guy who used to be our OC.... Again, to be VERY clear, I am not IN ANY WAY!! advocating him as our next head coach.

But I'm glad a few people are worked up over it!! :D

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Rightly or wrongly I doubt a new AD at UF makes his first major hire a guy with a 41-42 head coaching record.

Insti, someone changed the thread title....I did not add the last part (that you quoted). Sorry, just noticed that....

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Insti, someone changed the thread title....I did not add the last part (that you quoted). Sorry, just noticed that....

I wondered about that. I did look at your post and why you posted it. I have also noticed that thread title evolve around here as thread topics do. So my comment with the quote from what the headline writer wrote was not a jab at whoever wrote it, but a response.

I guess you do see how a reporter feels when someone takes him to task over the headline on his story that he did not write.

Last edited:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
NO, he stinks too. Frost or Bob Stoops on the way to save us...

I was browsing Volnation this past weekend to revel in their misery. A poster there talked to a member of UGA's staff that said Bob Stoops attended one of UGA's practice and Stoops told everyone his coaching career was over.

FWIW.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.