Recruiting Alabama QB commit Mac Jones from The Bolles School (in Jax)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This kid recently changed his commitment from Kentucky to Alabama, giving them 2 QBs in this upcoming class. He's the 14th ranked pro-style QB in this class and grew up a UF fan. He says in the article that had UF recruited him early he would have picked Florida. Are we only taking 1 QB in this class? I'm happy w/ Allen, but found it interesting the UF connection. Bolles always has a few D1 prospects and are very well coached....mostly rich kids.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/how-has-life-changed-for-mac-jones-since-committing-to-Alabama

How has life changed for Mac Jones since committing to Alabama?

(from the article):

Before Jones, the nation’s No. 14 pro-style QB, committed to Alabama, the thought from several recruiting experts was he was going to flip his commitment to Texas A&M and not Alabama. He says there were only two schools he would have chosen: Alabama or Kentucky.

That doesn’t include Florida, which would have immediately received a commitment from Jones if it had offered early in the process. Jones grew up a Gators fan but the team didn’t recruit him after getting a commitment from 4-star QB Jake Allen.

He doesn’t live in a “what if” world though. He’s 100 percent committed to Alabama and is not taking any more visits to schools not located in Tuscaloosa.

“I just felt like Alabama was the opportunity I needed to take, and obviously it was a difficult choice, “Jones said. “I feel like I definitely made the right move.”

Ever since he committed, Jones has taken it upon himself to recruit other elite prospects for Alabama. He’s become one of the team’s top recruiters alongside fellow commits VanDarius Cowan and Alex Leatherwood.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
A real gator fan would not go to bama. Good luck to him. Bolles players are all mercenaries anyway. Most of them come from some other district.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On rivals Jones is the No. 8 pro-style QB, while Allen is No. 9. Coach Mac must have a lot of confidence in Allen and the current QB's on the roster if he's not going to offer a guaranteed commitment from a top 10 QB. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us, like when Muschamp took Mornhinweg over Paxton Lynch. Except this could be worse because Jones could potentially face us in a championship game.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think Coach Mac should have taken Jones over Allen. I assume he only wants/needs one QB in this class for scholarship room for other players, but the possibility is there that it may have been beneficial to take a second QB in this class just because of where this kid ended up. We'll see. Hopefully it works out for us.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think GatorJB has it right. Mac is all in with Jake. They really like him and Jake has been a fantastic Gator already. Jake has been trying to recruit guys to this class and is really the highlight player in the class right now. If they plan on having 1 QB there would be no reason to switch to Jones with how loyal Jake has been and the talent that Jake has shown.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us, like when Muschamp took Mornhinweg over Paxton Lynch.
Do you think Lynch would have been better running the option than Morningwood? Or that he wouldn't have transferred when we hired an OC that requires a running QB, like Morninghwood and Staver?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Get us ONE high rated QB in each class, preferably not from a private school, and STFU.....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you think Lynch would have been better running the option than Morningwood? Or that he wouldn't have transferred when we hired an OC that requires a running QB, like Morninghwood and Staver?

If memory serves me correctly, Muschamp intended to run a pro-style attack all along, but he used the option more starting in 2013 and switched completely to the spread in 2014 because all we had were spread QB's.

It's doubtful that we would have been much better considering who the head coach was, but what we do know in hindsight is that Muschamp passed on a future 1st rounder for a guy that has been completely irrelevant throughout his career. That poor decision is one of many poor decisions that led to our offensive ineptitude over the last couple of years.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I say you can never have enough talent at QB. We should have pursued him unless Mac made some promises to Allen or Franks or both. The more talent you have the better the chance one turns out to be a stud.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Get us ONE high rated QB in each class, preferably not from a private school, and STFU.....

Or one highly rated QB and a 2-star? What is the "STFU" for? We should just settle for one QB? Even if there's another one interested? You should tell Saban that he should "STFU" after he got the kid from Hawaii and let the kid from Bolles go wherever he wants. Why not from a private school? What does that matter? You do realize that our QB commit goes to a private school too?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or one highly rated QB and a 2-star? What is the "STFU" for? We should just settle for one QB? Even if there's another one interested? You should tell Saban that he should "STFU" after he got the kid from Hawaii and let the kid from Bolles go wherever he wants. Why not from a private school? What does that matter? You do realize that our QB commit goes to a private school too?

piss off

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Then there is that possibility that Jones could beat Allen out for 1st string.??
I like the plane of being loyal to a super-loyal Gator-minded leader such as Jake.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Always seems to backfire when we take two highly ranked QB's in one cycle. Just get a good one in each class and let the cream rise.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Mac's a Bama plant at UF.:lol3:

Do you think Bear Bryant turned away top talent because he already had somebody? Heck no. He stockpiled as many as he could just to keep them off other teams.

What if Allen gets hurt? What if somebody's bagman shows up and he flips? You never know what's going to happen with these kids in recruiting. I definitely would never turn away a lifelong Gator that's rated so high?

Another questionable recruiting move by this staff. :facepalm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.