AR named Colts starting QB; out for season

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
NFL scouts, GM's, coaches and owners can't help themselves. We all knew this guy would light up the Combine like a pinball machine, but that it's completely meaningless. Those guys fall in love with the body instead of the mind. They think their coaches will be able to "fix" the mental shortcomings. They are almost always wrong. Rinse, repeat.
Which is why I'll always be pissed they destroyed Tebow's career. The man had all the intangibles. Too many cooks in the kitchen trying to "fix him"

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember telling you that you were crazy to think this dude was going to be a first round draft pick. Boy was I wrong. I'd say my biggest mistakes in life usually revolve around completely underestimating someone else's bottomless capacity for stupidity. How anyone could watch this kid actually play the game of football and still draft him that high based on really nothing more than feats of strength is beyond me. I guess they figured the magic football fairy was going to appear with her magic wand and magic dust and turn a fragile and inaccurate dude into the next Mahomes.

I am amazed at the duration of the stupidity in the NFL.
You draft quarterbacks based upon their athletic ability versus their ability to actually play the position.
Once they start playing they run the ball and the league tears them up and renders them inoperable.

Then the same team goes into the next draft looking for another athlete playing quarterback.

Rinse and repeat.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Putting his failure at actually playing the position aside, how can he be the "future" of the Colts when he's on the sideline in a cast or a sling? I just cannot see this guy getting through NFL seasons unhurt.

What they'll have to do is try and limit his running the ball to keep him healthy, and attempting to make him a pocket passer going through progressions is going to be an impossible task.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Putting his failure at actually playing the position aside, how can he be the "future" of the Colts when he's on the sideline in a cast or a sling? I just cannot see this guy getting through NFL seasons unhurt.

What they'll have to do is try and limit his running the ball to keep him healthy, and attempting to make him a pocket passer going through progressions is going to be an impossible task.

The Bears face a same dilemma with Fields. He's awful in the pocket. He's indecisive and holds onto the ball too long, leading to sacks and bad decisions. He's only worth half a shyt if you have him run the ball or roll out, and too many bad things happen when you consistently do those things.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
The Bears face a same dilemma with Fields. He's awful in the pocket. He's indecisive and holds onto the ball too long, leading to sacks and bad decisions. He's only worth half a shyt if you have him run the ball or roll out, and too many bad things happen when you consistently do those things.
The Bears might have the first two picks in the draft in April. They would have to take Williams if available and trade Fields. Williams would be a a considerable upgrade immediately and they will most likely have a new coach. Fields could develop like Hurts with the right staff. The Bears need to look at the 49ers for inspiration, just admit you effed up and move on.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bears might have the first two picks in the draft in April. They would have to take Williams if available and trade Fields. Williams would be a a considerable upgrade immediately and they will most likely have a new coach. Fields could develop like Hurts with the right staff. The Bears need to look at the 49ers for inspiration, just admit you effed up and move on.

Williams' dad is managing his affairs, and he's a nutbag. His latest demand is partial ownership from the team that drafts him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Williams' dad is managing his affairs, and he's a nutbag. His latest demand is partial ownership from the team that drafts him.

I heard that yesterday as well. I’ve seen him play, including the championship game last year where he was hurt. I’ll give him credit for showing a lot of heart, and he is talented, but I’m not sure I get the obsession with him. There’s nothing that screams can’t miss NFL prospect. So this notion of being different than any previous draft pick is ridiculous.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I heard that yesterday as well. I’ve seen him play, including the championship game last year where he was hurt. I’ll give him credit for showing a lot of heart, and he is talented, but I’m not sure I get the obsession with him. There’s nothing that screams can’t miss NFL prospect. So this notion of being different than any previous draft pick is ridiculous.
ANY previous draft? Indy says...
Say What Oh Hell No GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Notre Dame's pass rush brought him back to earth. I'm not nearly as high on him as the gushing media that covers USC. The meddlesome father has made things all the worse by naming five teams he would accept on draft night with the promise that'll he stay in school and cash in on NIL if it's not one of them.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Notre Dame's pass rush brought him back to earth. I'm not nearly as high on him as the gushing media that covers USC. The meddlesome father has made things all the worse by naming five teams he would accept on draft night with the promise that'll he stay in school and cash in on NIL if it's not one of them.
That sounds like Cultural Appropriation!

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Trevor Lawrence, Jag's QB, doesn't run often. But he can. And some idiot with the clock running down and the game in the bag, more than two scores worth, called a rollout. Guess what. He screwed up his knee. He's not hurt badly but may not play tonight.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I just have to disagree. Like AR, he just doesn't have it between the ears like Hurts.

The pattern that no one seems to be noticing with Fields is his constant deflection of blame and unwillingness to take ownership. At uga it was “racism” for making a terrible college choice given his skill set, then his inability to beat out a very pedestrian QB in Frohm. Then he consistently came up short when it mattered at Ohio State and won nothing at all of consequence. Now in Chicago it’s “coaching” that’s the problem. Yet even after the week he made that comment and insisted he was just going to go back to playing his style football, he completed like 8 passes for 30 yards. He’s just not as great as everyone has always assumed he’d be, which happens. But neither he nor analysts seem to be able to admit that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just have to disagree. Like AR, he just doesn't have it between the ears like Hurts.

I'm really not sure why. He's bright and articulate and understands NFL defenses. But put him in the pocket with loads of time and he goes into a brain freeze. He's only comfortable playing sandlot football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The pattern that no one seems to be noticing with Fields is his constant deflection of blame and unwillingness to take ownership. At uga it was “racism” for making a terrible college choice given his skill set, then his inability to beat out a very pedestrian QB in Frohm. Then he consistently came up short when it mattered at Ohio State and won nothing at all of consequence. Now in Chicago it’s “coaching” that’s the problem. Yet even after the week he made that comment and insisted he was just going to go back to playing his style football, he completed like 8 passes for 30 yards. He’s just not as great as everyone has always assumed he’d be, which happens. But neither he nor analysts seem to be able to admit that.

That comment was taken out of context. He wasn't trying to blame the coaches. He was attempting to explain the challenge in trying to remain instinctual while processing the changes recommended by the coaching staff. He immediately recognized the mistake he had made in how he worded it and attempted to explain, but it was too late. The media ran with the juicy story.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That comment was taken out of context. He wasn't trying to blame the coaches. He was attempting to explain the challenge in trying to remain instinctual while processing the changes recommended by the coaching staff. He immediately recognized the mistake he had made in how he worded it and attempted to explain, but it was too late. The media ran with the juicy story.

Please allow me to apologize to you, Justin, Sally, and any other members of the Fields family I may have offended. I had forgotten you already admitted that in a previous thread. Maybe NV remembers which one.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please allow me to apologize to you, Justin, Sally, and any other members of the Fields family I may have offended. I had forgotten you already admitted that in a previous thread. Maybe NV remembers which one.

All kidding aside, it was the media that did the distorting. They knew better than to run with the story the way they did. It was sensationalism. The kid got taken advantage of, even after trying to explain what he actually meant. You could see that from the outset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator