Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ha. Winning the NL East these days is more like winning the ACC in 2008. Although this year is more impressive because you don't play 19 games against division foes. So no 19 games vs marlins, Nats, mets

The Rays would be 3rd at best in NL East

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Then there's the one from 1957, Miwaukee.....

Honestly they should have at least two more. The Twins cheated, 96 they melted down after having a 2-0 lead and lost to the retirement home Yankees prior to the youth coming in and if they hadn’t blown the base running against the Dodgers 3 years ago they would have whipped the Rays just like LA did.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
The Rays would be 3rd at best in NL East
How ya figure that? How strong the NL is? Hahahhaha. 90 wins in the AL and will likely end with around 98 if they play their best ball and you say 3rd best...when the rays own division is all over 500? The only thing that's held the rays back this year is an absurd amount of injuries and yet they still have 90. They won't win the world series because they are missing too many players but it's pretty impressive they are contending for the east

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I wasn't aware divisions were relavant to World Series titles.... There was also one in 1914 for the Boston Braves....
The OP from Nalt stated, “The Braves also have won more "division" titles than any other team in MLB.” I responded, incorrectly as it turned out, they only have one ring for all those titles (it’s actually two). So the 1957 WS win (or 1914) doesn’t apply. Make sense?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Honestly they should have at least two more. The Twins cheated, 96 they melted down after having a 2-0 lead and lost to the retirement home Yankees prior to the youth coming in and if they hadn’t blown the base running against the Dodgers 3 years ago they would have whipped the Rays just like LA did.

1992 TOR was the better team, 1993 we ran out of gas from that insane division fight with SF, 1996 hurts….no excuse not to win that especially Game 4….97 and 98 we got Kevin Brown’ed with some help from Eric Gregg and if I recall in 97 we played terrible defense…99 Yankees were untouchable…2020 NLCS still stings but we got revenge on them the next year….91 was one of the best WS ever even though the outcome sucked…what do you mean they cheated? The Hrbek Gant play?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
1992 TOR was the better team, 1993 we ran out of gas from that insane division fight with SF, 1996 hurts….no excuse not to win that especially Game 4….97 and 98 we got Kevin Brown’ed with some help from Eric Gregg and if I recall in 97 we played terrible defense…99 Yankees were untouchable…2020 NLCS still stings but we got revenge on them the next year….91 was one of the best WS ever even though the outcome sucked…what do you mean they cheated? The Hrbek Gant play?
I also have always felt, with zero evidence to back it up, they would have won in ‘94 were it not for the strike.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

The Gant thing was just one. They did other bush league stuff as well throughout the series like infielders getting in the base runners way pretending to be going for a catch when the ball was going to the outfield. Kept us from advancing more than a base. They also cranked up the AC blowing out when the Twins batted and blowing in when Atlanta was up. They did an arctic on ESPN on one of the anniversaries about all the little things they were doing that they didn’t get caught for. Basically they all laughed and said it’s only cheating if you get caught.

91 was a classic. Game 7 was insane.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
The Gant thing was just one. They did other bush league stuff as well throughout the series like infielders getting in the base runners way pretending to be going for a catch when the ball was going to the outfield. Kept us from advancing more than a base. They also cranked up the AC blowing out when the Twins batted and blowing in when Atlanta was up. They did an arctic on ESPN on one of the anniversaries about all the little things they were doing that they didn’t get caught for. Basically they all laughed and said it’s only cheating if you get caught.

91 was a classic. Game 7 was insane.

Wow I had no idea about any of that....I was only 6 so my only recollection of that series is the VHS highlight tape I still have....you would think the players or Bobby would have noticed and said something....having said that, if Lonnie Smith watches his 3rd base coach off that Pendleton gapper in the 8th inning, we win

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Eflin had a no hitter in the 6th inning. Rays now in a tie for first. 28 strikeouts by rays pitching in two games, and glasnow going tomorrow. 43,000 silent fans in baltimore tonight, dominant win. This division is turning. I didn't realize the Os have the astros next while we get the angels.

Just imagine if this team had Springs, rassmussen, and McClanahan.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Eflin had a no hitter in the 6th inning. Rays now in a tie for first. 28 strikeouts by rays pitching in two games, and glasnow going tomorrow. 43,000 silent fans in baltimore tonight, dominant win. This division is turning. I didn't realize the Os have the astros next while we get the angels.

Just imagine if this team had Springs, rassmussen, and McClanahan.
Oh Yeah Reaction GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.