Are the Atlanta Braves the best team in baseball?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
You don't have to follow the NFL....I just gave you the records....all I am asking is for you to show me how a team with a worse record is better than a team with the better record...this could apply to any sport since the Roman gladiator days

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't have to follow the NFL....I just gave you the records....all I am asking is for you to show me how a team with a worse record is better than a team with the better record...this could apply to any sport since the Roman gladiator days
Philadelphia has a better record than Atlanta in September and October, so by your singular standard, (records) Philadephia is today a better team:

Phila: 22-14
Atlanta: 17-16

Atlanta had an ERA over 5.50 during that period.

Do you really want to know "How" a team that started out as well as Atlanta ended up being a worse team than the Phillies, who started out so poorly?

Atlanta:
Sean Murphy developed a hole in his swing and opposing pitchers gladly took advantage of it.
The Braves traded for two rag arms off the trash heap at the deadline and didn't bolster their sketchy pitching staff.
Their front office and field management suck.
Acuna started focusing more on individual achievement than being a teammate.
Morton went on the IL
Fried went on the IL
The Braves developed a loser mentality.

As to the Phillies?
Bryce Harper came off the IL after three months out of action.
Suarez and Alvarado came off the IL
Trea Turner got out of his head, then went out of his mind.
Nola's curveball started working again.

etc, etc, etc......

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Philadelphia has a better record than Atlanta in September and October, so by your singular standard, (records) Philadephia is today a better team:

Phila: 22-14
Atlanta: 17-16

Atlanta had an ERA over 5.50 during that period.

Do you really want to know "How" a team that started out as well as Atlanta ended up being a worse team than the Phillies, who started out so poorly?
Atlanta:
Sean Murphy developed a hole in his swing and opposing pitchers gladly took advantage of it.
The Braves traded for two rag arms off the trash heap at the deadline and didn't bolster their sketchy pitching staff.
Their front office and field management suck.
Acuna started focusing more on individual achievement than being a teammate.
Morton went on the IL
Fried went on the IL
The Braves developed a loser mentality.

As to the Phillies?
Bryce Harper came off the IL after three months out of action.
Suarez and Alvarado came off the IL
Trea Turner got out of his head, then went out of his mind.
Nola's curveball started working again.

etc, etc, etc......

I am actually with you on the Phillies section as well as the first couple bullet points of the Braves issues....where you made me laugh out loud though is the front office part.. our GM is one of the best, if not the best in the game...6 straight division titles and a WS....that run only rivals Houston and LA for best in baseball...the moves he made at the ASG in 2021 turned out to be A+....other than that and developing a loser mentality, I agree with everything else.

But here is the irony....your Phillies section proves my point...all those examples you mentioned have to do with luck and timing...the Phillies had that luxury and the Braves didn't.....and your September/October records would hold merit if baseball was actually only played those 2 months

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am actually with you on the Phillies section as well as the first couple bullet points of the Braves issues....where you made me laugh out loud though is the front office part.. our GM is one of the best, if not the best in the game...6 straight division titles and a WS....that run only rivals Houston and LA for best in baseball...the moves he made at the ASG in 2021 turned out to be A+....other than that and developing a loser mentality, I agree with everything else.

But here is the irony....your Phillies section proves my point...all those examples you mentioned have to do with luck and timing...the Phillies had that luxury and the Braves didn't.....and your September/October records would hold merit if baseball was actually only played those 2 months
So you're saying the Phillies are a better team. You shoulda just said that in the first place. You could have saved yourself a lot of embarrassment.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Why limit “who’s the best” to only one season? Why not look at all-time records if it’s a lifetime achievement award you’re looking for? :lol:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Why limit “who’s the best” to only one season? Why not look at all-time records if it’s a lifetime achievement award you’re looking for? :lol:

Isn't that what the HOF is about? :)...you would think judging by this board Rob Thomson, Harper, Turner, would be 1st ballot HOFers

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Arizona needs to win the next 2 to have a chance…they can’t afford to go back to Philly needing to win both….as far as the AL, Texas needs to win G5…I don’t see them winning 2 in Houston a second time in the series

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Arizona needs to win the next 2 to have a chance…they can’t afford to go back to Philly needing to win both….as far as the AL, Texas needs to win G5…I don’t see them winning 2 in Houston a second time in the series
very tall order. i hoped for and expected a good series. i think dbacks have 1 more win in them, maybe even 2, but i think the phillies will prevail. they have a lot more paths to victory at this point. just playing better all around.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
very tall order. i hoped for and expected a good series. i think dbacks have 1 more win in them, maybe even 2, but i think the phillies will prevail. they have a lot more paths to victory at this point. just playing better all around.
That's how I feel about my Rangers. Maybe one more win, but not two. Pitching just isn't good enough overall.

But, hey, we went further than the Braves. Rangers are clearly a better team! :stirpot:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
That's how I feel about my Rangers. Maybe one more win, but not two. Pitching just isn't good enough overall.

But, hey, we went further than the Braves. Rangers are clearly a better team! :stirpot:
Impossible! At best, the Rangers could only have a maximum of 96 wins on the entire season. Same goes for Houston and the pHillies. Dbacks can have a max of 91 wins. The Braves have 104 wins and no team can touch that so clearly, THEY are the best team in baseball... :whistle:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Impossible! At best, the Rangers could only have a maximum of 96 wins on the entire season. Same goes for Houston and the pHillies. Dbacks can have a max of 91 wins. The Braves have 104 wins and no team can touch that so clearly, THEY are the best team in baseball... :whistle:
…watching from home.

You left that part out.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Filthy has a player on their team named Marsh. Dude exemplifies that dump of a city perfectly . It looks like he hasn’t showered in five years or had a haircut since he hit puberty . He’s steve buscemi in big daddy basically . Someone needs to get the bum a razor and a bar of soap .

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Filthy has a player on their team named Marsh. Dude exemplifies that dump of a city perfectly . It looks like he hasn’t showered in five years or had a haircut since he hit puberty . He’s steve buscemi in big daddy basically . Someone needs to get the bum a razor and a bar of soap .
1 week later. Still crying. :dance:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1 week later. Still crying. :dance:
No beards , no long hair , shave and give a **** about your appearance . That was the Steinbrenner way. I suppose the downfall began with a subtle request asking an Orioles fan to remove a Baltimore hat at Yankee stadium . Then there was the body suit man fiasco and his 100 percent cotton uniforms that sunk us . Ultimately ruining the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator