ARTICLE: McElwain's Last Days

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, Thomas Goldkamp has been fairly vocal his entire tenure. He always called him out for betraying the local media, closing them out, his lack of recruiting, etc. it obviously wasn't barn burner the way it is now, but he was one.

The rest like Marty Cohen and Dooley, yeah. They are cowards. Guys who've been around so long shouldn't be afraid of a single coach

You're 100% correct about Goldkamp. He's one of the few beat writers with a spine. He's usually called it like he saw it with Butters, probably because of that private, off the record sit down back in 2015 when Mac told Thomas "I know you guys are gonna mother#*@$ me"

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Ugh. The question is WHY was Foley still involved?

I know you greatly dislike him, but he was involved because it was his job to do so. His boss gave him a position and I bet wanted one of the greatest ADs of all time to have input and be involved. I might not like it, you surely don't, but we are not in charge.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I have some comments, probably not that appropriate ones.

When he had no details about these threats he should have a few choices

Go out and admit he was overly emotional and incorrect about those threats.
Give up the details.
Be fired for cause immediately.

I also strongly believe in a team concept for running the AD, if you as HBC don't want to be part of the team, you are going to be fired.

And it is I think BS to blame SOS for not asking for stuff, if you need or want something make the case on how it is valuable. Somehow we are getting most of facilities to be competitive and I bet more to come as well.

He never should get an extension, except for another year on a say 2 or three year contract, same with assistants, and no just friends either.

His future prospects are going down as more of this is out in the real world.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hanging on tight to that Best AD bs. Keep clutching. No one anywhere but a few of the UF alums EVER thought that, witness his numerous attempts to get a promotion to run a conference and even the little boys spurning him. Very few even of the UAA pumpers still consider him anything other than a disaster for the only sport that matter$.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I know you greatly dislike him, but he was involved because it was his job to do so. His boss gave him a position and I bet wanted one of the greatest ADs of all time to have input and be involved. I might not like it, you surely don't, but we are not in charge.
Chief, try and keep up. This was him being involved AFTER he retired.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I wonder if McElwain watched the Missouri game? I also wonder, if he did watch, was he rooting for UF to win or lose?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Chief, try and keep up. This was him being involved AFTER he retired.

I keep up, he retired as AD, got a new job, has an office, so he is "involved" because someone gave him a job after he retired.

Vulcan "retired" wanted to consult for very cheap, boss did not see the value and did not give him a contract. So he has no involvement.

See how that works, when you are totally retired you don't have an office, and don't have input.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
the fact we were so quick to fire mac makes me think foley doesn't really have a say in the big picture conversations

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Ouch

With the Gators trailing 21-0 at the half in their eventual loss to Georgia, Spurrier walked through the press box and asked a handful of reporters, "What happened to the forward pass?"
To be fair, its not like there weren't 100,000 other people asking the same question.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
So the football only facility has been delayed a couple of years?

This isn’t actually gonna be a bad thing. Gonna love baseball stadium put by softball. Will give more room for football instead of trying to squeeze it in.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This isn’t actually gonna be a bad thing. Gonna love baseball stadium put by softball. Will give more room for football instead of trying to squeeze it in.
Once more, in English? Are you saying that they are moving the baseball stadium to the softball stadium, wherever that is, but I assume out of the way? That would be awesome if we had all the land under the baseball stadium. We could build a state of the art facility with putting greens, slides and a ferris wheel just like the big boys.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I keep up, he retired as AD, got a new job, has an office, so he is "involved" because someone gave him a job after he retired.

Vulcan "retired" wanted to consult for very cheap, boss did not see the value and did not give him a contract. So he has no involvement.

See how that works, when you are totally retired you don't have an office, and don't have input.

I bet he gave himself that office. From '09 on Foley was a disaster.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
There were and maybe still are alot of people in the UAA that didn't like all the attention that football rec'd when SOS was there. My wife worked for the alumni foundation and when UAA needed money, they got it and damn fast. She once told me there was no limit to the money they could raise. I also remember the year after we won the NC in 96 that the womens soccer team went on a European tour playing and got their ass handed to them in every match. Mo Collins ( God rest his soul) made a comment in the training room "we win a NC and them bitches get a European vacation". the UAA was so tight that the made the training staff and equip managers move all of the stuff out of the TR and equip room over to the visitors locker room so they could remodel the SEZ back at the end of 97. Had a prof over at HHP try to down play the amount of money that the FB program made in class one day by talking about how much it cost to run it....................she got pissed when I asked how much womens VB was pulling in?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
As far as I can see, there is nothing in the article that people here did not already know.
I thought it was funny how Edward said he had anonymous quotes from both parties and yet he had maybe two quotes in the entire thing. Either way some of the spurrier stuff is cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.