As soon as Cleveland was ruled out, we had no chance...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hammond and Swain may not be 1st Rd draft prospects, but they're not sorry. I don't see them dropping passes that they should catch or running the wrong routes. They're decent college receivers.
I don't understand. We were told that Hammond and Swain were world beaters and that Butters had rebuilt the offense.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why would you gamelan for Cleveland? Mac is his coach.

Look, Cleveland has been our best receiver, but it's not like he was setting the world on fire either. When is the last time we had a 1000 yard receiver? My point is just that it's hard for me to empathize with anyone saying the players are underperforming when they aren't being coached properly.

Hammond and Swain may not be 1st Rd draft prospects, but they're not sorry. I don't see them dropping passes that they should catch or running the wrong routes. They're decent college receivers.

You gameplan for any kid that can take the top off a defense. Cleveland fits that category. Maybe you were joking, but Cleveland has shown to be our most dangerous pure receiver, outside of Callaway. He's been the recipient of most (if not all) of the longer passes (20 yds or more) downfield this season. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any other receiver create separation downfield consistently. We have a bunch of possesion receivers right now and consequently we're running plays with a lot of short to intermediate routes. I just wish we were less predictable.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tired-man-981341.jpg

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I don't understand. We were told that Hammond and Swain were world beaters and that Butters had rebuilt the offense.
Just a thought, but...

What if Mac wasn't selling us a bill of goods? What if this team is immensely talented? What if the O-line is the best we've had in years?

Maybe Mac just doesn't know what the hell he's doing with all these toys. The more I watch this team play the more I believe this theory to be true. When I'm watching I just get the sense that this team is a lot more talented on the offensive side than they're given credit for.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Just a thought, but...

What if Mac wasn't selling us a bill of goods? What if this team is immensely talented? What if the O-line is the best we've had in years?

Maybe Mac just doesn't know what the hell he's doing with all these toys. The more I watch this team play the more I believe this theory to be true. When I'm watching I just get the sense that this team is a lot more talented on the offensive side than they're given credit for.

I don't think they're that talented, I think we've forgot what really talented players look like because we haven't had that many for a long time, lol

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
You gameplan for any kid that can take the top off a defense. Cleveland fits that category. Maybe you were joking, but Cleveland has shown to be our most dangerous pure receiver, outside of Callaway. He's been the recipient of most (if not all) of the longer passes (20 yds or more) downfield this season. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any other receiver create separation downfield consistently. We have a bunch of possesion receivers right now and consequently we're running plays with a lot of short to intermediate routes. I just wish we were less predictable.
Yes I was joking.

Man, you're overrating Cleveland.
How would anyone know who's a real deep threat? We don't even attempt deep throws because Mac is to chicken sh!t to try to throw deep.

So, are you saying that possession receivers have less value than deep threats? What makes the other guys so substandard in your eyes?

Durty's Toe

drunk AF
Sep 2, 2017
Just a thought, but...

I get a sense that this team is talented and well coached. I’ve been watching college ball for a long time, and I am seeing a team that is standing up in the face of adversity, and guys that are playing their hearts out. This team love us, the fans, and it shows. I love them back, too.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I don't think they're that talented, I think we've forgot what really talented players look like because we haven't had that many for a long time, lol
I think Will Grier proves this isn't true.
You guys are really bailing out the coaching staff. We get talented players that get ruined by our coaches.

The prevailing sentiment around here seems to be that we need better players. I don't agree with that assessment. I think a good coach could have a pretty good season with this roster.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
As soon as Cleveland was ruled out, we had no chance...
We had a chance. We lost by one and an unlikely missed PAT made it much harder but we needed that one play we made all the other games to win,. Didn't today. CLeveland was definitely missed.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If anything, I feel sorry for the kids. They chose to come represent the school that we love, but the leadership has really let these kids down.

Sorry for venting, but I don't agree when adult fans criticize kids that play for free. How about starting a thread aimed at the adults that are collecting exorbitant salaries, yet they continue to suck.
Hey, I don't think you are up to speed.

@ancientreptile clearly stated that we are not allowed to speak ill of coach Mac. I believe that he is allowing a critique of rushing only. You may have to check with him for an authorization to complain.

Also, some also reiterated that critiquing the coach's teeth, obesity, or slovenly demeanor are also frowned upon.

Lastly, do not under any circumstance, make puns or nicknames of the coach or his name.

The thought police usually don't come out until the day after the game so you should be ok today.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Call BS on this thread. How many OC's scheme with slow white dudes running routes?

Our OC and HC suck. They rode the Saban train to other jobs and we are paying the price. Foley can't pick a football coach and Mac can't pick an OC. Giant cluster ****.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I think Will Grier proves this isn't true.
You guys are really bailing out the coaching staff. We get talented players that get ruined by our coaches.

The prevailing sentiment around here seems to be that we need better players. I don't agree with that assessment. I think a good coach could have a pretty good season with this roster.

The coach recruits the talent, so how is it excusing coaching, it's an indictment of the coach, he's not bringing in the talent. So it's really all on the coaching.
So I hope "pretty good" isn't the new standard at UF, but at this point......

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has proven to be serviceable at this point of his development, but he currently doesn’t have a true deep threat. I never expected to see much out of the passing game because of this. This team is not deep at the receiver position like we’ve heard.

Before the suspensions, Callaway and Cleveland were the only receivers capable of stretching the field vertically.

Hammond and Swain or average or slightly below average SEC receivers at best.

Toney has the speed, but we use him more like a RB by running the same two wildcat plays over and over.

Everybody else is a smallish, slot receiver that is bullied by any DB that is taller than 5’10.

Unless we manage to keep the recruiting class we have in tact somehow, expect more of the same in the immediate future.
Serviceable my ass. Franks sucks and he's been lazy his entire time here. He can at least take the blame for that. Who do you think Clayton was tweeting about over the summer going out every night.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Your thread title reminded me of one of my all-time favorite lead-ins to a sports article.

Years ago, a Bear Bryant Alabama team beat Vanderbilt something like 52-0. The opening line of the Sunday newspaper story was "Inflation killed the Vanderbilt Commodores yesterday......as soon as the ball was inflated, the game was over."

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Goof on the thread title if you want. The point I was trying to make was that I knew this game was gonna be an L before the game started given the fact that we wouldn’t be able to generate explosive plays downfield in the passing game without Tyrie Cleveland. Vegas knew this which is why they were 1.5 point favorites. You can point to us being down by a point, but LSU was in position for a chip shot field goal to win the game after we turned the ball over on downs. Had we punted, they would’ve moved the ball up the field because we are incapable of making coaching adjustments to stop a jet sweep apparently. We’re not scaring any SEC teams in the passing game with 5 yard outs and slants to our possession receivers. We have a bend but not break defense that gives up a lot of yards, an offense that is still trying to find its identity, and a coaching staff that only trusts the receivers to run basic route combinations. It is what it is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Title should say as soon as Butters N Nuss were hired, we had no chance.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Goof on the thread title if you want.

No disrespect intended. It just brought back an old memory.
Your intended point is valid. I wish Robinson didn't have heart issues and Daquon Green hadn't gone from training camp sensation to invisible and Massey could actually catch a pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.