Athlete Stipend

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OK, then it's 5700 or whatever. They are both paying the max.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Law98gator;n228631 said:
The did put a cap. Its the 5500 that others are paying. We of course are looking for the cheaper players and hoping to find some bargains on the seconds shelf.
Being cheap is just what we do with everything in our Football program these days and us doing so is why we're in the shape we're in.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n228614 said:
There will always be kids willing play for just a scholarship and there will always be fans in the seats and watching on tv.
Yes, we grabbed several of FAU's recruits last year.

So long as you like the extra legroom of those 20,000+ empty seats, I guess the fan situation is great.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n228753 said:
Yes, we grabbed several of FAU's recruits last year.

So long as you like the extra legroom of those 20,000+ empty seats, I guess the fan situation is great.
If every school decided not to pay wed have the same product we've had until now. I don't see your point

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Every school gives 'perks' of some sort, trying to legalize some of them will just make things worse.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;228759 said:
If every school decided not to pay wed have the same product we've had until now. I don't see your point

Why would they decide to not pay? The schools voted to to pay it. I guess they think t's important for student athletes. How is that having any bearing on you as a consumer?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228769 said:
Why would they decide to not pay? The schools voted to to pay it. I guess they think t's important for student athletes. How is that having any bearing on you as a consumer?
It doesn't have matter to me. I was just saying it wasn't necessary and they didn't have to cave. The only thing that bothers me is that every school isn't paying the same amount.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The hours a lot of these kids put it it's like having a job. Tebow used to put more in than the 20 hours with all the obligations of being the starting quarterback of the Gators. I do no have a problem with them being paid a salary for their services. This is no different than a kid on a research grant getting paid to do research for the University, which happens every day. What makes this different than a student who is being paid to due research while also getting a full ride by the University? They are both attempting to bring in revenue for the University, and also getting paid for their work.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228769 said:

Some things are not easy to understand. It is a nice thing to provide extra money for players, it would be great to be able to do it for every student or at least those without parental financial support. It was voted in so everyone will be paying, how much and how it is calculated is the important thing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The demands on the players time is more than 20 hours a week. Many, if not the majority, come from very poor single parent homes that cannot provide much financial support for clothes, late night food, movies, etc. $5700.00 per football player per year is a piddling amount and is probably about $2 per hour. Money for incidental expenses is not unreasonable.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n228795 said:
The demands on the players time is more than 20 hours a week. Many, if not the majority, come from very poor single parent homes that cannot provide much financial support for clothes, late night food, movies, etc. $5700.00 per football player per year is a piddling amount and is probably about $2 per hour. Money for incidental expenses is not unreasonable.

I agree and perhaps with a consistent process to determine what is reasonable it might be more. Now your idea of looking at the hours does not include that the hours are somewhat for their benefit. I always hated that some who actually needed some money for say an emergency really could not be helped legally.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The kids from poor families were already getting stipends in reality with full pell grants even though they get most things provided for them. I think it comes out to about 600 a month they were getting if they got the max pell grant many qualify for.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sabin says Bama will be running their football players' stipend dispersement through the Clinton Foundation ?

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n228797 said:
The kids from poor families were already getting stipends in reality with full pell grants even though they get most things provided for them. I think it comes out to about 600 a month they were getting if they got the max pell grant many qualify for.

Good point!!!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228032 said:
I guess I'm in the minority on this. I think the stipend is a good thing. These kids can't hold down jobs for spending money during the season and the stipend is not outrageous. I think it's a win-win.

I agree that the principle is a good thing. I also agree that it needs to be standardized.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n228796 said:
I agree and perhaps with a consistent process to determine what is reasonable it might be more. Now your idea of looking at the hours does not include that the hours are somewhat for their benefit. I always hated that some who actually needed some money for say an emergency really could not be helped legally.

The NCAA rules are outdated to the world we are in today. Remember Galen Hall was fired for paying his assistant coaches out of his pocket due to rules against salaries for assistant coaches which was later found to be a violation of federal antitrust (allogations of paying a players legal costs for child custody have never been confirmed or proven false, to my knowledge).

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n228875 said:
The NCAA rules are outdated to the world we are in today. Remember Galen Hall was fired for paying his assistant coaches out of his pocket due to rules against salaries for assistant coaches which was later found to be a violation of federal antitrust (allogations of paying a players legal costs for child custody have never been confirmed or proven false, to my knowledge).

Well those are the types of things that I was talking about. Now I think there are now ways around some of these sorts of issues. No amount of rules generally keep folks from cheating, I heard that many players get money from agents from a person around here who is an agent. I was surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.