Athlete Stipend

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n228527 said:
I never understood why someone would have themselves tattooed.

I'm with ha...I've never been fond enough of a drawing, name, phrase or the like that I felt the need to have it permanently displayed on myself.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;228527 said:
I never understood why someone would have themselves tattooed.

It's obviously a sign of wealth.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, when I googled it, that was all I could find.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I suppose there are exceptions to everything.

desktop-1412622135.png

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It isn't about the dollar amount, it's about the can of worms this opens. Give them money, eventually they'll start asking why they aren't making MORE money. Next you'll have them walking out and picketing or something. I couldn't be more against giving them one red cent. The scholarship and all the many perks that come with it are more than enough.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;228568 said:
It isn't about the dollar amount, it's about the can of worms this opens. Give them money, eventually they'll start asking why they aren't making MORE money. Next you'll have them walking out and picketing or something. I couldn't be more against giving them one red cent. The scholarship and all the many perks that come with it are more than enough.

Academic scholarships give cost of living allowances. Why shouldn't athletic scholarships?

In fact, I would argue that the amount of time that is spent practicing as a student athlete greatly outweighs the time spent studying on an academic scholarship.

People on academic scholarships can hold jobs to have spending money. Kids on athletic scholarships cannot hold jobs during the season because the amount of time involved in practice, travel, and play.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not opposed to a stipend that is line with what is given for academic scholarships. My problem is that the amount given should be the same for every school, otherwise it's going to be a major recruiting tool and get out of hand quickly.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't don't have a problem with it but every school should pay the same amount. Idk why the ncaa budged on this? These players need college football more than college football needs them. If a scholarship isn't enough just sit out 3 years and see where you get drafted.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;228583 said:
I don't don't have a problem with it but every school should pay the same amount. Idk why the ncaa budged on this? These players need college football more than college football needs them. If a scholarship isn't enough just sit out 3 years and see where you get drafted.

Colleges don't need CFB? I'd say there are 458 million reasons for only this year that the SEC needs it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;228577 said:
I'm not opposed to a stipend that is line with what is given for academic scholarships. My problem is that the amount given should be the same for every school, otherwise it's going to be a major recruiting tool and get out of hand quickly.

I agree.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n228601 said:
Colleges don't need CFB? I'd say there are 458 million reasons for only this year that the SEC needs it.
There will always be kids willing play for just a scholarship and there will always be fans in the seats and watching on tv.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;228614 said:
There will always be kids willing play for just a scholarship and there will always be fans in the seats and watching on tv.

I don't know of any recruits or players that have refused to play because they're not getting a stipend.

The schools can choose to do a stipend or not.

I agree with MJM that due to competition fairness, the amount should be max capped at a reasonable rate. Not mandated. But capped. That way if a school doesn't want to pay, it doesn't have to.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe they didn't put a cap on it like you speak of. I Think it's crazy they don't.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They did put a cap. Its the 5500 that others are paying. We of course are looking for the cheaper players and hoping to find some bargains on the seconds shelf.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;228631 said:
The did put a cap. Its the 5500 that others are paying. We of course are looking for the cheaper players and hoping to find some bargains on the seconds shelf.

Tennessee and Auburn are both over that amount. I don't think there's a cap. I think it's up to the School to set their amount. It just needs to be the same for all athletes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator