Bad news coming - UPDATED: 7 Gators Suspended for Michigan Game

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We should be good then. Haha
Eww. The only donkey show I'm interested in watching is any legendary rival getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly. Some suggested headliners:

vince dooley
lindsey scott
booby bowden
fisher
shameos
kanell
peanut head

Feel free to add suggestions.
Vince Dooley at the top of the list. You're obviously a gator through and through! Just beat the leghumpers.

TN G8R

Aug 24, 2016
Interesting tidbit: 105 different members posted in this thread.

like i said, flies are attracted to poop. I'm a fly, so...

If the rumors didn't begin to swirl, I am really curious if these game suspensions would have been announced soon or closer to game day. Before information was so readily available, you used to just hear about this leading up to game day. I'm sure this age drives coaches crazy. Other fan-bases act like Florida is harboring thugs or something, when in reality, I'm sure these 7 students aren't the first to do this.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
like i said, flies are attracted to poop. I'm a fly, so...

If the rumors didn't begin to swirl, I am really curious if these game suspensions would have been announced soon or closer to game day. Before information was so readily available, you used to just hear about this leading up to game day. I'm sure this age drives coaches crazy. Other fan-bases act like Florida is harboring thugs or something, when in reality, I'm sure these 7 students aren't the first to do this.
This happens everywhere....That's why there is such a push to pay college athletes is to avoid or "cover up" this type of action. Its like when players used to sell their home game tickets for their families for extra dough. I'm by no means condoning the actions, but lets (ESPN and everyone else) not act like these types of things don't happen at Bama, UT, UGA, F$U....Their administration just brushes under the rug and sends the players to a money management online course and print out a certificate to show course completion, and that's their punishment...

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Calloway again I am sure...
You were right. the sad thing is this kid has a talent to be an NFL player without question. And to be fair College athletes especially football players that bring in by far the most money should be getting some kind of decent stipend on a monthly basis. If they did then most of these college athletes would not be doing Petty things to come up with money.

All these suspensions is not a good way to start the season against Jim Harbaugh. Good luck to Mac this season.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
You were right. the sad thing is this kid has a talent to be an NFL player without question. And to be fair College athletes especially football players that bring in by far the most money should be getting some kind of decent stipend on a monthly basis. If they did then most of these college athletes would not be doing Petty things to come up with money.

All these suspensions is not a good way to start the season against Jim Harbaugh. Good luck to Mac this season.
I believe the stipend is per scholarship year with the max of $6,000 per year depending on attendance. So that's only 500 bucks a month for a college football athlete at a Power 5 team. I made more than that working at Winn Dixie in high school each week back in the mid to late 90's.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/how-do-schools-calculate-new-stipends-college-athletes

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe the stipend is per scholarship year with the max of $6,000 per year depending on attendance. So that's only 500 bucks a month for a college football athlete at a Power 5 team. I made more than that working at Winn Dixie in high school each week back in the mid to late 90's.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/how-do-schools-calculate-new-stipends-college-athletes
There are quite a bit more benefits beyond that approximately $500 a month stipend. They have virtually no concern over housing and food, two of the largest expenses any individual would have.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are quite a bit more benefits beyond that approximately $500 a month stipend. They have virtually no concern over housing and food, two of the largest expenses any individual would have.

The max Pell grant is spending money for them also if their parents don't have much money.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm appalled that we still have members condoning this and acting like it's no big deal.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
True, but come on...$500 a month in this economy?? what if you cant make the dining facility hours due to practice, classes, etc?? I'm just saying that really is not that much money in the overall grand scheme of the program, and like I said I am not condoning what they did and it is wrong. I am sure Callaway learned this "trick" from a previous upperclassman, and so on, and so on...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True, but come on...$500 a month in this economy?? what if you cant make the dining facility hours due to practice, classes, etc?? I'm just saying that really is not that much money in the overall grand scheme of the program, and like I said I am not condoning what they did and it is wrong. I am sure Callaway learned this "trick" from a previous upperclassman, and so on, and so on...
they have no concern for housing, no concern for food, the only other necessity is clothing. $500 a month is a schit ton of money for clothes, and you wouldn't need new ones every single month.

You really think football players are going to miss meals because of practice? Come on man.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I'm appalled that we still have members condoning this and acting like it's no big deal.
No one is condoning the behavior, but I am pretty sure Callaway isn't a financial expert or money launderer to come up with a plan like this on his own. I'm sure where they purchased the electronics flagged the cards, and reported these purchases to the University. Then the financial-aide office took control of the situation.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This happens everywhere....That's why there is such a push to pay college athletes is to avoid or "cover up" this type of action
Acting like this happens everywhere and everyone is doing it is making excuses for it. Sorry if you don't see that as condoning it. I don't remember anyone I went to college with doing these shady things who didn't pay serious consequences.

Then again, no on I went to college with revived $500 a month extra for their scholarship.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
they have no concern for housing, no concern for food, the only other necessity is clothing. $500 a month is a schit ton of money for clothes, and you wouldn't need new ones every single month.

You really think football players are going to miss meals because of practice? Come on man.
You are forgetting a huge piece. They are given $X for housing if they live off campus. Whatever they don't use for rent and utilities, they keep. I thought I heard the number was $1,500 a month, but I have no idea. You split a house in Gainesville among 3 or 4 guys and you keep a lot

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016

If you look at the link I sent, it also is for travel. So I assume that's for transportation around campus, etc. My original point was, that the media makes these guys out like drug money launderers, over $500, and that this exact type of thing happens at all Power 5 conferences, yet you never hear about it, ever.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

I dont get it. I have been wearing the same pair of underwear and socks for years. They are almost due to be washed.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
You are forgetting a huge piece. They are given $X for housing if they live off campus. Whatever they don't use for rent and utilities, they keep. I thought I heard the number was $1,500 a month, but I have no idea. You split a house in Gainesville among 3 or 4 guys and you keep a lot
This is the same way in the military with BAH. you get a few enlisted members living in one house and split the bills 3 ways, and you pocket the rest. Is this considered wrong? sure as you are not using all the allocated money for its intended purpose. But a vast majority of young enlisted members do this to have a little bit of extra money each month as situations arise. And its not a lot of money left over when considering the bills involved, and the quality of living you are wanting to live in. All I am saying is no program is innocent, especially when it comes to scholarship usage, etc. Especially when you can go work at Winn Dixie and make more money, but they cant if you are on scholarship or anywhere for that matter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is the same way in the military with BAH. you get a few enlisted members living in one house and split the bills 3 ways, and you pocket the rest. Is this considered wrong? sure as you are not using all the allocated money for its intended purpose. But a vast majority of young enlisted members do this to have a little bit of extra money each month as situations arise. And its not a lot of money left over when considering the bills involved, and the quality of living you are wanting to live in. All I am saying is no program is innocent, especially when it comes to scholarship usage, etc. Especially when you can go work at Winn Dixie and make more money, but they cant if you are on scholarship or anywhere for that matter.
No, this isn't wrong. Just pointing out that this is additional money they have at their disposal. Athletes aren't destitute like many believe. Hernandez used to take sacks of food to his gf's house. So there is really no need to starve unless you're a moron. The problem is that so many of these kids are wasting money on weed. Not a cheap habit.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
No, this isn't wrong. Just pointing out that this is additional money they have at their disposal. Athletes aren't destitute like many believe. Hernandez used to take sacks of food to his gf's house. So there is really no need to starve unless you're a moron. The problem is that so many of these kids are wasting money on weed. Not a cheap habit.
I completely agree. Why else would you need cold hard cash? unless drug dealers started using the square app on their phones now? but then that leaves a paper trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator