Baker Mayfield: A star is born

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The dude didn't wait long to make a statement -- and I mean a big statement -- in his NFL debut, entering the game late in the second with the Browns trailing the Jets 14-0.

The Browns, with Mayfield connecting on 17 of 23 passes and being on the receiving end of a razzle-dazzle TD, won 21-17, their first win since 2016.

"Dilly dilly to the Cleveland fans," Mayfield said after the game.

He now owns Cleveland.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I care more about Callaway. Dude could have had a huge game if not for that inaccurate turd Tyrod Taylor. The punt pass he threw was embarrassing.

As for Mayfield, he didn't look as good as Darnold's first game. Teams will adjust. I'll wait to see what Mayfield does next season before crowning him a star.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if the Browns will keep that effort up. They were pushing like crazy to finally get that win.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Weren't they saying the same of Johnny Manziel not that many years ago?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I care more about Callaway. Dude could have had a huge game if not for that inaccurate turd Tyrod Taylor. The punt pass he threw was embarrassing.

As for Mayfield, he didn't look as good as Darnold's first game. Teams will adjust. I'll wait to see what Mayfield does next season before crowning him a star.
Callaway could have made a better attempt to go up for the ball rather than a basket catch. He also had several other drops that should have been caught.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but didn’t Johnny lose? Baker clearly sparked the offense. Did you watch the game? It was night and day.

watched if from start to finish, first half the Wide Receivers couldn't catch a cold... The energy was different when Baker took the field, but everyone loves the backup especially a 1st overall one. My question is 6 games in when Defenses have tape on you, are you the same player.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
watched if from start to finish, first half the Wide Receivers couldn't catch a cold... The energy was different when Baker took the field, but everyone loves the backup especially a 1st overall one. My question is 6 games in when Defenses have tape on you, are you the same player.
I agree. There will be a lot of adjustments to him. Seemed like the 1st team players liked Baker on the field, not just the fans. You got the feeling they felt he should be the starter. That’s a huge accomplishment.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Callaway could have made a better attempt to go up for the ball rather than a basket catch. He also had several other drops that should have been caught.

True, but when you get as open as he did, having to stop and wait is terrible. I put that play all on Taylor. He did have a chance in the second half, but loafed the comeback route. Effort was an issue in the preseason. It still seems to be a problem. The moron has already had numerous chances. Halfa$$ing shouldn't surprise me, but it does.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There was a ball, that Jets should have picked off by Tyrod, that Callaway made no effort to fight for the ball. The NFL stands for Not For Long when you doing stuff like that.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He did have a chance in the second half, but loafed the comeback route. Effort was an issue in the preseason. It still seems to be a problem. The moron has already had numerous chances. Halfa$$ing shouldn't surprise me, but it does.
In fairness, he's never played anywhere where he had to expend actual effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator