Best one and done UF players?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan Smith. A key and underappreciated cog in that defense that carried us to the promised land in 2006. 8 picks, including one that sealed the SECC game against Arky.
He is an enigma for sure. He is probably the least talented guy to actually start for us, not talented enough to play in the WAC even... yet he got the most out of what talent he had. He came to us when we were in desperate need for a corner due to poor recruiting. He was truly the missing piece. I forget who our other option was but it wasn't good.

He was flat out terrible in coverage, too slow, with linebacker hips, just not up to the job. However, they hid him well in zone with the ERASER behind him. They even did weird things like playing three deep with him underneath (instead of the strong safety). He was a damn fox with his holds committed out of the view of the ref, and often even got pics of them. OCs threw at him early and often but he eventually made them pay.

Greatest? Weirdly both yes and hell no. IIRC he left early, largely bc he knew we were signing kids that would take his job, and didn't last but a few days in an NFL camp, getting cut even before the first roster cut.

Ryan Smith, the enigma.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He is an enigma for sure. He is probably the least talented guy to actually start for us, not talented enough to play in the WAC even... yet he got the most out of what talent he had. He came to us when we were in desperate need for a corner due to poor recruiting. He was truly the missing piece. I forget who our other option was but it wasn't good.

He was flat out terrible in coverage, too slow, with linebacker hips, just not up to the job. However, they hid him well in zone with the ERASER behind him. They even did weird things like playing three deep with him underneath (instead of the strong safety). He was a damn fox with his holds committed out of the view of the ref, and often even got pics of them. OCs threw at him early and often but he eventually made them pay.

Greatest? Weirdly both yes and hell no. IIRC he left early, largely bc he knew we were signing kids that would take his job, and didn't last but a few days in an NFL camp, getting cut even before the first roster cut.

Ryan Smith, the enigma.
He was a grad transfer - I don't know if that fits the definition of 'one-and-done' as I just think of true freshmen when I hear that term.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan Smith was a one and done. He actually was a junior and left for the NFL instead of returning for his senior year at UF. He led the team in INTs with 8 I believe that year so he was a great player for us.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ryan Smith was a one and done. He actually was a junior and left for the NFL instead of returning for his senior year at UF. He led the team in INTs with 8 I believe that year so he was a great player for us.
I can see why you might think he was a junior, since he left us with a year of eligibility, but he graduated early from Utah before coming to UF as a grad transfer. He would have had to sit out a year if he was only coming in as a junior. He did have a year of eligibility left, but he chose to go pro instead.
From Wiki:
He chose to play for Utah and was an immediate starter under Urban Meyer's surprise 2004 Utes team, winning the Fiesta Bowl as a mid-major team. Using a new and scrutinized NCAA rule, Smith took 21 credit hours during the summer of 2006 to graduate and be eligibile to play at a new college the next season. He re-united with Meyer in Florida for the University of Florida 2006 season, where he was a starter for the 2006 National champions. He declared for the 2007 NFL Draft despite having a year of eligibility remaining.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was a grad transfer - I don't know if that fits the definition of 'one-and-done' as I just think of true freshmen when I hear that term.
Well you can't really leave for the NFL as a freshman unless you spent a couple years on a Mormon Mission or doing something else.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well you can't really leave for the NFL as a freshman unless you spent a couple years on a Mormon Mission or doing something else.
Then I guess the term 'one-and-done' really only applies to basketball; or JUCO/Grad transfers in football.
Or like you said, but how often does something like that happen in football where a guy takes a couple of years out of HS, then goes to college to play FB, and only plays one year to jump to the NFL? I can't think of any. :bandit:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wobble, for a year he dominated the chatbox, but I'm not sure he could be called a playah, he let a dawg do him in

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wobble, for a year he dominated the chatbox... he was a dawg
FIFY.

Actually he wasn't a football or sports fan at all. He was just here to creep on Sas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator