Big 12 Expansion

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Since it actually looks like it is going to happen this time around....

What teams do you think Should be added and which ones do you think will Actually be added

Personally; living in Big 12 country like I do...many including I believe they should add Cinci, Memphis, BYU, UCONN...

UCONN: Good Bball and gives WVU the traveling partner they were promised.
Cinci: Breaks into Ohio
BYU: $$
Memphis: Market + FedEx has promised to dump a ton of money into the Big 12 if Memphis is added

The Florida schools make absolutely no sense at all and honestly even though UCF has a large alumni base and school; they don't offer anything sports wise and Florida is becoming crowded in recruiting anyways with the UF, FSU, Bama, Clemson, Miami, Michigan (Now), etc...Big 12 wouldn't gain much.

Houston won't be added; Texas would never allow that

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I can see them adding BYU and maybe UCF.

BYU is a maybe because they like to be independent, but I think the realize they need to join a conference if they want to be a serious player. UCF is on the verge of being a decent team and they are in Florida. A spot in the Big 12 could get them more recruits.

Not sure who else it could be. I'll see if I can get some details from my friend who works for the Longhorn Network.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can see them adding BYU and maybe UCF.

BYU is a maybe because they like to be independent, but I think the realize they need to join a conference if they want to be a serious player. UCF is on the verge of being a decent team and they are in Florida. A spot in the Big 12 could get them more recruits.

Not sure who else it could be. I'll see if I can get some details from my friend who works for the Longhorn Network.

They really have no viable options.
They can either spread their footprint all over the country and try to convince fans that they have rivalries with schools that are 1000+ miles away (BYU, UCF, etc.) or try to maintain a logical footprint and go after lower tier programs like Houston and Memphis.

In summary, the Big 12 is the conference that got left without a chair when the music stopped. How appropriate when you consider that the greedy slobs at Texas started all of this mass movement.

Jun 2, 2015
I feel UCF should be a definite for a variety of reasons including they are the 2nd largest university in the USA,. situated in a fertile recruiting state, have a solid following and the support of Orlando and an up and coming football team.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nebraska and Colorado

Colorado would come back in a heart beat, the money wasn't as good moving. I think Nebraska is raking in the cash with their new conference especially being an also ran in there.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Colorado would come back in a heart beat, the money wasn't as good moving. I think Nebraska is raking in the cash with their new conference especially being an also ran in there.

I doubt either Colorado or Nebraska would return unless Texas comes to their senses. Texas wanting and getting nearly 70% of the TV revenue for the entire conference is the reason why both of these schools departed. The Longhorn Network was simply the final straw, at that point Colorado was already on the way out.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Houston is another possibility. They may try to get Colorado back, but that is just desperation.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I feel UCF should be a definite for a variety of reasons including they are the 2nd largest university in the USA,. situated in a fertile recruiting state, have a solid following and the support of Orlando and an up and coming football team.

Yeah I just don't agree with that. Sure the #'s support the first couple of statements but Florida is already heavily recruited by better schools than the Big 12 has to offer and UCF doesn't really offer much. One good season in football doesn't account for much

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Texas will do everything they can to keep it to them, Oklahoma and ten minions that will obey.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If schools are going to jump conferences all the time and conferences don't make any geographical sense then why have conferences in the first place?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If schools are going to jump conferences all the time and conferences don't make any geographical sense then why have conferences in the first place?

TV stations pay Big money for big conferences. They also have championship games which adds an additional game for revenue.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
UH and BYU. At least they'll have a couple of teams with recently good CV's, something sorely lacking in that group.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see what ucf has to offer. They have alot of students but they don't have a big fanbase and they've had like one good football season in my lifetime. Other than Disney world, I don't see the appeal there.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I would love trade the B12 Mizzou ,Arky and TAMU for OU and go back to 12 teams...:lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From coaching search:

Will the Big 12 actually agree on which schools to add? The league’s coaches have spoken, and there isn’t a clear consensus there.

In an anonymous poll conducted by ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, BYU and Houston each received 5 votes, Cincinnati and Memphis had 4 votes, and Colorado State and UCF had one vote. Of course, the coaches don't make the decision.

The decision to expand is one thing, but will there actually be an agreement? There must be 8 yes votes to get in, meaning three schools can block. The Austin American-Statesman reports non-Texas schools “aren’t fired up” about adding a fifth Texas school to the league. The travel to West Virginia has been an issue. Would they add another school from far away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator