Big 12 Expansion

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see what ucf has to offer. They have alot of students but they don't have a big fanbase and they've had like one good football season in my lifetime. Other than Disney world, I don't see the appeal there.
USF and UCF would make a lot of sense. At 13 and 19 respectively, they are the two biggest TV markets of all the teams mentioned except Houston. And don't think for a minute that having the hottest recruiting territory in the country isn't attractive no matter how many schools try to pilfer athletes here. They both have good facilities and with UCF's new coach bringing Oregon style football and attitude they would be an attractive and interesting team to watch. In addition, you would be adding an instant rivalry to your conference.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
TV stations pay Big money for big conferences. They also have championship games which adds an additional game for revenue.

couples-you-didnt-know.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
USF and UCF would make a lot of sense. At 13 and 19 respectively, they are the two biggest TV markets of all the teams mentioned except Houston. And don't think for a minute that having the hottest recruiting territory in the country isn't attractive no matter how many schools try to pilfer athletes here. They both have good facilities and with UCF's new coach bringing Oregon style football and attitude they would be an attractive and interesting team to watch. In addition, you would be adding an instant rivalry to your conference.
I get that Orlando's a big market but I've never met a die hard ucf knight fan in my life. The majority of college football fans are going to be watching Florida fsu and Miami every Sunday. Houston and byu make more sense if we're talking football success.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Add BYU and Notre Dame. Get rid of that damn "Independent" tag and put these guys on a regular conference schedule.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Add BYU and Notre Dame. Get rid of that damn "Independent" tag and put these guys on a regular conference schedule.
Notre dame is locked in with the acc

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I get that Orlando's a big market but I've never met a die hard ucf knight fan in my life. The majority of college football fans are going to be watching Florida fsu and Miami every Sunday. Houston and byu make more sense if we're talking football success.
Exactly. I go to a couple UCF games every season. We get free club passes, which is nice but I like to walk around the stadium some before and during the games and I see plenty of people there wearing their UF, FSU and even a few UM shirts and hats.....In other words they're still a half ass program that will always take a back seat to the big boys.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt either Colorado or Nebraska would return unless Texas comes to their senses. Texas wanting and getting nearly 70% of the TV revenue for the entire conference is the reason why both of these schools departed. The Longhorn Network was simply the final straw, at that point Colorado was already on the way out.

Nebraska won't due to money, but Colorado is getting from the Pac-12 and what they would get from the Big 12 are roughly the same. The Pac-12 doesn't generate as much total income as the Big-12. Colorado has the potential to make more money with the Big-12 even with Texas getting that stupid percentage.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
UCF is Mickey Mouse not Mighty Mouse. If they ever did become Mighty Mouse they're still a mouse and always will be a mouse in a state with Miami, FSU, and the University of Florida.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Recent expansion and realignment in college football has been driven by one thing, and one thing only: revenue. Revenue is driven by TV contracts, which in turn is driven by conference footprint and the number of TVs within that geographic footprint. This explains why the B1G otherwise inexplicably added Rutgers and Maryland the last go-round. They can now argue to the TV networks that they now "own" metro NYC (Rutgers) and WDC/Baltimore (Maryland) - and millions and millions of associated TV sets. League championship games also factor in to the revenue equation.

Given this, and given the ACC's announcement that they're establishing a TV network, the Big 12 almost has to expand. They've fallen way behind on the revenue train. That said, to me, Memphis, Cincy, UCF and USF make the most sense. They add a corporate boost (Memphis, Cincy, UCF), inroads into recruiting hotbeds (USF, UCF, Cincy), and eastern geographical balance. Most importantly, these schools are situated in the 11th (USF), 19th (UCF), 36th (Cincy) and 50th (Memphis) largest media markets in the USA. It is clear that all of these options are "little brothers" to higher profile college football brands within their respective states, but that is not what has driven this wave of conference realignment. Number of TV sets within the "conference footprint" have, and these schools provide the most TV sets.

All that said, the pronouncement from Texas the other day that Houston should be included in the Big 12 sets all of the above on its ear. Houston does not increase their footprint, nor does it add fresh TVs. And it elevates a fresh competitor to the existing Big 12 Texas-based schools for recruits. Based on what's driven expansion and realignment recently, Houston to the Big 12 makes no sense. So who the hell knows?

What do I think will happen? They'll probably add BYU (perception of "prestige as a "football" school"), apparently Houston now and I'd bet Cincy and UCF (or Memphis).

What should happen? Memphis, Cincy, USF and UCF.

I'd really like to see us poach OU for now as we figure out who to add as the 16th (or who to boot to get back to 14 - and I'm looking at you, Mizzou....).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Notre dame is locked in with the acc

In all things but football, which is king. So, if forced into a conference, what makes sense for ND? An ACC group that has FSU and CLEM and....nothing? Or B12 that has TX and OU and a lot of nothing? About even. For me, B1G would have made the most sense, but that conference would need to boot someone (or add someone crappier than RUT and MD) to bring ND in.

I'd love ND to join a conference in football. That day I will crack open, and finish, a bottle of adult liquor with a salute of "F YOU ND, may you never win a conference title"

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
As others mentioned, it is all about footprint - recruiting and viewers. That is what drives realignment, not sanity, and certainly not any fan sense of what would be appropriate or even remotely interesting. With that criteria, the B12 gains nothing with HOU, but MEM, CIN and UCF provide viewers (and for UCF there is the recruiting benefit for playing games in the heart of Florida). These are all weak sisters, and do not threaten the TX-OU domination of the conference, but do increase revenues (viewers), so it could happen.

Putting aside the real decision points, I could see MEM and HOU are the hot options, but I don't see either as a sustainable program. Both have had rumors of losing their coaches to P5 schools. Joining the B12 still won't make them a P5 school and those coaches will likely get stolen. At which point, these weak sisters lose any semblence of threat and become the ASU of the P12 or the ILL of the B1G. From a football and competitive standpoint, HOU and MEM are your best chances to add some strength to the conference, but as soon as the coaches leave, you've lost that aspect. BYU brings a fringe program, but it will not help recruiting, and besides the Mormon Nation you won't be gaining a lot of viewers (assuming you absorb the BYU network....yeah, set a precedent for the Foghorn Network, yeah!). But ultimately, you are signing up another weak sister, one with some weird idiosyncrasies that you may regret later.

The B12 won't pull in any good programs, there just aren't that many out there and even the crappy ones (MD, MIZZ, RUT, etc) have been taken into P5 homes. If anything, the B12 loses OU (and maybe OSU) to a better conference and is left collecting even more weak sisters. They (TX, and the others by letting TX be TX) put themselves in this position, let them eat it.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
As others mentioned, it is all about footprint - recruiting and viewers. That is what drives realignment, not sanity, and certainly not any fan sense of what would be appropriate or even remotely interesting. With that criteria, the B12 gains nothing with HOU, but MEM, CIN and UCF provide viewers (and for UCF there is the recruiting benefit for playing games in the heart of Florida). These are all weak sisters, and do not threaten the TX-OU domination of the conference, but do increase revenues (viewers), so it could happen.

Putting aside the real decision points, I could see MEM and HOU are the hot options, but I don't see either as a sustainable program. Both have had rumors of losing their coaches to P5 schools. Joining the B12 still won't make them a P5 school and those coaches will likely get stolen. At which point, these weak sisters lose any semblence of threat and become the ASU of the P12 or the ILL of the B1G. From a football and competitive standpoint, HOU and MEM are your best chances to add some strength to the conference, but as soon as the coaches leave, you've lost that aspect. BYU brings a fringe program, but it will not help recruiting, and besides the Mormon Nation you won't be gaining a lot of viewers (assuming you absorb the BYU network....yeah, set a precedent for the Foghorn Network, yeah!). But ultimately, you are signing up another weak sister, one with some weird idiosyncrasies that you may regret later.

The B12 won't pull in any good programs, there just aren't that many out there and even the crappy ones (MD, MIZZ, RUT, etc) have been taken into P5 homes. If anything, the B12 loses OU (and maybe OSU) to a better conference and is left collecting even more weak sisters. They (TX, and the others by letting TX be TX) put themselves in this position, let them eat it.

You're pretty far off on your observation of BYU...

Pros:

Salt Lake TV Market - 1.2 million people
6.5 million Mormons (Most Who Are BYU Fans)
Only team in consideration with P5 Facilities
BYU third biggest fball stadium, first biggest bball
Easy connection With Major Airports for Travel
#66 Academic rating putting it only behind Texas
Enrollment 30,000 - 5th in Big 12
45 mil Athletic budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.