Billy Napier is a stupid *****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
It took dabo a couple of years to get climpson turned around. Lots of tigers fans wanted him dumped after 2 years also. Remains to be seen what Billy does.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
It took dabo a couple of years to get climpson turned around. Lots of tigers fans wanted him dumped after 2 years also. Remains to be seen what Billy does.
Billy sucks. His “process” sucks. Nothing remains to be seen. If he doesn’t win more than 4 games this year, he’s gone.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It was hard to get too excited about McElwain just because he came across as such a moron. Then Mullen was Mullen. In many respects, Napier was the closest thing to Meyer we’d seen when he was hired. Young, appeared hungry, said all the right things and had won at his previous program. I don’t blame Ox or anyone for getting on the train. Nor do I blame him or anyone for not wanting to hop off and on to the next given the past 14 years. This one felt like it should’ve worked which makes it tougher to me than the others.

I actually commend the stance ox took in getting most of us to not reflexively hate on Napier when the hire was made. In effect, all he was asking for was for us to approach the hire with an open mind and be patient enough to give Napier the time we all knew he needed.

And most all of us did.

Sure, there were questions and some doubts about his offense and game management; but they were valid concerns and not just petty, entitled hating.

But where we're at now isn't the fanbase being too impatient and not giving him a chance--it's squarely due to Napier's own deficiencies as a coach. The problems are glaringly obvious--and they were readily apparent last year too. For a guy who preaches "trust the process" and that he "evaluates everything"...how he can't realize he needs to change his approach is confounding.

Promoting our TEs coach to OC and seeing how we do the rest of the way will go a long way to restoring faith in his abilities to be here long-term.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I actually commend the stance ox took in getting most of us to not reflexively hate on Napier when the hire was made. In effect, all he was asking for was for us to approach the hire with an open mind and be patient enough to give Napier the time we all knew he needed.
Agree. Someone has to keep the board reasonable. If not for Ox and moderators, each of us would start our own, unnecessary "I'm butt hurt" thread.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when many on here swore the offense would be better without AR and with Mertz?

View attachment 62443

Where’s @Daryl been? :lol:
Grammy & Billy

Mertz has been better than I anticipated but almost everything is a dump down where the pass catcher has his back to the d or has to stop to catch the football . Though it’s hard to top a Billy special . All hitch routes short of the sticks on 3rd down .

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Me, looking for Daryl to explain to us all how we're missing the brilliance happening with the offense...

giphy.gif

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Remember when many on here swore the offense would be better without AR and with Mertz?

It's hard to tell what was sincere and what was messing around; but that said: Mertz has shown us more than most were expecting, in fairness.

My biggest criticism of him is that he is waaaaay too quick to get the ball out of his hands (either to his check-down or to his first read). There were times he wasn't being blitzed or pressured and instead of being patient and waiting to see what breaks open...he immediately zips it to the flat, where more often that not, we get tackled for a short gain. Our INT was a product of him forcing it to his first read (throwing high and into quadruple coverage) rather than looking to his right and seeing our slot WR in single coverage that found a hole in the defense beyond the first down marker. They weren't blitzing and he had an extra second to wait, as their rush was bottled up.

I understand our OL is weaker than it was last year and teams have reliably gotten pressure on us even with 3 and 4 man rushes...but one of Mertz's surprising strengths has been throwing accurately on the run. Several of our longest completions in this game (and others this year) have been when Mertz broke the pocket and threw on the run. If that's a strength of his--find ways to utilize it more.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to tell what was sincere and what was messing around; but that said: Mertz has shown us more than most were expecting, in fairness.

My biggest criticism of him is that he is waaaaay too quick to get the ball out of his hands (either to his check-down or to his first read). There were times he wasn't being blitzed or pressured and instead of being patient and waiting to see what breaks open...he immediately zips it to the flat, where more often that not, we get tackled for a short gain. Our INT was a product of him forcing it to his first read (throwing high and into quadruple coverage) rather than looking to his right and seeing our slot WR in single coverage that found a hole in the defense beyond the first down marker. They weren't blitzing and he had an extra second to wait, as their rush was bottled up.

I understand our OL is weaker than it was last year and teams have reliably gotten pressure on us even with 3 and 4 man rushes...but one of Mertz's surprising strengths has been throwing accurately on the run. Several of our longest completions in this game (and others this year) have been when Mertz broke the pocket and threw on the run. If that's a strength of his--find ways to utilize it more.
How long would YOU hold onto the ball behind our OL? :lol:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

I actually think he holds it to long. Often he sees a first read that is starting to break open, but hesitates. By then the D has coalesced around our Two receivers. Combined with the plodding play allowing the D to get set while the OL shakes in their stance…….

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
What's mind blowing to me is NO MATTER what the game situation is with 6:00 minutes or less in the game the Gators act like they are on a Sunday stroll tempo wise. Just like a whale lumbering along trying to go down field burning clock no matter what position they find themselves in. What coach, other than OURS of couse, DOES THAT?

It’s a by-product of his lackadaisical, ho-hum, no fire/passion attitude. It permeates the entire program and explains so much about the lack of fire & hustle exhibited by the players and the lack of hurry up in key situation.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
AR masked a ton on offense that we’re now seeing with Mertz. Not bagging Mertz though, he’s been okay, it’s the offense (& OL in particular) that are the problem

ted

Aug 24, 2019
I have never quite understood why head coaches who made their way up as either offensive or defensive geniuses would be hesitant to hire coordinators. Anyone has managed a large department with many employees can attest that the better your management team is the easier your job is in regards to leading a successful business/team. Hopefully Billy will understand that hiring an excellent OC and special teams coordinator will make him successful beyond his wildest dreams.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Watching Bama yesterday and Saban’s old ass going around getting in everyone’s shat… vs our sideline. We wanted a warrior monk CEO and we got a grief counselor

Sun Belt Billy is the licensed therapist/social worker all the Defund the Policers wanted to send to a quadruple homicide in progress rather than the kick azz & bust heads SWAT team the situation calls for.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AR masked a ton on offense that we’re now seeing with Mertz. Not bagging Mertz though, he’s been okay, it’s the offense (& OL in particular) that are the problem
So many clueless jack wagons like Darry defended this ****ty play calling all while slamming AR . It was shameful . I’d argue the play calling this season has been even worse by Sunbelt boy .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator