Billy Napier is a stupid *****

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
They sit together and kibitz in the press box before, during and after the game. They saw what we did, and after a game that had meaning and consequence, it was inevitable someone would pipe up. It's become the elephant in the room.

Isn't it just a bit ironic that a guy who prides himself on organization and managing details would be the one guy in the room who refused to see the facts for what they are? Napier can play the game of denial only so much longer before his standing reaches the point of no return. Only that pearl of a 2024 recruiting class and a large buyout stand as a buffer.

If he's smart, he'll recognize his real value to the position, as CEO and program ambassador, and go get himself a bonafide play caller. Or he can look back and wonder, what if?
I am not calling for this particular play per se, but I have watched LSU run a slot fade route a dozen times in the last 2 weeks from different parts of the field. I do not think that is in Billy Taggert's playbook.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Put. On. Blast.
I read this article. Excellent assessment and honest journalism and opinion. I am sure the PUZZIES in the Athletic Dept. will revoke their press pass immediately, if they even had one to begin with.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I know a guy who wouldn’t mind drawing up and calling a few plays. He’d probably come pretty cheap too, and we wouldn’t have to pay to relocate him.

Steve spurrier pointing GIF by Florida Gators

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The thing that galls me the most is that before this game ever kicked off, I said that Napier better have this team prepared for a motivated Kentucky team that ALWAYS comes out ready to play against us under Stoops.

We have the more talented team and there wasn't any reason we couldn't win...except for the "dog" factor and whether or not our team could match what we ALL knew Kentucky would bring.

We didn't.
From the opening whistle to the final one, this team was out-hustled, out-motivated, out-coached, and out-fought.

That's all on Napier.

And in this era of college football, there's no excuse for it. Multiple teams have rebuilt their entire program in one offseason via the portal. Colorado, f$u, LSU, and even Kentucky. Speaking of Kentucky--we've had higher recruiting rankings in all but 2022 (Napier's transition class). So it shouldn't be a talent issue...it's coaching, pure and simple.

Colorado almost came back down 20 points in the fourth quarter. Baylor scored 28 unanswered to beat UCF in the fourth quarter.

There is simply no excuse for the offense Napier is putting out on the field. There's no urgency at any point in the game. No in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing. No downfield passing. If our team gets behind the sticks via a penalty or negative yardage play? Bust out the punter...because we aren't converting. And even if we don't punt...we call absolutely mind-bogglingly dumb fourth down plays.

I'm with the author that said there isn't anything inherently wrong with being relatively mild-mannered, but know when to show emotion too. This is competitive sports and results matter. Show your team it matters. Show the fans it matters. When the refs blow a call at a critical junction in the game and call false start when it was clearly offsides--get in their faces. So what if they call a 15 yd penalty...they'll get the message that you're going to report them to the league and they'll get demoted next week. And in any case, your punter can boot it 60 yards anyway...see if it shakes things up.

And whatever you do, don't sit on the clock down 2+ scores and then mumble that the fanbase doesn't know what they're talking about.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The thing that galls me the most is that before this game ever kicked off, I said that Napier better have this team prepared for a motivated Kentucky team that ALWAYS comes out ready to play against us under Stoops.

We have the more talented team and there wasn't any reason we couldn't win...except for the "dog" factor and whether or not our team could match what we ALL knew Kentucky would bring.

We didn't.
From the opening whistle to the final one, this team was out-hustled, out-motivated, out-coached, and out-fought.

That's all on Napier.

And in this era of college football, there's no excuse for it. Multiple teams have rebuilt their entire program in one offseason via the portal. Colorado, f$u, LSU, and even Kentucky. Speaking of Kentucky--we've had higher recruiting rankings in all but 2022 (Napier's transition class). So it shouldn't be a talent issue...it's coaching, pure and simple.

Colorado almost came back down 20 points in the fourth quarter. Baylor scored 28 unanswered to beat UCF in the fourth quarter.

There is simply no excuse for the offense Napier is putting out on the field. There's no urgency at any point in the game. No in-game adjustments to what the defense is doing. No downfield passing. If our team gets behind the sticks via a penalty or negative yardage play? Bust out the punter...because we aren't converting. And even if we don't punt...we call absolutely mind-bogglingly dumb fourth down plays.

I'm with the author that said there isn't anything inherently wrong with being relatively mild-mannered, but know when to show emotion too. This is competitive sports and results matter. Show your team it matters. Show the fans it matters. When the refs blow a call at a critical junction in the game and call false start when it was clearly offsides--get in their faces. So what if they call a 15 yd penalty...they'll get the message that you're going to report them to the league and they'll get demoted next week. And in any case, your punter can boot it 60 yards anyway...see if it shakes things up.

And whatever you do, don't sit on the clock down 2+ scores and then mumble that the fanbase doesn't know what they're talking about.
I am not disagreeing with you nor others who share your views, but what exactly gives you all the opinion that UF is/was a more talented team that UK? I honestly did not see it and I mean from an athletic view. From a coaching angle it was a clear mismatch, but I do not think the talent was skewed either way.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am not disagreeing with you nor others who share your views, but what exactly gives you all the opinion that UF is/was a more talented team that UK? I honestly did not see it and I mean from an athletic view. From a coaching angle it was a clear mismatch, but I do not think the talent was skewed either way.
According to the sites who keep track of player and class rankings and assign a value to every team of what their talent level is. We have consistently recruited better than Kentucky every year except 2022 and hold a roster advantage in talent. The problem is that we do not run an offense that showcases that talent. Last year we didn't run a defense that showcased that talent, hence the DC was encouraged to move on.

In all fairness to Stoops and his staff, they've closed the talent gap between the Kentucky of old and the top tier of the SEC. During that same time period we've hired retard after retard who have lowered our talent level. The narrowing of that talent gap we used to enjoy is one of the key ingredients that is making it harder for us to beat the programs we should beat. The other key ingredient is coaching, which is definitely on the subpar side.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm with you on that. Can't defend it at all. He is going to have to make changes, but he's here at least to the end '24 to show it.
I just don't even think '24 is a given for him. A losing record and an ugly loss to fsu, I could see the plug being pulled. But I imagine Scott stricklin would get the ax first.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

We didn't.

That's all on Napier.

Season 9 Good Job GIF by Friends

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just don't even think '24 is a given for him. A losing record and an ugly loss to fsu, I could see the plug being pulled. But I imagine Scott stricklin would get the ax first.
I do not think it will happen, but if the new Prez gives a shyt and truly cares like some other SEC prezzes do, and wants to curry favor with a good portion of the fan base, he will jettison Strichnine immediately if not sooner under the "i want to work with my people" BS but also for cause, citing his hiring and mishandling of the Wimminz BBall coach, his failed hiring of Cousin Eddie and his ineptness of not getting a better settlement with Butters when Butters stuck his foot in his mouth. Hire a REAL AD, meaning an Athletic Director who knows a bit more about sports than just what a "jock strap" is. Now it really would put Billy Taggert on notice and that would allow them to see if he wants to sink (no changes) or swim (make changes).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't even think '24 is a given for him. A losing record and an ugly loss to fsu, I could see the plug being pulled. But I can fantasize about Scott stricklin getting the ax first.
A boy can dream...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
According to the sites who keep track of player and class rankings and assign a value to every team of what their talent level is. We have consistently recruited better than Kentucky every year except 2022 and hold a roster advantage in talent. The problem is that we do not run an offense that showcases that talent. Last year we didn't run a defense that showcased that talent, hence the DC was encouraged to move on.
The problem is that "talent label" is given to a 17 year old kid and we also know offers from certain schools raise their rating more in the recruiting services....

There is almost no objective way someone could watch the game today and say we are more talented than UK.....As our coaching has gotten worse over the last 15 years the ability to "evaluate" as gone downhill regardless of what a 17 year olds recruiting score says....It's the same reason we've had less success using the portal too. right?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Technically he wanted Fedora and Brohm, both of whom have been colossal failures in their own right. He was generally pretty cynical toward the end, and for good reason. Like most he saw some good. But he also did say the offense would be an issue. So I guess to an extent. But no one thought it would work. So all of us mere mortals were right.
No one watched ull and thought that would translate. Also you look at most of their wins in the sunbelt we're one score games. LSU had zero interest. The red flags were there. I feel like we hired a guy and used words like "infrastructure" and "relationships" to fill in the blanks for no scheme.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No heart, no killer instinct, no pride in the program. That is on the coaching staff. They have to instill all of that into the players and coach them up. As players we have to naturally have all of that too. There is just no excitment in the program and that has to change or else losing seasons will be the norm every single year and that equates to 4 win seasons every year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was told all week buttchug proved he takes rivalries and games we traditionally dominate seriously. Personally I'd prefer if he just took basic fundamentals seriously but I'd settle for the correct number of players on the field... in different jersey numbers.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Lots of if's of course but IF we lose to Vandy we are staring down losing the rest, and he will not survive that. Either he goes or they lose the fanbase.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No one watched ull and thought that would translate. Also you look at most of their wins in the sunbelt we're one score games. LSU had zero interest. The red flags were there. I feel like we hired a guy and used words like "infrastructure" and "relationships" to fill in the blanks for no scheme.

You’re dead on. And it’s because the last guy—also hired by the same AD—focused on literally none of that. So we swung the pendulum back the other way. No different than when Foley announced we’d decided to go away from an all defense approach Saban assistant to an all offense former Saban assistant. The other schools have to all be laughing at how amateur hour we are at the top.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I am not calling for this particular play per se, but I have watched LSU run a slot fade route a dozen times in the last 2 weeks from different parts of the field. I do not think that is in Billy Taggert's playbook.
And today Auburn, Ole Miss and Georgia running high octane pass games, going for it, being successful. Ours seems mistake prone and ultimately conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator