Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Louisiana State

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There are no words to assuage the feelings on Sunday morning after a loss. There is no magic phrase to ease the pissedoffness. It is what it is. Our team is a shell of a complete team. We have talent but injuries and suspensions has gutted it. We also have players that do not quit.............
74353767_04c2efc838.jpg
the bycchh is back..........(I even got the orange and blue in there)

We just lost to a shell of a team that had to play 3 true freshmen on their O line this game. No excuses for this crap.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover you always seem to nail it perfectly. I feel this team is a combination of the youth, suspensions, and coaching ineptness. I think we are in for a rough couple of games. The only good with moving Nuss to the pressbox is usually that might be the next step to moving him out of the coaches office. But Mac has to own that too, he's not off the hook.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Is Toney really that bad of a passer? Why don't we let him go at QB? Our WR's don't get open anyway. The kid makes positive plays just about every time he has it. He should touch the ball every play. Need to try something different because TAMU has some talent and is going to score some points. We need to keep up. UGA will roll right over us in our current situation. We can easily be below .500 after the cocktail party if something isn't done.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover you always seem to nail it perfectly. I feel this team is a combination of the youth, suspensions, and coaching ineptness. I think we are in for a rough couple of games. The only good with moving Nuss to the pressbox is usually that might be the next step to moving him out of the coaches office. But Mac has to own that too, he's not off the hook.
Thanks TN. It is quite the conglomeration that you and others mention. I agree that the road will get bumpy and though I am hoping we learned something from this loss that we can turn into a positive, I know in my head it won't happen without doing some different things. What's really frustrating is that we have some talent, young and raw as it may be, but a coach can bring it out and mesh it into at least a serviceable squad. We can look just so unprepared and lost at times that it's hard if not darn near impossible to have confidence in the leadership. I fear the players will eventually resign themselves a well. Not quit, mid you, but play with doubt and that is never good. I hope not. Our decade in the wilderness continues.

One last note, one of the things I watched before going to sleep last evening was the SEC Networks wrap up with Chris Doering, Gene Chizik, and the studio guy. Doering said (my paraphrase) that the staff appeared afraid to open the playbook sufficiently for Franks, that it was dumbed down too much and that when we either couldn't run it or were behind and needed to pass, the kid's frame of reference and what they called for him wasn't nearly enough to get it done consistently. Coaching scared was the theme. Later on, Booger McFarland spoke of Matt Canada's game plan that early on exploited our weaknesses at LB with the many Jet Sweeps and later the throws to the backs. Their staff was under the gun pretty big after last week and the whole start. I don't think they are better than us, but they certainly out coached us. We lack that same urgency.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks TN. It is quite the conglomeration that you and others mention. I agree that the road will get bumpy and though I am hoping we learned something from this loss that we can turn into a positive, I know in my head it won't happen without doing some different things. What's really frustrating is that we have some talent, young and raw as it may be, but a coach can bring it out and mesh it into at least a serviceable squad. We can look just so unprepared and lost at times that it's hard if not darn near impossible to have confidence in the leadership. I fear the players will eventually resign themselves a well. Not quit, mid you, but play with doubt and that is never good. I hope not. Our decade in the wilderness continues.

One last note, one of the things I watched before going to sleep last evening was the SEC Networks wrap up with Chris Doering, Gene Chizik, and the studio guy. Doering said (my paraphrase) that the staff appeared afraid to open the playbook sufficiently for Franks, that it was dumbed down too much and that when we either couldn't run it or were behind and needed to pass, the kid's frame of reference and what they called for him wasn't nearly enough to get it done consistently. Coaching scared was the theme. Later on, Booger McFarland spoke of Matt Canada's game plan that early on exploited our weaknesses at LB with the many Jet Sweeps and later the throws to the backs. Their staff was under the gun pretty big after last week and the whole start. I don't think they are better than us, but they certainly out coached us. We lack that same urgency.

Agreed, whether is it Mac or Nuss or even MacNussy they are now in a situation that they need to quit with the Mangina attitude and fearing and playing not to lose. Doering is right, need to open it up and sink or swim. Other teams seems to be doing that as well. No need to hold back as there will be no championships to play for. We are playing for survival and experience at this point.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not as technically sound about the game as others, but beat it to death or not, it's the OC in harmony with his position group coaching. There's no method to his madness. I mean it feels like just guessing, our talent seems poorly substituted during critical/momentum runs, not composing an attack on enemy weakness... just spin the limited imagination play wheel. So, we're quick to stall out and Nuss doesn't know how to get our team out of trouble and back on the rails, most Saturday's.

The D, I could almost cry. The pendulum swings and cuts us again. Muschamp masturbating over his D to the neglect of the O, and now, Mac is out chasing his shadow on O while our once vaunted D looks kind of small and too gentile. Youth abounds and about a half dozen <ahem!> studs, but our D needs more headhunters and wrecking balls.

Pretty disappointed in the showing after a week of practice, and after all, it was the corn dogs. I mean it was a descent fight as always, but we could of taken this one with the right leadership vibe and mission. I'm sure a squad worth of players absent/suspended plays into it, but there are weapons to use. Nuss plays them like dealing cards instead of attacking mismatches, playing the hot hand until stopped, choreography for the lord's sake Nuss. Back to our D, recruiting emphasis is an equal partner to your trial efforts Mac.

Finally, when listening to Mac's coach speak and body language, it does not exude confidence and authority. Among kids, this is not usually a formula for achieving above and beyond moments. It's starting to get a little too paternal and the kids don't listen anymore for me. So, I'm in the cut Mac (and presumably Nuss) from the active roster.

Go Gators!
Good to read your post, from a guy from the same era! A lot to agree with. The QB and the OC should be in harmony, but it appears to be like a Jr. High garage band instead TP and the Heartbreakers, which, metaphorically speaking, we were once given and now can only wish for and dream about it would seem.

Likewise about the D. Once our strength, even in this lean decade, is suddenly a liability. Head hunters and wrecking balls may apply within!

Agreed about Mac. I think he loves them, but can't get in that @ss when needed. As you say, the kids will eventually see through that.

There are no words to assuage the feelings on Sunday morning after a loss. There is no magic phrase to ease the pissedoffness. It is what it is. Our team is a shell of a complete team. We have talent but injuries and suspensions has gutted it. We also have players that do not quit.............
74353767_04c2efc838.jpg
the bycchh is back........(I even got the orange and blue in there)
..."Stone cold sober, as a matter of fact!"

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
People keep saying they are managing FF and have him in "training wheels". What I want to know is what does this putrid offense look like when its supposedly "wide open"? I doubt seriously anything changes if and when we end up with better talent. Its a coaching issue more than anything and talent is going to waste.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
C2, I really have no more to say about Butters. I was done on that first series, when on 4th down and 2 yards to go, on your own 40yd. line, no sane coach is going to go for it there, so why would you burn a timeout and then go ahead and punt. Just punt the damn ball and try to flip the field. it does not matter that losing that timeout did not haunt us, it is the process by which Butters goes about his managing of the game or lack thereof. Fourth game in a row he has made a colossal, moronic mistake in simple game management.

That loss of a timeout did hurt us. At the end of the half when we were on our own 40 or so and Mac is OUT of timeouts. He elected to just let the clock run out and go into the locker room. We may have the biggest legged kicker in the country! All we needed was 15 or so yards to al least give him a shot!

He'll Mac was probably worried it'd be blocked and return for a TD... so screw it! Why go for it, right!?! Playing "not to loose" is playing "not to win". Mac has no killer instinct! And piss poor clock management to boot...

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Dejection, sadness, not even anger. Are suspensions really killing us or or the coaches, well Rex Tillerson said it best. I don't think there were suspensions last year. Has the Team adopted Mac's demeanor?

The vaunted Florida Defense that in my opinion has been much better than the offense over the decades has slowly been dissolving into mediocrity. No recruiting, poor development, no strength/toughness put into bad situations. Like with any team, some guys play lights out, others play every now and then. I think Duke is still playing hurt as he has not been the same. Gardner really stepped up his tackling technique running through guys. Year two of not setting edges, is this on the DE or the lack of LB? DE still have not learned to pause at the line looking for the ball carrier before rushing up field. Jet sweep guys. But LSU's timing was pretty darn good.

The offense is the same as last year with a bit better running. We are still not good enough at any blocking to take a team to the shed, and I am astounded that we do not run more misdirection etc to help the line out. We know we will have trouble going deep, but we don't seem to run plays to make up for that. No crisp routes, rubs etc designed to take advantage of a defense. Hell we still can't get plays in under 30 seconds...smh. If our TE can't block and we don't throw to them, put more lineman or fullback in. We never seem to run a numbers game and just pick a play, maybe they are over thinking EVERYTHING and trying to psychoanalize the defense.

Why do we always put Toney in on 2 and long to get a manageable down for Franks, if he is good enough for that.....Franks seemed to be throwing rainbows on several yesterday don't know why. We need something to establish tempo and rhythm and just running won't cut it because if we get stuffed on one play then it is punting time.

A lot of flack on Townsend, but come on we had a few other dropped ints, etc along with a ton of chances to win, we didn't take them. The refs, come on guys, we sucked

Going to be a long year

Go Gators and thank you C2

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Comparing Butters N Nuss to Matt Canada is like comparing tricycle to a 911.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Say what you will about Gary Danielson, he was spot on about how important the fundamentals were to the success of the last scoring drive. Perine and Davis were part of that but when it appeared that they could take control of the game, Nuss reverted to his bag of tricks. In that vein, the passing game is still a coin flip. The things that work are underemployed. (I think I can count on one hand the number of slants that were called.) Receivers don’t seem to have a feel for the routes. Franks still isn’t an effective reader. In fact I’d swear the kid’s head’s fused to his spine. It’s obvious that he locks on his primary receiver and doesn’t let go.

The Defense is also unsound on the fundamentals. Open field tackling is horrible. Staying at home/setting the edge? Ditto. It’s hard to say anything about the secondary because the LSU passing game was such a doppelgänger.

In fact to be totally fair to LSU, this was a hot garbage contest in every phase of the game. Right down to the officiating.

Rhetorical question: who is responsible for instilling basic football knowledge/skills? And why isn’t that happening in year 3?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People keep saying they are managing FF and have him in "training wheels". What I want to know is what does this putrid offense look like when its supposedly "wide open"? I doubt seriously anything changes if and when we end up with better talent. Its a coaching issue more than anything and talent is going to waste.
There is no Wide Open version of Butters N Nuss. He just means that Butters N Nuss insist on ultraconservative take no risks take a knee offense.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know that any of us know what this O would look like full bore. I think in Mac's minds eye it should look like Bama when he was the OC...serviceable QB, punishing run game, control the clock and TOP, throw it just enough so people know you can, rely on a smothering D. Well guess what? We don't have quite the same tools and an overly-cautious nature and seeming lack of preparation and attention to details like solid fundamentals has us where we are. I made a statement about taking off the training wheels for Franks in another thread and I think what he is allowed to do and how he is being coached will never allow us to see if he can grow above where he is now. Of course our receivers sans Cleveland don't help, but our current offensive philosophy is 50/50 against weaker teams and without the other teams' catastrophes, the odds are greatly diminished if not nil against the better ones. UGA has a chance to pull our pants down and chase us around the school yard barring something bizarre happening. TAMU might carve us up some, too. If yesterday wasn't a signal to our staff, then I don't know what to say. I'm just afraid the rally cry will be "if we'd just made that extra point...!"

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The game management stood out to me yesterday a lot as well as curious play calling in critical times. My biggest question yesterday is why didn't we go for it on 4 and 1 when we around the 50 after Swain's mistake. Line Davis up and get a yard just like the two previous games.

The other things that stand out is they have on idea how to get Tony the ball unless it's the wildcat. He should be lining up at every position out there with designed plays for each one. Davis is by far the best back, but at least appears to now be 2 on the chart at least. our TE's need to go on the back of a milk carton.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Athletically he has what it takes, but the book on him was that he would require a lot of coaching on the finer points of being a successful QB, not the least of which was reading route progressions and instinctively knowing what most likely will be open on the pre-snap reads. This part of the game is still too fast for him. Rumor is that he didn't prepare himself as well as he should have in the off season and this could well be a big part of why he is not as complete a QB as he should be in year two. I think he has an upside, but it is not as quick to appear as consistently as we need. Our young receivers don't help him much, either IMO. I think part of the plan offensively is to rely on the run and give him a lot of simple pass plays to execute (WR and RB screens, to name a couple). A point was made that we often don't do well on 2nd down in terms of getting us a third and short, which ratchets up the pressure on his still forming football brain. But he's the horse we've got to ride. Zaire ain't the answer. I think there's got to be more the coaches should be able to do in terms of his development and in the game plan, but position group inconsistencies and puzzling personnel and play sequencing decisions only compound matters IMO.

Kaboom! Anyone wishing a quick read on Florida's offensive woes needs to read this post, like now. It nails it.

Mac can't recruit, he can't develop, he's innately afraid to take chances, he's got key people out, and so he's bailed.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I agree Rex. But the guy's got himself in this position due to both recruitment and an inconsistent and often impotent offensive scheme. The fact that the D is far less than what we have had doesn't help things. We desperately need continuity from the HBC, but Mac isn't exactly engendering confidence that he will provide that.
It wasn't me...it is a copy and paste from a pumper.

Mac doesn't have what it takes in the SEC. He's a mid-major coach at best.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Put the cocktail, bong, pipe or straw down and back away from the table :lmao2: is that really you Rex. The thought took me by surprise. Yeah, the set back in recruiting + relationship building at risk, but I don't know if this leadership group can coach said increase talent cohesively. We are in a conundrum. :fistbump:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The pvssy afraid of offense isnt Nusschump, it is Butters. Nusschump is a product of Butters incompetence.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I would add that in general Franks had time back there. I think he locks up on presnap reads and if that isn't there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.