Bits & Pieces: Florida vs McNeese St

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Should’ve given a shout out to DC Austin Armstrong…

View attachment 61670

He’s obviously making a difference, but man does he look young (or I’m just old as hell)! Hope the chemistry keeps working and growing.
He's way better than the last guy. The improvement in tackling is evident in the first game and we have basically shut down both offenses we've played. The DBs were playing aggressive and at the receiver when the ball got there to break it up. Can't remember the last time that happened

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We looked a hell of a lot better this week, I just wonder how much of it depends on our o-line being able to manhandle a squad of smaller guys. Also maybe I’m just used to seeing AR throw balls with a vapor trail as they hiss through the air but most of Mertz’s passes seemed like floating ducks. The accuracy is there but I’m thinking faster defenses are going to step in front of many of those throws. Am I a crazy Debbie-downer?

The defense is finally fun to watch again. Gonna have a few growing pains due to youth but this will be a special group going forward into next year and the year after.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We looked a hell of a lot better this week, I just wonder how much of it depends on our o-line being able to manhandle a squad of smaller guys. Also maybe I’m just used to seeing AR throw balls with a vapor trail as they hiss through the air but most of Mertz’s passes seemed like floating ducks. The accuracy is there but I’m thinking faster defenses are going to step in front of many of those throws. Am I a crazy Debbie-downer?

The defense is finally fun to watch again. Gonna have a few growing pains due to youth but this will be a special group going forward into next year and the year after.
Yes, but in a loving way…

1694358456696.gif

Seriously, the vibe on Mertz’s throws are a bit more sedate, but through two games there’s been no signs of disinterest from him. But hey, I like a good underdog story and not sure how he is outside of football, but his arm and athleticism strike me as a little Wuerffel-esque, which I’d gladly take at this point.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Little Sunday funny as we enjoy the victory, discuss, and look forward to UT…

At church, the missus brought Tebow’s book “Shaken” and the accompanying Bible study we had at home since we are looking for a new one. Of course, one Nole family member piped up and said why didn’t we look for a Nole-themed study? My reply was that I’d be interested in one by Jameis Winston if he could find it. Even the other Noles had to laugh.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

View attachment 61670

He’s obviously making a difference, but man does he look young (or I’m just old as hell)! Hope the chemistry keeps working and growing.
The guy has energy and you can tell the players like him and they are playing hard for him. So far he is a huge upgrade from the last scoundrel.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
There were positives, with the top two being (1)the defense looking better schematically and tackling-wise and (2) that the opposite did not happen, ie that we were not stopped by McNeese. That would have been a disaster.

But otherwise, this Cover episode title could have been “How to make 49 points astoundingly boring.”

Unfortunately, after this many games with Napier, we can see as Cover observes this is the offensive ideal for Billy. I think he was holding back sideline orgasms from the way we won. Control the ball and clock through the running game, very short passing concepts, and take 1 deep shot a quarter if possible.

Importantly, we only had 4 penalties for 20 yards and had virtually no negative yard plays. Well, get a holding penalty because the defenders are better, or a SEC level defender makes a play to back us up even a bit and we will struggle to get first downs because there are so few intermediate passing concepts. Aside - I think Billy was pissed that Browne passed on the two earlier open receivers shorter (flat and about 7 yards) to hit Mizell on the flood concept they ran.

Also, I don’t believe this was keeping it simple for Tennessee. If that was the case, you hold back on Wilson a bit more rather than making him a focus and blowing a good and simple trick play against McNeese. But, if we are engaging Wilson more, do 90% plus need to be behind the line? Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes in this offense.

Some disagreed with me about Mertz not playing well against Utah. Fine, but not good. He played better yesterday with no pressure. But, he is also capped by what we are running.

Since tenercee is at home, we should get less false starts and holding penalties. Still think we win that and they are not legit. But, some lesser team road games I thought we’d sneak by may be lopsided losses if the OL does not drastically improve from what we saw in the only road game. McNeese didn’t really address that, but again, the possibility for worse was there and we executed.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
My concern will continue to be our passing game until proven otherwise. Mertz isn't being asked to do much. 8 throws were past five yards last night and only 4 were completed. One of the things we really struggled with was Pass Pro against Utah and you could and should have used some of last nights game to work more on that. Instead we just lined up and bullied them. That's fine and an all, won't complain with a win but what happens when UT comes to town and plays everything within the box and up on the receivers?

We aren't going to be able to line up and bully SEC teams, going to have to throw the ball downfield and I'm not sure we have the QB or offense/route combos to do that.

We're going to find out a lot more next week and I'm not going to be down about winning this weekend but I'm not going to beat my chest over beating a team that Tarelton St put up 52 on a week before

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The guy has energy and you can tell the players like him and they are playing hard for him. So far he is a huge upgrade from the last scoundrel.
Yeah... his "mic'd up" practice clip was good. he's a leader, you can see him constantly going to everyone, every position, and talking people up

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I only saw a few completions past the line of scrimmage. That's definitely not gonna make Tennessee rethink trotting out a defense with an 8 man box. Mertz did what he was asked for sure and I think the kid knows where to go with the football . But our offensive game plan did not do anything that was gonna help set us up for success in the SEC. The way we scored isn't gonna translate.
On a positive note, it's good to see our defense play pretty much flawless and there's zero drop off between all the freshmen that played in the 2nd half vs the starters. Also was good to see Tennessee struggle with Austin Peay. Definitely a must win game for us next week.

Last edited:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

View attachment 61670
Look at that punum. So precious.

Last season we ran the ball exceptionally well until we played Tennessee. They clogged the LOS and we could not run. Why would next week be any different? Who expects Billy to outsmart Tennessee, whose staff will have that same plan- STOP THE RUN. Unless we are able to routinely hit intermediate passes, why would Tennessee move back from the LOS? Billy IS run first. Stop the run and first and second down then they shift to pass defense on third and five.

Napier's concepts seem so unimaginative and he seems like a play caller that gets stumped if his base idea- run the ball- falls short. Last night is an illusion- we couldn't run against Utah but that is solved now. Napier, to our knowledge and from games so far, has little beyond his base offense, nothing that impresses and makes observers think "wow, that was a great call". The guy is the antitheses of of Spurrier concepts and like someone said, we have slow TEs. I don't know what my perceptions mean, but I think Tennessee is going to come in with a plan and Billy, being a hard headed middlein offensive mind, is going to play along with them, because, he has something to prove- his "system" works.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Look at that punum. So precious.

Last season we ran the ball exceptionally well until we played Tennessee. They clogged the LOS and we could not run. Why would next week be any different? Who expects Billy to outsmart Tennessee, whose staff will have that same plan- STOP THE RUN. Unless we are able to routinely hit intermediate passes, why would Tennessee move back from the LOS? Billy IS run first. Stop the run and first and second down then they shift to pass defense on third and five.

Napier's concepts seem so unimaginative and he seems like a play caller that gets stumped if his base idea- run the ball- falls short. Last night is an illusion- we couldn't run against Utah but that is solved now. Look out Tennessee, Napier, to our knowledge and from games so far, has nothing in the tank, no plays to call, nothing that impresses and makes observers think "wow, that was a great call". The guy is the antitheses of of Spurrier concepts and like someone said, we have slow TEs. I don't know what my perceptions mean, but I think Tennessee is going to come in with a plan and Billy, being a hard headed middlein offensive mind, is going to play along with them, because, he has something to prove- his "system" works.
Billy mixed things up pretty well last night. Will it work next week? We shall see.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Lunch with Cover, Stayed up and watched Aub beat Cal. (Pac 12s first loss)
Was a fun night in the SWAMP that was desperately needed for this young team and its fans.
Were a week away from knowing what we really have with this team. I believe we will be smiling again next week reading Coffee with Cover.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My thoughts from watching last night:

1. The discipline from the defense is night and day compared to last year. Did Toney take lessons on stealing salary from Mullen and McElwain? What was he doing all last season? Props to the new DC and it is even more impressive considering how many freshman are playing.

2. We need Eguakun back something fierce. Slaughter just doesn't play strong at all. It won't happen this season, but hopefully someone takes his job. We are in trouble when we start playing SEC teams if he is the starter.

3. I have no access to the all 22. I don't know if this is Mertz refusing to throw downfield or that no one is open. To me, he seems to be the perfect captain check down. AR threw downfield. He rarely hit any of them but he attempted it. Mertz seems to not want to even to the point CBN called a downfield play just to force Mertz into an attempt. We will struggle if Mertz insists on always throwing short.

4. Screw Mullen for leaving us so little depth on the o-line.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good as always, cover.

Lots of relative positives to be taken from the game. As I said after Utah, we’re at least in position to make plays on defense and have mostly made them. Big step forward from late 2019-2022.

To critique a bit, I thought we kind of wasted an opportunity to get more reps for Mizell and Jean. It seems like we feel only Burke and Pearsall are deep threats, but it would be nice to see one of those get more reps to see what they do in real game settings. I love that Wilson is already a staple. I’d just like to see the other two more involved in the deep passing game.

Also not sure what the plan is with Brown. Miller is constantly hurt and terrible when healthy. Mertz is clearly the guy and I’m good with that. But we’re also one play away from needing the next guy which is Brown, by a long shot. Giving him a series is nice, but he throws a solid pass and then we go to Leon, who isn’t an actual option. MB needs reps badly. And if getting the walkon playing time is so important then go more aggressive early so we are playing reserves basically the whole second half.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm ok with the short routes and an occasional deep one. Take what's there, keep the ball, keep moving the ball, burn clock and let the obviously better D stay fresh. All this, especially early in the season with these newbies and babies. It's not a bad formula and as we improve, do more. Trying to do things we aren't ready for probably risks ball security.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator