Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Michigan

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by cover2, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Gatormac2112

Gatormac2112 The Voice of Reason
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $37
    Ratings:
    +754 / -0
    We were playing against a defense that had no returning starters and couldn't manage 200 yards or more than 3 points. The O-line was horrid, WRs couldn't get open and the play calling was stale. Franks is better than Zaire IMO, he really didn't play so bad, although he didn't go through progressions, tried to hit a deep pass that was covered instead of hitting two open receivers in his line of sight, and of course the fumble. Zaire was like Treon revisited IMO.

The defense was soft up front, LBs slow to the edges, and CBs out of position deep. Outside of 2 pick sixes they were almost as bad as the offense.

The special teams were just, meh. Remember when we expected big plays on special teams? Yeah, those days are a distant memory. Nothing special here, not even Piniero.

Michigan came out and looked like a team executing a plan, they weren't perfect, but they had an identity and knew what they were doing. We on the other hand looked like we were trying to figure out who we were and what we were capable of. No identity. We were calling plays just hoping something would work. We don't attack defenses, we just hope something works now.

From my seats it looked like there were more Gators than UM fans, and we were plenty loud early. As the Gators waned on the field, Gator fans started sitting on their hands and many left early.

Offense: F
    Defense: F
    Special Teams: C-
    Coaching: F-
    Fans: C-

Total Grade: F

2. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    Thanks TN. Game one and as disgusting as it was, there remains a chance for improvement. We'll see. As for offensive adjustments, I've pretty much given up on them. You mentioned Michigan stacking the box in run situations. Adding a TE or FB might help if we are hell-bent on running against that, but I've wondered for the past two years and one game now why we don't have an audible prepared in these situations? For example, we had a 3rd and 3 against an 8 man box, lined up with 4 wide and tried to run it. We'd had no success against this all night. Seems to me that an audible to a pass to the hot route (3 covering 4) would be reasonable?

At this point, I really don't think the staff, Mac and Nuss in particular, can realistically assess how we match up with the opposition position by position during preparations and game-planning. A poster in another thread stated that Mac "looks at trash and sees treasure!" I am not inclined to disagree.

3. FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $81
    Ratings:
    +1,329 / -33
    Wow C2, you really had to dig deep to get more than 2 sentences from this performance. No matter the opponent, if you are an average D1 team, you should be able to rush for 60 or 70 yards. We are officially a joke, no other way to put it. Can't even play basic football!

4. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    A joke, but none of the faithful are laughing.

5. GatorStud

GatorStud Wait 'till Next Year
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $41
    Ratings:
    +1,881 / -6
  6. BMF

BMF Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $286
    Ratings:
    +5,696 / -73
    Did someone just say OWNED and DESTROYED?

7. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,507
    Ratings:
    +24,454 / -504
    That's really all you needed to say, although i think of it as Same Shyt, Year Six. (Saban's flunkies are all the same to me.)

8. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $122
    Ratings:
    +4,492 / -200
    Malik Davis - 1 carry for eight yards and then he never touched the rock again.

Helen Keller could game plan better than our guys.

9. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    Not a fan of the committee system? Me neither!

Helen Keller was blind, not "dumb!" :)

10. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Stop steaming up my tail!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,507
    Ratings:
    +24,454 / -504
    Do we even have a FB? i dont think so. A blocking TE instead of the undersized receiver hybrids? Nope.

Its so weird that the roster just doesnt match what he is wanting to do, which IMO is be Bammer and have some more 6-9 games.

I dont evenwant to talk about the DL and inside back roster situation. These guys make millions a year and that cant read the depth chart and roster? Why are we tye only team that cant find DTs and ILB?

11. Fishon

Fishon Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $24
    Ratings:
    +583 / -13
    Can't disagree with a single word

12. gators4224

gators4224 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $1
    Ratings:
    +447 / -37
    SPOT ON! I think its pretty clear Mac wanted to establish a running game, and yet he never USES power running formations i.e. BIG inline TE and big FB. More simply, he tries to run but doesn't give himself the best ability to do so. IT MAKES NO SENSE! I dont know what it is but he seems to be VERY stubborn to change his ways.

13. G8trwood

G8trwood Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $27
    Ratings:
    +306 / -3
    This ^ add in very basic running formations.

14. Lake Gator

Lake Gator Money talks, Coaches walk.
    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
    $7
    Ratings:
    +1,842 / -18

Cover2, thanx for your insight.

Some questions and opinions:
    1. Do you think the abysmal play of OL was due to Michigan being bigger/faster, poor play-calling, poor OL coaching, all of the above or what?
    2. IMHO, Zaire was horrific. His ball security scrambiing is a fumble waiting to happen. Some of his throws were painful to watch. I understand he was intended as a change of pace but, good grief, three possessions worth of pace-changing was enough.
    3. Going forward Franks needs to be given the reins. Let him work on overcoming his rookie mistakes. I thought his play had some bright spots considering the duress he was under.
    4. Did we have any other catches by tight ends besides one late by Cyontai Lewis? Goolsby? The play-calling lacked imagination wrt to getting potential playmakers in space. Maybe easier said than done?
    5. Duke Dawson a bright spot? Rest of secondary needs game experience.
    6. DEs and outside LBs collapsing inside and losing contain is aggravating as h#ll. Until that is corrected the D will continue to get torched on cutbacks. They were bankrupt on money-downs giving up third and long first downs via the run.
    :chomp:

15. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $141
    Ratings:
    +2,915 / -1
    Thank you, Lake. Here's some opinions on your questions:
    1. All of the above. I'll add that they seem to have had a lot of smoke blown up their @sses by the staff given the way they responded when Michigan began punching them in the mouth from the get go. Actually, they didn't appear to know how to respond in a masculine football manner, just bent over and took the spanking. I'll re-watch to check again, but getting no push on the runs and getting run past and run through in pass pro belies lack of strength and quickness that is exacerbated by poor posture (too high, loss of leverage) and lack of effort. Hard to believe we could be that unathletic across the whole line. Didn't see much of a mean streak in any of this group and this belies a lack of pride. Gonna be hard to manufacture at this point, I'm afraid.

2. Head-scratcher. Zaire did nothing to make any of us think he will be a positive change agent in an important game. His feet were no threat, as was hoped by several when he was acquired. As stated in the opener, he made a couple of nice throws that got us some first downs, but that was about it. Unfortunately, the early book on him is that, as a poster in another thread opined, he is a better-behaved version of Treon. Nice kid, but probably not that guy to take us higher.

3. Agreed. We gained nothing with the switch and might have hurt Frank's mentally. Hope not, but we can only know if he's the guy at the start in the next games. I'm even more inclined to think Mac finally naming Frank's as the starter was to get the suspension heat off of his @ss. As a HBC, he hasn't shown himself to be very tough, and I think most of the players adapt their on-field behaviors and attitudes likewise. We have a few tough ones, but obviously not enough. Alright, I'm digressing here :)

4. Not that I can recall. As for the play calling, lack of imagination has been a 2 year plus theme around here. But to be fair, when the QB is running from his life on most pass plays, and he is in his first start, he's not seeing open receivers even if they are there.

5. Duke's a player and not only an expected leader, but probably the best we've got right now. Gardner's gonna be a good one as he matures (hope his injury isn't too serious) and several of the young will only get better with experience, as I think they are physically talented. We miss Marcel. I'm gonna call out Henderson a bit after seeing him ole #32 on a running play. He wanted no part of the tackle. Got to be more than just a fast cover guy.

6. Agreed absolutely! Nuff said.

#35 cover2, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  16. Tunaboat

Tunaboat Sling it Franks
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $33
    Ratings:
    +808 / -1
    Great analysis by all. Trying to find something good to take away from this latest Mac meltdown - another world-class embarrassment by this terrible staff - is like looking for an oasis in the Sahara desert. Franks gave a good effort. Line play - team strength - seriously? Is Mac just too dumb to realize that his hype will be shown for the false hope that it is, and what's left of his credibility then goes up in smoke?

This team will never get anywhere being led by these apparently unskilled coaches. Same garbage we saw in game 1 in 2015. Mac's stupid stare from the sidelines while getting schooled by the opposing coach, no halftime adjustments, no plan to exploit opponent weaknesses, no real plan to win. Next Saturday we will all be able to call the plays before they happen and be treated to Mac's clueless stare from the sidelines, again. At least we should get a win over whatever cupcake we're paying to come to the Swamp.

I can see this team losing to KY, Vandy and the chimp. Blowouts by the really good teams. On the brighter side, Atlanta will not be another embarrassment this year.

:eek:

17. RocketCityGator

RocketCityGator Junior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $59
    Ratings:
    +769 / -44
    Sad thing is that getting to a crappy bowl game may be difficult.

18. gatormandan

gatormandan We wont suck long..
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $169
    Ratings:
    +4,677 / -150
    The bad far outweighs the good. The few "positives" just arent enough to give me any hope. Mac and crew are in over their heads and they are not smart enough to win consistently. Our offense is vanilla and every team we play contains us. Nuss sucks balls and has zero creativity. All the talk about getting our play makers involved is nonsense. We still suck and nothing has changed. Its time to scrap this experiment.

19. gatormandan

gatormandan We wont suck long..
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $169
    Ratings:
    +4,677 / -150
    I dont want to go to a bowl game and have another Ga southern situation on national TV.

20. '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $819
    Ratings:
    +6,653 / -63
    First of all, I hope you're doing well, cover. I think about you and what you're going through, and I wish you continued progress.

As to the game, I found interest in your assessment of our defensive ends falling in on the rush, thus allowing Michigan to run wide, which they did with remarkable effectiveness. I thought the ends got great penetration all day while the tackles were marginalized, however, I think Michigan outschemed us by allowing our quick ends to commit, then blocking them inside. I saw it as great scheming by their OL coach.