Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • B

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • C

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Absolutely. Guy's doing what he has to in order to survive and live to fight another down. Not ideal, but again only growth and more talent will cure this.

Cover, a few (including me) joked that this win happened in large part due to muschamp going full muschamp like he often does in the 4th. How much would you say the comeback involved our gritty determination on O and D vs chump handing us the game? I’d like to believe it’s more about our effort, but I might have O&B glasses on.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, a few (including me) joked that this win happened in large part due to muschamp going full muschamp like he often does in the 4th. How much would you say the comeback involved our gritty determination on O and D vs chump handing us the game? I’d like to believe it’s more about our effort, but I might have O&B glasses on.
CG I think Muschamp going old school cook book was a factor. He was definitely trying to shorten the game with their lead, but I think you have to give more credit to the resolve we showed in the second half. This whole season has been taking several steps forward and then a few back. Part is the staff change and Mullen's commitment to changing the culture, but I think another falls at the feet of the players as many are struggling to unlearn what they were previously exposed to and many haven't sorted it all out yet. We all knew or at least should have that this season was going to be a pretty big project with a lot of editing along the way. Still think we were able to find something we either lost or haven't had much of lately in the second half.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This is bullshyt.

We have safeties on the sideline but they are insistent on playing Stiner and Taylor. Those two are sunbelt conference trash and will never get better. yes today they might be ever so slightly better at knowing the Playbook or having some game experience, but just like Trey at CB, the talented freshman will quickly be better than untalented upperclassmen..... if we put them on the field. Stiner and Taylor will never get any better.

While I agree with your assessment I still am happy that the chump is no longer on our sidelines and will never be there again. I still don't like Grantham but will take him all day long over the chimp. I hope the chimp fails miserably.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

That’s exactly what I don’t understand. When you consider where we have struggled, at safety and corner, it seems moving gardener to one of those spots and perhaps moving Dean to safety would improve the defense overall if Burney could handle the nickel/star role. In addition to helping against the pass, you’d think Burney’s game would be an improvement against the run as well.

Maybe it wouldn’t play out that way, and he couldn’t handle it, but with as much as we’ve rotated at safety it surprises me they haven’t even tried it.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree about the imbalance at Safety and the LB deficits. I'm undecided on just how much is on the coaching and how much is what they are working with. I think back to Shannon last year and what he was trying to do with the secondary. They struggled with some of the harder zone schemes, which is sort of to be expected with younger players, but the man stuff was hard for them too. I don't think the guys coming back brought a lot with them from last year. In that case, the onus is on the coaches to simplify first and rep hard along with a lot of attention to technique and formation/route recognition. Take a building block approach if you will. The cream should rise and maybe it has. If that's the case, we better get some talent in bulk. If not, a new position commander is in order. Which is it? One or the other or some of both? At this point I'm leaning toward the latter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So, what happens w/ Joseph and Stiner? Do they start next week (or vs. FSU)? Those two have become HUGE liabilities.

Agree on Mullen "crawfishing" the crowd comments from last week.

Does anyone know if Banks started in place of Fred? I watched at a bar and missed the line-up and really couldn't tell due to the camera angels (and the beers!).

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
So, what happens w/ Joseph and Stiner? Do they start next week (or vs. FSU)? Those two have become HUGE liabilities.

Agree on Mullen "crawfishing" the crowd comments from last week.

Does anyone know if Banks started in place of Fred? I watched at a bar and missed the line-up and really couldn't tell due to the camera angels (and the beers!).

I believe Fred started. Only OL I saw who wasnt a starter was Forsythe

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't know what to say about the defense...we may better off playing 5DB's and moving VJ around the LOS as a designated blitzer….it's not like we know how to cover a TE anyway.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
True but were getting killed by teams running on the edge too. In fact a lot of posters on here are saying Muschamp screwed himself by not continuing to pass yesterday but in reality they just ran at the middle of our defense when they were having huge success running to the outside earlier in the game... the same as Mizzou and UGA when they weren't throwing over the LBer's heads. I'd rather let him(VJ) just try and disrupt some plays at or behind the LOS than watch him run in circles with his back to the QB and still not get within 12-15 yards of covering ANYONE.....

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
True but were getting killed by teams running on the edge too. In fact a lot of posters on here are saying Muschamp screwed himself by not continuing to pass yesterday but in reality they just ran at the middle of our defense when they were having huge success running to the outside earlier in the game... the same as Mizzou and UGA when they weren't throwing over the LBer's heads. I'd rather let him(VJ) just try and disrupt some plays at or behind the LOS than watch him run in circles with his back to the QB and still not get within 12-15 yards of covering ANYONE.....

Man, you're not kidding. We could not set the edge at all. SC had success on the middle with draws on downs we didn't expect the run, but otherwise they were really taking it to us on running plays that got our guys walled off inside. Only chimp would go away from a winning formula.

Part of the problem there and with passing downs is that our safeties take absolutely atrocious angles when trying to tackle or defend passes. Case in point: the long runs and Debo's near TD on the long catch and run. That crap has got to get cleaned up going into next season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Man, you're not kidding. We could not set the edge at all.
You just aren't going to set the edge with 240 lb "defensive ends" (who are really just slow linebackers) versus 310 pound SEC linemen. It's just simple math. You can't give up 60-80 pounds and expect to win those battles.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You just aren't going to set the edge with 240 lb "defensive ends" (who are really just slow linebackers) versus 310 pound SEC linemen. It's just simple math. You can't give up 60-80 pounds and expect to win those battles.
Yeah, sure would like to have Pickering or the equivalent in this class.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure seemed like our offense came alive after Toney started getting touches. He got stuffed once on a wildcat, and he muffed that punt, but I think every other time he touched the ball it was a nice if not great play.

leogator

May 5, 2018
That's why the DE have to disengage from the block quickly, forcing the OL to obviously hold. The other is to hold back and shoot the gap. Going Mano a Mano with an OL is stupid.

BTW we need to teach our DL to sell the hold so they can get the call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.