Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • B

Votes: 54 47.0%
  • C

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • D

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure seemed like our offense came alive after Toney started getting touches. He got stuffed once on a wildcat, and he muffed that punt, but I think every other time he touched the ball it was a nice if not great play.

Mullen said during his postgame he had been making a mistake not force feeding Toney more through out the season. Sounds like part of it is getting to know and trust his players like Toney who don't play as it's schemed, but as their natural ability reacts.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Excellent recap and read C2. Glad your trip was good and perhaps you were the reason for the W. Be that as it may, I respond with questions regarding coaching, players, process, etc. and not from an end results position. you mentioned the inability to cover a TE, HB, FB, or whoever the hell was running free without a player within 10 miles of him scoring TD's with ease. I know how lacking we are in talent at all levels of the D, but their is a difference in lack of talent and not knowing your assignment. How is it that every week, we have multitude of plays where guys are running free? You might not make the play, but you can at least know where you are supposed to be and who is your responsibility. I lay this right at the feet of Joe Lee Dunn Jr and Cousin Eddie. Then on the 3rd TD drive of the first half by USCe, they converted not ONE, but TWO 3rd down and 7 yds. to go by running the simplest dive play b/c the defense was in an alignment that was so Joe Lee Dunn-esque. So the first half was a complete SHYT-SHOW by the D. We then start a drive on the 1st possession of the 2nd half with a 30yd. run by Scarlett giving us 1st and 10 at the USCe 20 yd. line. Cousin Eddie then calls 3 consecutive pass plays, which then resulted in a missed. FG. Not Coaches fault for missed FG, but why would you go pass, pass, pass after just ripping off a 30 yd run, when your QB sux in the passing game? That is my biggest issue with Cousin Eddie as I view that as game management. We have ZERO vertical passing game and I don't mean long passes, I mean anything forward and not sideways. Our opponents don't need any help by us doing things we can control, b/c we have enough physical deficiencies already.

Anyway, great read and always nice to see a more x's and o's read versus a we won we are great or we lost and we suck recap. thanx as always C2.

You mention the "non-vertical" passing game, as well as the QB who goes through periods when he couldn't throw it in the frickin' ocean. I guess it remains to be seen what DM will do, if and when he ever has a QB with some touch and at least reasonably decent accuracy. It sure as hell isn't FF - not bashing, just telling it like it is. Even Trask managed to hit a few at "moderate" range, but even that was not exactly an impressive display of "field-stretching." I do understand that the dink and dunk is a constituent part of the RPO, but even so, it provides some opportunity for the 15-20 yard routes that we apparently don't trust FF to execute. Maybe the happy day will come when the offense won't have to be lobotomized to accommodate a QB who can't be relied on to be consistently on time and on target. Perhaps I'm just whistling past the "ain't gonna happen graveyard." Time will tell.

This defense is crap. Sub-par talent and highly suspect coaching abound. This foolishness about starters not knowing their assignments well enough to line up in the correct spots is infuriating. If a LB can't play effectively in pass coverage, he shouldn't be on the field. What UG, UM and SC did to us across the middle, particularly with TEs is a major part of the current late-season slide we have come to expect with this roster. I know the talent at LB and safety isn't great and we've had some key injuries, but good coaching can make adjustments to minimize the damage. And prior to the benching of Joseph, I saw no move to stop the bleeding. I sincerely hope that Grantham isn't the undoing of the latest attempt to hit the reset button. But if DM sticks with him the way the previous regime stuck with Nussflop, he may very well suffer the same fate. I hope not, but again, time will tell.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
I sincerely hope that Grantham isn't the undoing of the latest attempt to hit the reset button. But if DM sticks with him the way the previous regime stuck with Nussflop, he may very well suffer the same fate. I hope not, but again, time will tell.

Teryl Austin is available. I’d gladly take him over Grantham, even with his (Austin) recent struggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.