Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Texas A&M

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watching some of the replay this morning before heading to work. Have to comment again on how good Bryan looked. Unblockable at times. Rest of D was ok, but seeing the drops mentioned that helped us. Ineligible receiver negated a TD to an uncovered TE. Again, Monds getting loose hurt us, but a mostly impotent O couldn't close the deal. If Franks doesn't break the big run, we finish with 10. The call to Massey may be one of the better ones we've had in some time.

Seeing a couple of shots of Mac on the sideline only reinforces the feel and the notion of his disengagement. As for coaching in-game, mostly looks likes some hugs and encouragement. Thought Burnett should have gotten more of a stern redirect after his penalty, but as was mentioned, we haven't seen any real fire since Kelvin Taylor. This ain't the Boy Scouts.

I'm not as worried about the coaches losing the kids as I am the kids losing the coaches. Not sure if all of them want to be here anymore. Shannon might be the best we've got right now.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Seeing a couple of shots of Mac on the sideline only reinforces the feel the notion of his disengagement. As for coaching in-game, mostly looks likes some hugs and encouragement. Thought Burnett should have gotten more of a stern redirect after his penalty, but as was mentioned, we haven't seen any real fire since Kelvin Taylor. This ain't the Boy Scouts.

I said the same thing Cover. I am beginning to wonder if he has backed off due to the current situation. Perhaps the incident with the "Knucklehead Nine" and the injuries, he's just trying to avoid a runaway locker room. But in the same token you can have fire to coach and also support your team at the same time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I said the same thing Cover. I am beginning to wonder if he has backed off due to the current situation. Perhaps the incident with the "Knucklehead Nine" and the injuries, he's just trying to avoid a runaway locker room. But in the same token you can have fire to coach and also support your team at the same time.
No doubt about it. Like the quote from an old movie...it can't all be "seashells and balloons!" If you don't step in that behind when called for, you get labeled as a pushover and even worse, you get treated like one.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how many read the Gator Sports news items in the ticker, but the one from the Sentinel's George Diaz goes along with the press moving toward calling it what it is as opposed to a lot of the fluff we've seen. Some notable statements and observations from the article:

"You got to understand this. I believe I can win with my dog Clarabelle,” Jim McElwain bragged in his first presser as coach of the University of Florida Gators. Ouch. It is an infamous “Oh, no he didn’t” moment etched in McElwain’s very spotty résumé as an “offensive guru.” Those quote marks and the shade come from me and just about anyone else who has seen McElwain’s offense sputter and play mostly like dog poop since 2015.

A six-game sample is plenty to make some definitive statements. The Gators offense is putrid and predictable, Feleipe Franks is the starter only because there’s no one on the bench who can challenge him, and the majority of the Florida fan base is fed up with McElwain.

“Guys played hard,” McElwain said. “They left it all out there.” Blah, blah, blah. McElwain’s words sounded scripted and predictable, much like his offense.

I think it's safe to say that Toto has finally pulled back the curtain for the press and the Great Oz is now exposed in print. Most of us fans saw the movie a year ago at least. There's your sign.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
*Davis is our best RB, especially when there is a little bit of blocking (which there was not on our next to the last drive as evidenced by him being stopped on consecutive runs). He made one cut that just undressed #17. Yet, Perine gets the start and early carries, only to give way to #20 :scratchhead:. Are we afraid Perine might transfer? Davis needs to be more involved at the beginning of the game IMO.

First, let's remember Perine likely wouldn't be a starter this year had Scarlett not used the credit card scam. I can't say which is a better back and more deserving of starting, I just have seen this staff operate, and I have no doubt Scarlett would have started and Perine would have been second. I can only hope Davis would have been recognized enough to get third string carries. My other two thoughts here is, given Perine is more experienced he would likely get the starting role and bulk of the carries (right or wrong, I see this staff leaning on experience over talent), and in the grasping at straws category perhaps they are using Perine to wear down defenses for Davis to take advantage. That last bit sounds like something our staff would say as an excuse, because it doesn't make sense - Davis is the more punishing, more demoralizing, back for a defense to face. Who gets tackled for a 3 yd gain vs who turns a 3 yd run into an 8 yd gain and falls forward? Davis should be wearing down a defense, not Perine, with the early carries.

He continues to not engage players at all during games, most glaringly Franks. He complemented Taylor on the pick and talked to Burnett after the double penalty. Otherwise, he continued his absentee coaching.

Again, I find myself trying to find some sense in this. Everyone wants to win like Saban, and I'm sure Mac is trying his own version of Saban ball, so let me ask this since I haven't watched Bama play much - how much does Saban engage players directly vs screaming through his headset for the coaches to address their respective players? I'm only guessing here that part of Mac's distant approach may be that Saban does that and he's trying to emulate a system that relies on chain of command and allowing (should be requiring, but it ain't) position coaches and coordinators to correct mistakes with player. However, even if this were true, if your staff isn't doing the job, you HAVE to get in the player's face and address the issues. In my heart, I think if Mac is relying on that chain of command, he's given too much opportunity and the staff haven't stepped up - and he either believes in infinite chances, or doesn't have the cojones to step in and address players directly. More than anything related to delegating to coaches, I truly believe Mac doesn't know what to say to the kids without coming off as a whiny btch "Why did you do that?" as opposed to "I understand what you saw and why you did that, here's what you need to look for and do".

Having said that, and as BAD as our offense is.... do you think having Calloway, Cleveland, toney, and dare I say even LDR (I would say scarlett but our RB's seem to be doing their part) would have attributed for more than the 2 points we lost by. I do. We play that exact game with those guys, and we'd had won.

I absolutely believe that if we had the talent on the team that was supposed to be here, we'd have won the last two games. But I'm ok with this current situation. Know why? Because if talent had won the last few games, it wold continue to mask the lack of coaching they are trying to overcome. At least now, the coaching is so exposed, there are no excuses and no benefit of the doubt...fact is, the coaches suck.

And another thing, it was obvious we missed Toney. But Dre Massey looked pretty good. He made something positive happen whenever he touched the ball. Why the hell didn't they give him a few more touches???

Ha! Perfect. You would think as we lose key playmakers, the remaining ones would have increased touches as opposed to less. But that, of course, is said with an expectation of competent coaching. Hell, I'm sure the other teams prepare for us and say "we only have to cover these two as opposed to watching for those 4-5 guys". And then come gametime, their staff is like "WTF? They won't even use the good players they have?!?!?!"

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
However, even if this were true, if your staff isn't doing the job, you HAVE to get in the player's face and address the issues. In my heart, I think if Mac is relying on that chain of command, he's given too much opportunity and the staff haven't stepped up - and he either believes in infinite chances, or doesn't have the cojones to step in and address players directly.

This is exactly the point. For instance, on the punt that lost the game, Mac said the plan was to punt away from Kirk and blamed Townsend for not following the plan. But, Townsend punted to Kirk several times earlier in the game, including the prior possession. Clearly then, Nord or whoever else wasn't getting the message across. If it is important (and it was), as the head coach you've got to go talk to Townsend. He didn't. Gators lost.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@TLB...as for how Saban handles the players in-game, I've seen him meet them coming off of the field and emphatically make not only corrections, but also his displeasure is made known to them! There's no beating around the bush or avoidance. Love him or hate him, his players have no doubt of the expectations and accountability he has for them.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2 is spot on about dodging a bullet with their formation penalty on the TE score. That is two in a row we have had a receiver run free that we dodged a bullet on. Also we caught a break on the 4th and 1 in the first half where Perine was stopped short. Only to be given another chance due to a clock issue. If I was Sumlin I would be absolutely irate there. The weakside toss where we gave the ball up on 3rd and one prior to giving up the lead is a prime example of why Nuss is a doofus. Why not use the wide side of the field there? Especially if you are trying to pull a guard in short yardage.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This is exactly the point. For instance, on the punt that lost the game, Mac said the plan was to punt away from Kirk and blamed Townsend for not following the plan. But, Townsend punted to Kirk several times earlier in the game, including the prior possession. Clearly then, Nord or whoever else wasn't getting the message across. If it is important (and it was), as the head coach you've got to go talk to Townsend. He didn't. Gators lost.

Or it is not truthful to say punt away, and a team with a coverage team does not care, they stop returns no matter what.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
@TLB...as for how Saban handles the players in-game, I've seen him meet them coming off of the field and emphatically make not only corrections, but also his displeasure is made known to them! There's no beating around the bush or avoidance. Love him or hate him, his players have no doubt of the expectations and accountability he has for them.

Yes and I bet it really does not matter when in the game it is, the score, or if the third string is in. One standard no matter what.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Zero reason to bring back mac. New blood is needed. Anyone that wants Mac to return for a 4th season is NOT a true Gator. UF>mac
Well, I guess it's wishful thinking that I'd hear some good news this morning. Absolutely no improvement in the play calling(Not that I expected any). Not understanding why Stricklin hasn't made any noise yet.

gatorbro1

Sep 10, 2017
I believe that Felipe Franks is a very talented but raw QB. Looks poorly coached, just like all of Muschamps's QBs look poorly coached. Coach Mac wants to run an Alabama offense without Alabama material, just like Muschamp. We won the East for two years on a defense that a great defensive Coach posing as a head coach won with. I lost faith in Mac when we beat Tennessee on the last play and Muschamp looked depressed. I don't know what his real problem is. Shannon sucks as a DC and was likely hired to recruit Nuss sucks as an OC and whoever the hell they have coaching special teams needs to sell used cars.Coach Mac seems to be uninvolved during the game. I wish him the best in the future and I hope something changes to help him at Florida.Gotta wonder why he did not take the redshirt off Franks last year and give him more game time experience but thats way in the past now but makes me wonder what the fascination was with Del Rio. He is as breakable as a light bulb and has an arm like a like a limp noodle. Wonder what would happen if we had let Will Grier hang around. I am still hoping for a shocking victory against Georgia this week but it will require some changes on offensive play calling and more blitzes on defense. Dought if either will happen. We hired a clone of Will Muschamp. Play your best guys on offense. If you do get a lead try to increase it. Make adjustments at half time. Hope springs eternal. Go Gators !

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I believe that Felipe Franks is a very talented but raw QB. Looks poorly coached, just like all of Muschamps's QBs look poorly coached. Coach Mac wants to run an Alabama offense without Alabama material, just like Muschamp. We won the East for two years on a defense that a great defensive Coach posing as a head coach won with. I lost faith in Mac when we beat Tennessee on the last play and Muschamp looked depressed. I don't know what his real problem is. Shannon sucks as a DC and was likely hired to recruit Nuss sucks as an OC and whoever the hell they have coaching special teams needs to sell used cars.Coach Mac seems to be uninvolved during the game. I wish him the best in the future and I hope something changes to help him at Florida.Gotta wonder why he did not take the redshirt off Franks last year and give him more game time experience but thats way in the past now but makes me wonder what the fascination was with Del Rio. He is as breakable as a light bulb and has an arm like a like a limp noodle. Wonder what would happen if we had let Will Grier hang around. I am still hoping for a shocking victory against Georgia this week but it will require some changes on offensive play calling and more blitzes on defense. Dought if either will happen. We hired a clone of Will Muschamp. Play your best guys on offense. If you do get a lead try to increase it. Make adjustments at half time. Hope springs eternal. Go Gators !

Hey, bro. Welcome!

I'm going to leave the same meme with you that my niece left on my Facebook page making fun of my picture.

this-is-every-profile-facebook-profile-picture-and-its-always-11764438.png

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Watching some of the replay this morning before heading to work. Have to comment again on how good Bryan looked. Unblockable at times. Rest of D was ok, but seeing the drops mentioned that helped us. Ineligible receiver negated a TD to an uncovered TE. Again, Monds getting loose hurt us, but a mostly impotent O couldn't close the deal. If Franks doesn't break the big run, we finish with 10. The call to Massey may be one of the better ones we've had in some time.

Seeing a couple of shots of Mac on the sideline only reinforces the feel and the notion of his disengagement. As for coaching in-game, mostly looks likes some hugs and encouragement. Thought Burnett should have gotten more of a stern redirect after his penalty, but as was mentioned, we haven't seen any real fire since Kelvin Taylor. This ain't the Boy Scouts.

I'm not as worried about the coaches losing the kids as I am the kids losing the coaches. Not sure if all of them want to be here anymore. Shannon might be the best we've got right now.

Get your old coaches shoes out, C2, and polish them up. Looks like there might be an opening!!!!!!:sohappy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.