Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good win and better performance by the good guys! Some improvements, which are to be expected by game 4, if not somewhat slower than anticipated. But before we start handing out t-shirts, it was Vandy...we should expect to beat them. Even though they made us look after defeating K State, Bama pulled off their contender costume. The key at this point, to me, is to continue to get better each game, which I think we've seen to a degree in the last two. Even though LSU isn't up to speed this year, you've got to think it'll likely be a battle. But again, keep improving and we have a positive outcome. Alright, let's talk specifics...

*We were able to generate more pressure from our front four. Heck, Shannon even dialed a little up with the LBs a time or two. He'll be growing a full fro next thing you know! Seriously, much better and Polite and Zuniga, among others seem to be rising. Sherit solid. Bryan generated a rush on an outside stunt, but he gets stood up and chicken fights too much when rushing the interior. I guess he's there for a middle screen, but really he's still raw, particularly in this area. CeCe had some good rushes as well. Rush D was better. Slaton got a shout from the commentators (more on them later) and we were generally consistent with the rush D.

* Joseph looked to have a more consistent game. Some good rush plays and passes defended. Some coaching and understanding seem to be going on and taking hold. Reese had a few good plays against the rush. Johnson was back. We got burned on a screen again and I can't help but feel part of the problem is that the LB's get caught too close to the LOS and are easy to seal. They could also be better in their under coverage on passes. QB and route recognition need to improve.

*Special Teams...Some better. Punting was ok. Saw some attention to hang time on short field punts, but coverage was better on the boomers. We shouldn't have a hang time concern on these punts IMO. If we've got a guy that can kick it 60, then we need to have guys who can get off the hold-ups and force the return guy to the middle if we don't tackle him. The middle lane guys have to be downfield in a hurry and not get held up, either. We were better. Townsend ain't exactly kicking line drives! Hustle and technique. Eddy was great on KOs, but his long FG attempt was a duck. Doesn't count against him, but I was expecting him to clear with 10 yds to spare! A note on punting...the Rugby style, employed by Vandy, is supposed to be a no return scheme. The guy takes about 5 steps on the roll, buying time for the gunners, and usually tries to kick a lower trajectory ball with hopes that it will be more difficult for the returner to field (and fair catch if executed properly in terms of coverage) and they can then take advantage of the tumble. They were pretty proficient, although Powell muffed a returnable punt.

*Not as many missed tackles, though two were very noticeable. Both by Chauncey. He got trucked twice and it will continue to happen as long as he stands flat-footed and waits on the back (or receiver) to meet him with a head of steam. Poor technique. To his credit though, he did have two pass break-ups, the last was a shot on the receiver from the hash.

*Secondary made a few plays (Henderson, Duke, etc.), but the Vandy guy carved us up to an extent when we didn't generate pressure. We aren't lockdown by any means, still get lost in coverage some, and make crazy reads (Washington flies the opposite way from the QB roll in the red zone when they hit the TE dragging...what the heck was he thinking?). Lot of work to do but potential is there.

*Usually not crazy about the RB by committee, but it was well-managed today. Perine had a big day and Davis was solid. Thompson had some good plays. He's pretty good receiving. 5 rushing TDs? I'll take it.

*OL was better, as evidenced by our ability to run. A few pass pro issues, but maybe they are gelling. Counter was a good play for us and the G blocks looked pretty decent. As they continue to improve, our chances to be more efficient offensively and to win obviously expand.

*Hate to see LDR injured, but Frank's came in and gave us what we needed. Strike to Cleveland was big, even though we settled for a FG. Not what we wanted, but given the field position likely better than expected. He made some good throws, more of them than bad or ill-advised ones. The laser he threw to Swain in the back of the end zone, despite what McElroy said, was a confident throw by a gunslinger. Swain could have made the catch I thought. It was a little low, but where it needed to be in that situation. Frank's will get better with the reps and his performance in the win should help build his confidence.

*The commentators...First, McElroy was a college QB, but shouldn't be held as the final authority. Seemed like he got on Franks a bit much. Some deserved and questions about the cadence were deserved, but his point about the bad snap on the goal line was a big reach. Saying that he thought McCoy believed Franks was under center sounds like horse sh!t and piling on. Unless they changed the way a QB seats his hands under center, McCoy would have felt the top of Franks upper hand on his junk. No need to go all Merrill Hoge. Besides, his tie knot was too small. Also, the dialogue about Davis needing to take a knee when he broke into the open and scored is preposterous as far as I'm concerned. You don't coach a back to do that and if Mac does, as they speculated, then it only adds to the concerns...but I have some doubts as to that validity, despite the continuance of the dialogue while the camera was on Mac post play.

*Slight concern that we allowed Vandy to follow our score with a score of their own a couple of times. We need to be a little tougher in these situations moving forward. No need to give them a chance to feel like they can play with us. These are times we need a stop.

*Dont know for sure, but Mac seemed a lot more focused on the sidelines than maybe I've thought in the past. Not as goofy. Maybe a change for the better. He just looked more involved. Coaching points at times they were needed appeared to be delivered. Positive.

Next up...LSU. Some more momentum from the win and better play going forward. I'm glad to see us trending this way. Still lots of work to be done. Liking better what I'm seeing. Go Gators!

:chomp:

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep LSU should tell us where our offense really stands against good competition. I liked the rushing game today.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you tell your running back to not score at this point? The world wants to know!

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Love your posts Cover2. Agree with all you said. Mac actually said in the on field post game interview that the call was to get the first and go down on instead of scoring on the Davis TD. While guaranteeing a 1 TD win, I think the score was more valuable to the confidence of the Offense in the long run, not to mention Vegas! Thanks again for the great posts!

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big take aways for me were the o line continuing to improve and Frank's hitting the ground running after being benched. Great day from the backs as well. I think Perine got tired of all the noise saying he's second fiddle to the freshman. Some good things from Thompson as well but Davis and Perine are next level. Also notable is the play calling didn't make me ill. Stay in the booth where you belong Nuss.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Good win and better performance by the good guys! Some improvements, which are to be expected by game 4, if not somewhat slower than anticipated. But before we start handing out t-shirts, it was Vandy...we should expect to beat them. Even though they made us look after defeating K State, Bama pulled off their contender costume. The key at this point, to me, is to continue to get better each game, which I think we've seen to a degree in the last two. Even though LSU isn't up to speed this year, you've got to think it'll likely be a battle. But again, keep improving and we have a positive outcome. Alright, let's talk specifics...

*We were able to generate more pressure from our front four. Heck, Shannon even dialed a little up with the LBs a time or two. He'll be growing a full fro next thing you know! Seriously, much better and Polite and Zuniga, among others seem to be rising. Sherit solid. Bryan generated a rush on an outside stunt, but he gets stood up and chicken fights too much when rushing the interior. I guess he's there for a middle screen, but really he's still raw, particularly in this area. CeCe had some good rushes as well. Rush D was better. Slat on got a shout from the commentators (more on them later) and we were generally consistent with their rush D.

* Joseph looked to have a more consistent game. Some good rush plays and passes defended. Some coaching and understanding seem to be going on and taking hold. Reese had a few good plays against the rush. Johnson was back. We got burned on a screen again and I can't help but feel part of the problem is that the LB's get caught too close to the LOS and are easy to seal. They could also be better in their under coverage on passes. QB and route recognition need to improve.

*Special Teams...Some better. Punting was ok. Saw some attention to hang time on sort field punts, but coverage was better on the boomers. We shouldn't have a hang time concern on these punts IMO. If we've got a guy that can kick it 60, then we need to have guys who can get of the hold-ups and force the return guy to the middle if we don't tackle him. The middle lane guys have to be downfield in a hurry and not get held up. We were better. Townsend ain't exactly kicking line drives! Eddy was great on KOs, but his long FG attempt was a duck. Doesn't count against him, but I was expecting him to clear with 10 yds to spare! A note on punting...the Rugby style, employed by Vandy, is supposed to be a no return scheme. The guy takes about 5 steps on the roll, buying time for the gunners, and usually tries to kick a lower trajectory ball with hopes that it will be more difficult for the returner to field (and fair catch if executed properly in terms of coverage) and they can then take advantage of the tumble. They were pretty proficient, although Powell muffed a returnable punt.

*Not as many missed tackles, though two were very noticeable. Both by Chauncey. He got trucked twice and it will continue to happen as lond as he stands flat-footed and waits on the back (or receiver) with a head of steam. Poor technique. To his credit though, he did have two pass break-ups, the last was a shot on the receiver from the hash.

*Secondary made a few plays (Henderson, Duke, etc.), but the Vandy guy carved us up to an extent when we didn't generate pressure. We aren't lockdown by any means, still get lost in coverage some, and make crazy reads (Washington flies the opposite way from the QB roll in the red zone when he hit the TE dragging...what the heck was he thinking?). Lot of work to do but potential is there.

*Usually not crazy about the RB by committee, but it was well-managed today. Perine had a big day and Davis was solid. Thompson had some good plays. He's pretty good receiving. 5 rushing TDs? I'll take it.

*OL was better, as evidenced by our ability to run. A few pass pro issues, but maybe they are gelling. Counter was a good play for us and the G blocks looked pretty decent. As they continue to improve, our chances to be more efficient offensively and to win obviously expand.

*Hate to see LDR injured, but Frank's came in and gave us what we needed. Strike to Cleveland was big, even though we settled for a FG. Not what we wanted, but given the field position likely better than expected. He made some good throws, more of them than bad or ill-advised ones. The laser he threw to Swain in the back of the end zone, despite what McElroy said, was a confident throw by a gunslinger. Swain could have made the catch I thought. It was a little love, but where it needed to be in that situation. Frank's will get better with the reps and his performance in the win should help build his confidence.

*The commentators...First, McElroy was a college QB, but shouldn't be held as the final authority. Seemed like he got on Franks a bit much. Some deserved and questions about the cadence were deserved, but his point about the bad snap on the goal line was a big reach. Saying that he thought McCoy believed Franks was under center sounds like horse sh!t and piling on. Unless they changed the was a QB seats his hands under center, McCoy would have felt the top of Franks upper hand on his junk. No need to go all Merrill Hoge. Besides, his tie knot was too small. Also, the dialogue about Davis needing to take a knee when he broke into the open and scored is preposterous as far as I'm concerned. You don't coach a back to do that and if Mac does, as they speculated, then it only adds to the concerns...but I have some doubts as to that validity, despite the continuance of the dialogue while the camera was on Mac post play.

*Slight concern that we allowed Vandy to follow our score with a score of their own a couple of times. We need to be a little tougher in these situations moving forward. No need to give them a chance to feel like they can play with us. These are times we need a stop.

*Dont know for sure, but Mac seemed a lot more focused than maybe I've thought in the past. Not as goofy. Maybe a change for the better. He just looked more involved. Coaching points at times they were needed appeared to be delivered. Positive.

Next up...LSU. Some more momentum from the win and better play going forward. I'm glad to see us trending this way. Still lots of work to be done. Liking better what I'm seeing. Go Gators!

:chomp:
Excellent. Especially agree on the DB's. And I think Gardner is a good kid but 4 games in and he is still whiffing on way too many tackles.

I thought coaches did well today. Some good calls and balanced approach. Distributed the ball well.

As many have said I think Shannon is going to have to be more aggressive at times with the blitz. When QB's have time their WR's are getting open.

All of our backs are running hard and keeping it secured.

Both QB's looked fine today. Hate to see Luke go down. Worried about the extent of Clevelands injury.

I like the way this team has stuck together through a lot of adversity.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Great post and in the post game Mac admitted he wanted a flop. Now I have no problem with that if you are ahead by multiple TDs and want to avoid running up the score, but not here. If you can't stop them you don't deserve the win. And I thought that on the onside kick the kicking team hit the receiver before the ball got there. I think that is a penalty but perhaps not.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gardner looks like he has the tackling yips. Head down and flat footed will make you the nail and not the hammer every time.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Thank you cover! agree as usual especially the last past on the announcers, they were a joke. Thought the qb was under center? Was someone rubbing his but? Smh.... telling a running back not to score, if Mac really wanted him to take a knee, he is really overthinking everything and is dumber than me, which is substantial. It might make sense, but come on man.

You were kinder on the O-line than I would have been (but I know my place), a lot of the backs were hit way in the backfield and the qb took some shots. Franks settled down more once they got the running game going. I see why we run it up the gut, the TE are going to hold. All three backs earned a big GATOR Chomp today! Even saw them pick up a few blocks! :) reciever separation is still an issue, but FF did throw a couple nice touch balls today. The one to Thompson was very nice. But we did run the rock! I know it was Vandy, but still, I will take it.

The defense is a quandary to me, without pressure, the young DB get shredded. Bring blitzes and the young guys miss some assignments. Don't know what the answer is. The D lne could bring it a bit more often...I think the LB and DB are so light they get taken advantage of. Especially with physical receivers as it doesn't take much of a nudge to create some space. Biggest thing for the D, if you are getting pressure, it's a screen!

But the O kept the D rested today. Big difference.

Baby steps, still didn't feel good, but it was a W...

Go Gators! On to LSWho

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just got back from the game and it appears we saw most of the same things. There were some positives in that the run blocking was pretty good, we played decent defensively against their run game. We were able to sustain some drives keeping our defense off the field, but defense still had their issues. Our passing blocking though was well below average at best. I feel bad that Del Rio got hurt, but on that play as well as a few others, Del Rio left the pocket to the outside when there was no need to. He could have stepped up and climbed the pocket on a couple of plays but did not. I know it is back to FF now, and I just hope he will let some of the plays develop, although that pass that Swain caught on a deflection was an awful throw. I am convinced it was intended for Goolsby but he threw it high and way behind Goolsby. We did throw it TWICE to a RB as the primary receiver. Once it resulted in a big gain and the second one late in the 1st half might have been a TD but FF threw it way behind the RB. We also would have had a TD to Toney on a slip screen but Ivey totally WHIFFED on a block on the CB who was the only defender out there. Thankfully we scored on that drive to bail Ivey out.

Defensively I am officially done with Nick Washington in pass coverage. He is just awful. Both he and Gardner had chances at wounded ducks that any average safety would have gotten to, but they are just so bad that they did not. Washington plays flat footed and never breaks on the ball. he only moves after the ball is caught. I thought this was the poorest game our frosh CB's played in regards to technique. They were not good on most 50/50 balls technique, wise. Vandy's 2nd TD was a complete bust by someone, but not sure whom, but he was WIDE open. Vandy's 3rd TD was just an awful play by Henderson.

And lastly, Butters once again showed what a complete moron he is from a game management perspective. Late in the 2nd quarter, Vandy has it 4th down, about 1:30 left, clock running and we have all 3 timeouts remaining. Vandy is probably going to try about a 47yd FG give or take. so instead of taking a timeout, Butters lets Vandy burn 40 seconds, Vandy take the timeout and trots out the FG unit. But coming out of the timeout, we send 12 guys out on the field. How the FVVK does that happen coming out of a timeout? We did drive down thanx to a long pass to get a tying FG, but would you rather have 1:20 left and 2 timeouts remaining or 40 seconds and 3 timeouts remaining? I will take the more time and 2 TO's. But it's Butters.

With that said, there was some positives but as C2 mentioned, we should look improved against Vandy. They are not terrible and really exposed our pass defense. Speaking of being done with both our starting safetys in pass coverage, I feel the same way about our LB's. Reese had 2 balls right in front of his face and could not knock either one down. Moon and Joseph are also awful in pass coverage. it was good to see Johnson out there and I hope he is healthy next week.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Great points Cover. During the half time interview with mac I mentioned to the Mrs that Mac actually sounded like a coach instead of the philosophizing farmer.

He showed a slightly more involved side, they must have reduced his meds.

Good show by the Gators today, I enjoy watching Franks play.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Looks like we played better run gaps as shown by shutting down Webb. Still peeking inside and letting the rcvr get behind us especially on the back shoulder throws. We are green at corner so we will get better as evidence in 4th qtr. Glad I came down from Winder to witness personally.
We should be able to adjust to LSU as long as we play smart & not do stupid stuff with drive killing penalties. Franks did better job in 4th qtr looking opposite direction and throwing back on screens. He's growing up & would do well to call time out or change play @ LOS when play called doesn't stand a chance. We'll see this week how it goes, just don't let Zaire QB, please.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Good post, Cover. Like you seem to be, I'm more than a little concerned about the coaching of our pass defense. I know they are young and raw for the most part, but they often seem completely lost. It was obvious to me the vandy QB knew how to take advantage of our mistakes, and our overall tendencies. I fear a prolific passing offense with a strong OL would eat us alive. Shannon better start getting more creative up front to protect them. Our lack of a corps of elite LBs, and our overall lack of depth at the position is scary.

As for taking a knee instead of scoring... hell to the no. You never leave points on the field, or train a RB to not score. I am a Spurrier disciple, and I could never in my life imagine him not wanting to score if the opportunity presents itself. And I agree about Swain. That should've been a TD. And I totally agree about McElroy (Hoge). Both of those guys are asshats.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Love your posts Cover2. Agree with all you said. Mac actually said in the on field post game interview that the call was to get the first and go down on instead of scoring on the Davis TD. While guaranteeing a 1 TD win, I think the score was more valuable to the confidence of the Offense in the long run, not to mention Vegas! Thanks again for the great posts!
You first have to learn how to win. Once you get there, then you go on to the next level.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Great post and in the post game Mac admitted he wanted a flop. Now I have no problem with that if you are ahead by multiple TDs and want to avoid running up the score, but not here. If you can't stop them you don't deserve the win. And I thought that on the onside kick the kicking team hit the receiver before the ball got there. I think that is a penalty but perhaps not.

Great stuff as usual C2.

If the O-Line keeps making strides we should continue to have a pretty potent running game, which in turn will really help Franks.

I thought the injury on LDR was dirty by driving him into the ground well after the ball was released. I feel bad for the guy even if he is a bit of a doosh. Another shoulder injury with another surgery should mean it's the last time he will see the field. With his father's connections he might be able to make a career in coaching if he wants a football life.

Considering the final TD, to me the only time you intentionally don't score is when you are up by one point. No reason to give them the ball back if they can tie it with one score, but if scoring puts you up by two possessions then go for the score. We need all the offense we can get.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here's to Cleveland's ankle not being too injured. The dude is our stretch the field threat and he's delivered this year. Proud of the RBs, they don't go down like those M3 smurf types. Kudos to Franks for not sulking on the sidelines and ascribing to the players mantra you're one injury away from playing. Agree... an RB breaks into the second level with a chance to go house... Mac, running back your not, lol. Nice take Cover.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
More ST's blunders; delay of game on a FG attempt?

Why didn't we use a timeout before Vandy's FG at the end of the first half? We had 3, let the clock run down to 48 seconds. It worked out, we got a tying fg, but we would have had more time to try for a TD.

Defense looked bad in the first half. But overall, a solid game....against the 123rd ranked offense.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I loved the way their rcvrs got separation. They pushed off every time. Quick shove with the hand low. It will never be called. Can our rcvrs be taught to do that?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you tell your running back to not score at this point? The world wants to know!
As @bayou gator so elequently stated..."Hell to the no,"

Thanks, Chief. If I'm not mistaken, once the ball travels 10 and it's not high enough to warrant a fair catch, everybody's fair game. Heck, if the ball is short of 10 and we move to try and field it, they're trying to knock the guy out just the same.

Thank you cover! agree as usual especially the last past on the announcers, they were a joke. Thought the qb was under center? Was someone rubbing his but? Smh.... telling a running back not to score, if Mac really wanted him to take a knee, he is really overthinking everything and is dumber than me, which is substantial. It might make sense, but come on man.

You were kinder on the O-line than I would have been (but I know my place), a lot of the backs were hit way in the backfield and the qb took some shots. Franks settled down more once they got the running game going. I see why we run it up the gut, the TE are going to hold. All three backs earned a big GATOR Chomp today! Even saw them pick up a few blocks! :) reciever separation is still an issue, but FF did throw a couple nice touch balls today. The one to Thompson was very nice. But we did run the rock! I know it was Vandy, but still, I will take it.

The defense is a quandary to me, without pressure, the young DB get shredded. Bring blitzes and the young guys miss some assignments. Don't know what the answer is. The D lne could bring it a bit more often...I think the LB and DB are so light they get taken advantage of. Especially with physical receivers as it doesn't take much of a nudge to create some space. Biggest thing for the D, if you are getting pressure, it's a screen!

But the O kept the D rested today. Big difference.

Baby steps, still didn't feel good, but it was a W...

Go Gators! On to LSWho
Thanks, Wood. Agreed about Mac and wanting the flop after the first down that resulted in a TD. Yeah, likely overthinking here. If it was my QB running, maybe, but maybe not there either, especially if it was Toney! OL was better, but far from a finished product. Just have to be glad those baby steps are forward!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The 2nd half was probably our best offensive performance but like you said, Vandy. Cleveland needs to get healthy. His catch just out in the endzone was an AA catch, Malik Davis will be a real player if he stays healthy. We miss exp. in the secondary badly. We gotta get healthy there and stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.