Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Vanderbilt

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The cb/safety roles makes sense, but I was actually under the impression that he was playing safety when he was named MVP of the Bowl game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're the man, cover. Your posts are very much appreciated!
I agree completely, but are you aware you can post that without quoting all thirteen paragraphs?

Or was LONG CAT your goal?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The game hasn't slowed down for him yet. The more game reps he gets, it should start meshing better. But then again, Driskel seemed to have that problem while he was here. Some guys progress faster than others. The coaching they get has a lot to do with it.

He is also going to get called for a false start if he doesn’t fix an issue I saw multiple times. In shotgun, he starts his drop before the ball is hiked (that might be the same “twitch” mentioned earlier. Late in the game he had a be I was sure was going to be called.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Besides, his tie knot was too small. Also, the dialogue about Davis needing to take a knee when he broke into the open and scored is preposterous as far as I'm concerned. You don't coach a back to do that and if Mac does, as they speculated, then it only adds to the concerns...but I have some doubts as to that validity, despite the continuance of the dialogue while the camera was on Mac post play.

The reason why he was making it a big deal was because Gameday picked Vandy to cover the 9.5 point spread and that score put the Gators over the top in Vegas

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The reason why he was making it a big deal was because Gameday picked Vandy to cover the 9.5 point spread and that score put the Gators over the top in Vegas

So we need an investigation of Mac to see if he attempted to manipulate betting odds by telling his player to fall down. The announcers also indicated that the logical strategy was to fall down in bounds and not score. That way there was no possibility of a Vandy victory, scoring meant an vanishing small probability. I am happy we scored and of course it meant that people betting on the Gators won.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So we need an investigation of Mac to see if he attempted to manipulate betting odds by telling his player to fall down. The announcers also indicated that the logical strategy was to fall down in bounds and not score. That way there was no possibility of a Vandy victory, scoring meant an vanishing small probability. I am happy we scored and of course it meant that people betting on the Gators won.
Said a bettor to his book..."I'll take Vandy and the points!" How often in history could this line have ever been uttered? We have entered the twilight zone it appears. Maybe been there for a few years. ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Slaton got a shout from the commentators (more on them later)
:waiting::waiting::waiting:

Still waiting.

OK, my take. IMO all the three DTs look great, especially Slaton but Conliffe is also quite impressive. Very disruptive and demand double teams. If the coaches have noticed (questionable) the balls to play them (highly doubtful) I think they could change the defense completely. Inside presences like these make life so much easier for the LBs and DEs.

*The commentators...First, McElroy was a college QB, but shouldn't be held as the final authority. Seemed like he got on Franks a bit much.
He is embarrassingly proButterteeth and does everything to deflect any blame for this mess.

Last edited:

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
I think Franks gave us what we needed. He still has some decision making issues but hopefully experience takes care of that. We got one in Davis. He is a stud. Young secondary is going to get beat on at times. That's expected. I have always said Chauncey is a CB. He isn't physical enough to play safety. FWIW I think he would be a lockdown corner. Another WR or two have to step up. No Callaway. Now no Cleveland for LSU week. They are in disarray but they have the secondary talent to lock us up if none of our WR's can step up (looking at you Hammond)

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I think Franks gave us what we needed. He still has some decision making issues but hopefully experience takes care of that. We got one in Davis. He is a stud. Young secondary is going to get beat on at times. That's expected. I have always said Chauncey is a CB. He isn't physical enough to play safety. FWIW I think he would be a lockdown corner. Another WR or two have to step up. No Callaway. Now no Cleveland for LSU week. They are in disarray but they have the secondary talent to lock us up if none of our WR's can step up (looking at you Hammond)
Somebody tell me I am wrong, but my memory is still that he played safety and some nickel last year. He made the switch to corner this spring and switched back when Marcel was injured. I also think he won MVP in the bowl game as a safety. I don't disagree that corner is his better position, but how did he forget how to tackle? As I said, I feel sorry for him waiting to get run over.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Somebody tell me I am wrong, but my memory is still that he played safety and some nickel last year. He made the switch to corner this spring and switched back when Marcel was injured. I also think he won MVP in the bowl game as a safety. I don't disagree that corner is his better position, but how did he forget how to tackle? As I said, I feel sorry for him waiting to get run over.

Yeah he filled in at safety last year because of injuries but other than the bowl game I don't think he played that well. If you think back to that long Rudolph TD reception in the game against Fraud St, Gardner didn't play his zone properly and let them get an easy score.

I can't comment on his tackling because I honestly don't remember if he ever was good at it. I just think he has the attitude, talent, size, and athleticism to be an incredible CB and that's where I was hoping we would play him. We shall see what the coaches do going forward because right now he is a liability. I saw Brad Stewart get some PT the past two weeks. Let's see if he can take over one of the safety positions and run with it.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
- Late in the game #2 Stewart was in on their last drive. CG was on the sideline while the secondary consisted of Duke, Stewart, Washington, CJ and Marco. I think we will see him play a bit more as the season goes on. For all the talk about Shawn Davis we haven't seen him on defense much since the opener.

- The OL did a good job holding up in protection, as well as opening holes in the running game.The counter was a great play for us all day

-3rd and long late in the 4th when we are up 14. We dial up a bomb for Powell. It looks like Feliepe had a cross underneath but went deep instead.
Mason blitzes both safeties leaving man coverage everywhere, and we still can't find a matchup problem despite the line picking up the blitz well. A screen here is at the least a first down and maybe even 6 . Hell even a swing to the back likely picks up enough yardage for a legit FG attempt. Which makes it a 17 point lead and the game on ice.

- I've noticed Mac likes to save his timeouts in the first half for the offense. We let about 40 seconds bleed off the clock when we had all three.
He did the same against UK the week before, and fortunately the kid missed the kick that time but we weren't so lucky on Saturday. We can't always bank on a wide right or wide left. The last few minutes of the first half, and the opening few minutes of the 2nd half are the biggest gripes I have with this staff. Though our defense played much better in the 2nd half there are obvious concerns in the secondary. The communication has to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.