Blown call costs Fatfford and the Lions the ballgame

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n292618 said:
I believe the refs made the right call. I commend them for getting it right, for once.

:fistbump:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Try to keep up Doug. I know you know the call was wrong, I even said so. The finer point however is the excusing it you make because you insist it was a bang bang play or that Detroit didn't really deserve to win the game anyway. Neither is a valid point. Nobody who watched that thought anything other than that the Seahawk went over and intentionally tapped the ball out of bounds in order to keep Detroit from having a shot at recovering it. Even I thought that it was smart to do that at the time, not remembering the prohibition on batting balls like that. This was far different from holding or any example you've offered up so far. This was just plain old misapplication of the rules and the result was the gift of a win for Seattle.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n292631 said:
Try to keep up Doug. I know you know the call was wrong, I even said so. The finer point however is the excusing it you make because you insist it was a bang bang play or that Detroit didn't really deserve to win the game anyway. Neither is a valid point. Nobody who watched that thought anything other than that the Seahawk went over and intentionally tapped the ball out of bounds in order to keep Detroit from having a shot at recovering it. Even I thought that it was smart to do that at the time, not remembering the prohibition on batting balls like that. This was far different from holding or any example you've offered up so far. This was just plain old misapplication of the rules and the result was the gift of a win for Seattle.

We agree that the rule was not called... but to say that is the sole reason they lost is invalid. They were not clearly the better team for 58 minutes. It was their own player that put the ref in the position to make that mistake. They crossed the 50 3 times in the game out of 10, with the results being penalty/punt, field gold (23 yard line), and fumble at the one yard line. A clearly better team doesn't let the game get down to a play where the official would dictate the game. Was it a bad call, absolutely. Was it the only bad call of the night? No. Is this the one we will remember? Yes. I'm sure both teams will send in 10 plays they thought were questionable (the league allows 10 to be reviewed) and there will be a number that come back.

Was it a bad moment, but everyone is trying to put the loss on that one play. The Lions played like $hit, not that the Seahawks were even average. It's a $hitty situation, but it's not the reason they lost. It didn't help, but neither did any of their stupid penalties anytime they were able to get moving. They were down by 3 with +3 turnover margin at the time of the play.

The Lions are the type of team that finds ways to lose in this fashion. The playoff game last year where their offense basically shut down for 3 quarters, then blames the game on a no call defensive holding. This is the Lions MO. A team that shows flashes but puts themselves in position for others to decide the game for them.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing you just wrote matters. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a'hoppin. Each moment is judged by itself. After all the back and forth, good plays and crappy plays, judgment calls for and against, etc were all over, it came down to the end and a crucial call decided the game. Nothing that happened before or after that call had an effect on that call. The call pretty much decided the game, rather than the play on the field. What we should be talking about today if we were interested in the game was "oh man, if that guy just hadn't batted that ball, that Johnson fumble would have sealed the game." Instead we're talking about the refs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n292661 said:
Nothing you just wrote matters. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a'hoppin. Each moment is judged by itself. After all the back and forth, good plays and crappy plays, judgment calls for and against, etc were all over, it came down to the end and a crucial call decided the game. Nothing that happened before or after that call had an effect on that call. The call pretty much decided the game, rather than the play on the field. What we should be talking about today if we were interested in the game was "oh man, if that guy just hadn't batted that ball, that Johnson fumble would have sealed the game." Instead we're talking about the refs.

Zambo, I think we agree we are talking about the refs when it should be about the game. That is on the officiating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator