Booster Writes Scathing & Depressing Tweet about UF NIL

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I’m very surprised to not see a thread on this already. Maybe it’s buried in a post, I don’t know. But this paints a sad picture of our future.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Unfortunately, the higher-end donor types also know what a "sunk cost" is and try to avoid it at all costs.

There really is no point in investing $25 or $25M into an investment scheme where the Chief Executive can't get such basic things right as counting to 11--on multiple occasions throughout the season--costing us AT LEAST one game definitively...and likely at least another one abstractly.

(This is as kind a business analysis as exists. There's legions of other data to suggest Napier is clueless at the helm, but they've been covered at length).

And yes, I'm grateful for what all Gator boosters do; and do contribute on my own to the Athletic Dept (my scholarship was in a non-revenue sport) *and* to one NIL. Could I donate more to both? Sure. But it's hard throwing away money on a bad investment. Stricklin needs to be fired ASAP and standards need to be improved. This isn't Mississippi State. Every sport has declined under Stricklin.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
For those who don’t want to click on link…

Current NIL situation (LONG READ) There are a few select teams out there whose 85 players are collecting well over $20M a year -- EVERY YEAR -- with 100% of it coming from fans.

There are maybe 10 more teams who are in the $10M - $20M range. Again, with 100% of it coming from fans EVERY YEAR.

These teams all have collectives -- some with 5,000 members, others with only 500. Regardless, there is one simple truth at every big school right now:

If any school lost their TOP FIVE NIL donors... that team would collapse. Every single NIL program is extremely top-heavy, so without those few top donors, no program would be able to honor the current NIL contracts with their 85 players.

So why are these top donors basically funding 85% of the football "salaries" for their favorite teams right now? PURELY OUT OF LOVE AND FANHOOD FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE PROGRAMS.

These 5 people (I am not one) at every big school are being asked to do this EVERY YEAR now, so WITHOUT THEM, your team would essentially disband and transfer elsewhere in order to keep getting paid.

So, at the risk of sounding apocalyptic, no team can afford the outcome of complaining so much about things that they "piss off" the few big donors and drive them away. It would be the death sentence.

None of us have any right to criticize these folks for not giving more; we should be thanking them profusely and praying that they stick around.

Furthermore, we should all be chipping in to help. Everyone should be giving SOMETHING to their collective if they want their team to compete. Especially if your school is NOT one of those teams with a Billionaire from Nike or Exxon or Flying J as their primary NIL donor. (Hint: Florida is not)

50,000 fans giving $25 a month would come to $15M a year! Is $25 too much to ask? Then give $10 a month -- it adds up.

The point is this: Every NIL program is walking a tightrope of existence that depends on the generosity of a few rabid fans. If we want UF to reach the upper echelon, we need to do everything to KEEP those big donors and we need to do everything to GAIN the 50,000 donors at $25/month.

That would be all it takes for us to have one of the 3-5 most loaded rosters in the NCAA.

In the meantime, until we get there... please stop complaining about why we are not getting certain players from the portal. They are transferring for ONE thing (money), so they are looking for the highest NIL package. It isn't a matter of UF not "wanting" the great players... it's simply a matter of needing more NIL money to get them. Our budget is already allocated to the great players we have!

Moral of the story: Anyone thinking that UF doesn't need more NIL money in their collective has their head in the sand. The big money people have done their share (Thank God)... so now please do yours.

Or don't... but then don't act surprised or offended when UF can't land certain players.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Honestly, I'd rather be the new Vandy than fork out millions of dollars to high school punks in hopes that they come to UF, play well for UF, and then hope they don't leave UF anyway when the first sign of adversity hits. If these KIDS are going to get paid they need to be signed to contracts with teeth, not the nonsense they have going on now.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Or don't... but then don't act surprised or offended when UF can't land certain players.
Comedy Bang Bang Wow GIF by IFC

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
If that post is true, it's worse than I thought. A roster in todays college football is $85 million?
Oh, I thought it might end up that way after a few years, but damn, this has gone off a cliff.

Yes, I want a championship caliber team at UF. Goes without saying.
Yes, I have contributed to Gator Boosters and will continue to do so.
Asking me to donate to a collective whose sole purpose is to pay an 18 year old kid to come to UF to play football?

That's a hard no.
Especially, if there's no contract, they can transfer at will, play like crap and never reach their potential, and still get paid????
Are they even required to attend class?
Again, if this post is true, you're asking a guy to help pay a salary to someone to play football, that will make more money at 18 years old, than I do actually contributing to society and paying taxes.

It's fine, I get it.
I've lost my 401k, TWICE.
I'm pissed off, struggling day to day with my job , I'm trying to retire in 3-5 years. I've increased savings and 401k contributions, busting my azz with several different projects at the same time, juggling finances in this ****ty economy.

Now I'm supposed to give cash monthly to some spoiled, entitled, prick, that could care less about the University of Florida?
Like ETN and his momma??
Laughable.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have no interest in games that result from what was described in that article. As JDH points out the model sounds unsustainable. If the reality is 5 guys are giving 5mil every fricking year, that will get tiresome even for the rich. In the not so distant future those same guys will end up saying if I pay for it why don't I own it.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to get worse before it gets better for all of College Football.

Asking fans (all schools) to pump money into an NIL collective with no rules, regulation, caps, and accountability? It is not sustainable in the long run. So do you support now in hopes that it all works out? Until the problem is fixed nothing will work. When this first come about, I said that the current teams that are on top will be the ones that will weather it better than most teams. But I am starting to see that even those better teams are having issues as well.

It's going to get to a point that the $$$ will go away, dry up, or Fans tired of paying it. It has come down to you can offer a kid 1M to play at a school and he says. "well aTm offered me 1.1M". Recruiting is nothing more now than just a flat out bidding war. It is not sustainable or even makes sense. We are, along with many other schools are in for some bad times.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
Two thoughts:
1. I'm not paying my hard-earned dollars to ungrateful 18 year olds who are already getting many significant monetary benefits from playing football in the form of their scholarship, etc. My money will go to better use at church or some local charity.
2. Is the author of the original tweet saying it takes a top 3 roster to win big? Because I'm pretty sure Washington didn't have a top 3 roster (maybe a top 3 QB, but not top to bottom), and they almost won it all. Coaching is still a big part of the equation and no NIL is going to fix our head coach's deficiencies.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is this tool bag? What level is he, that’s all that matters.
he’s a Billy Bob nutswinger that is completely ignoring the nose dive from the middle to the end of the season . Instead he would rather blame it in a lack of money for Billy’s recruiting class falling apart . Kids love playing for morons with back to back losing seasons!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is so dumb. We got idiots pretending like we haven't just had the worst 2 seasons since 1946. With the most unwatchable brand of football possible. Throw in we kept a coach that everyone in the world knows will be fired before November, you've got a recipe for an unattractive destination. Funny how nil wasn't issue before this season.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
College football is ruined. My love for the Gators keeps me hanging on trying to find a silver lining, but it gets harder every year. I see myself spending a lot more time in the woods and water in the fall.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Want more the fans to contribute? Give them something to contribute to.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is so dumb. We got idiots pretending like we haven't just had the worst 2 seasons since 1946. With the most unwatchable brand of football possible. Throw in we kept a coach that everyone in the world knows will be fired before November, you've got a recipe for an unattractive destination. Funny how nil wasn't issue before this season.
NIL is still relatively new and poorly regulated...hardly regulated at all, honestly.
It's the wild west, along with the transfer portal, separate but loosely connected, problem.

This isn't just a problem for UF, it's a problem for everyone. You have to be absolutely blind to not see it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I have to imagine the NIL situation at UF is not very unique and the opinions expressed here could be found on many college sports message boards. The reality is the collectives around the country are always going to be dominated by a few boosters. I may be wrong, but I suspect the average CFB fan has absolutely no desire to contribute. And while the product on the field is always going to be a factor in how many contributions are received, I don’t think it’s the biggest one. It’s a very small sample size, but the two UF grads in my family have no desire to contribute and it has zero to do with the lack of recent success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator