Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n176502 said:
Pick a side damn it
If I had to guess I would expect Grier, given what I know about what Mac wants in a Qb. But my confidence is barely over 50%. The last time I saw Grier on the field he was passing to third string scout team receivers all of whom wore 31 or 33 in the last spring "game."

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176563 said:
I love Leak. He had a rough damn time with 4 OCs, including the last one who wanted to run the veer.

I guess I dont really consider him a true gunslinger. We always relied on the run and he was never really given the option of being the main weapon who picked apart secondaries.

Tebow usually had under 200 yards. Hes the polar opposite of a gunslinger.
While no one would consider Tebow a gunslinger, he averaged 252 passing yards a game his Heisman season and around 220 a game for his career. Because of his poor NFL reputation for passing, people now (even our own) act like he couldn't or didn't throw in college either. It's nonsense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n176644 said:
While no one would consider Tebow a gunslinger, he averaged 252 passing yards a game his Heisman season and around 220 a game for his career. Because of his poor NFL reputation for passing, people now (even our own) act like he couldn't or didn't throw in college either. It's nonsense.

Yeah, he was a solid passer while here. I'll never forget how he continued to thread the needle on those key 3rd downs in the 2008 SECCG.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n176666 said:
Yeah, he was a solid passer while here. I'll never forget how he continued to thread the needle on those key 3rd downs in the 2008 SECCG.

Or the passing clinic he put on Cincy in his last game playing with us.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
MJMGator;n176666 said:

Stop it, I am about to cry.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176478 said:
Berlin is a great example of the guy everyone thought would win the starting job who did not win.

I think you guys are silly. Some of the same guys who ranted and raved in support of Driskel four years of terrible performance suddenly act like Treon being mediocre as a TRUE FRESHMAN (not even an early entrant) means that he's done and has no upside.

I like Will. I prefer QBs who look to pass. I like gunslingers. Will looks like the best one we've had since Grossman. I'll be happy if he wins it.

However, I will also be happy if Treon does. I'll be most happy if they both look like they are ready because with this OL we are going to need it.

:chomp:

I have a feeling whoever is the backup will definitely start a few games before the season is over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n176644 said:
I didn't say he wasn't a solid passer or that he couldn't have become a great passer if his QB coach wasn't a TE who liked to run the veer option.

However, he wasn't a gunslinger. Neither was Leak IMO. Tebow was more of a runslinger, the primary weapon on offense but it was his feet that scared the opposing D the most.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n176262 said:
Actually, I had heard that Will was leaps and bounds beyond Treon in passing and accuracy but that it was already decided he would redshirt and that the coaches felt a mobile QB might help.

That is not what Roper said. His words were that Treon gave us the best chance to win out of the backups but then again Roper said all that good stuff about Driskel being a good company man. Its hard to say - just from reading the play by plays that were done Harris made big strides from when he first got there to catch up to Grier who had the Spring. I am just a little scared Grier may be one of those guys which look different when the bullets are really flying or the staff would have pressured him not to redshirt if they thought he was clearly better. That spring game surely wasn't a true test. Heck how they ran that made Driskel look like he had a clue and Skyler also who was horrible against Georgia Southern.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176689 said:
I didn't say he wasn't a solid passer or that he couldn't have become a great passer if his QB coach wasn't a TE who liked to run the veer option.

However, he wasn't a gunslinger. Neither was Leak IMO. Tebow was more of a runslinger, the primary weapon on offense but it was his feet that scared the opposing D the most.

I agree. Tebow and Leak were not gunslingers. Rex was though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n176667 said:
Or the passing clinic he put on Cincy in his last game playing with us.
Yeah, much like Leak's OSU game, it was a sad reminder of what could have been with a better OC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176689 said:

Solid passer, but not a Gunslinger. Neither Tebow or Leak had to or could wing it like Grossman in college. Grossman was just flat out nasty, no quarterback since Danny W. ran Spurrier's offense so well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176695 said:
Yeah, much like Leak's OSU game, it was a sad reminder of what could have been with a better OC.

In Leak's case, just a more consistent offensive strategy over 4 years. 3 OC's in 4 years while pushed into starting duty as a true freshman.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n176701 said:
Solid passer, but not a Gunslinger. Neither Tebow or Leak had to or could wing it like Grossman in college. Grossman was just flat out nasty, no quarterback since Danny W. ran Spurrier's offense so well.

Rex was screwed out of winning the Heisman his sophomore year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n176708 said:

agreed, he was the best player in college football that year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n176708 said:

I think what mostly screwed him was a lot of voters had sent in their ballot prior to Colorado smashing Nebraska that season and they were giving Crouch some votes because they were undefeated then.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Who really knows? It is yet to be decided and is a great opportunity for all the QB's. So, if some guy is thinking about transferring in, he should do it now because they're all going to get handed the play book and they're all going to get evaluated. Surely, we have our favorites now, but I'm a fan of whoever gets it done the best and the fastest.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n176715 said:
I think what mostly screwed him was a lot of voters had sent in their ballot prior to Colorado smashing Nebraska that season and they were giving Crouch some votes because they were undefeated then.

And that Rex was a Sophomore... it was before Tebow broke that barrier.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n176692 said:
That spring game surely wasn't a true test. Heck how they ran that made Driskel look like he had a clue and Skyler also who was horrible against Georgia Southern.
Funny thing is that after watching that spring game I thought that Morningweg looked as good or better than Driskel and even Grier. If I'm not mistaken he threw for a couple of TD's that looked well thrown fwiw....Then again I fell for Ropers bs about Driskel, hook, line and sinker....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Morningwood was better than Driskel and probably Grier at that time. He's very accurate. Somewhat Wuerffelish actually. I bet SOS could make him into at least a serviceable SEC QB. I won't be surprised if Mac makes him into at least a serviceable backup.

Driskel can look ok while wearing a redshirt. I mean an actual red jersey, concrete, don't get excited. It's when he takes it off and starts thinking about the pass rush that everything goes haywire.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n176689 said:

I don't disagree, what I was responding to was your point that he "rarely threw for 200 yards", which sounds like he put up pathetic Driskel-like passing numbers. That isn't true. He threw for nearly 10,000 yards at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.