Calling FireFoley...Where ya at now?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Marine, this place is eat up with "we suck, you suck and our program sucks because Foley sucked. A fan base raised on SOS/BillyD/Urban knows football and basketball and anything less, sucks..............Patience and perspective left town years ago and what we have left is :wobble:
so when things do not work out for the "WE suck so bad " group some in here like to have fun............sorta like me right now;)

Got it. Thanks.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I here ya and I used to think the same way. The state of our football program has turned me into an azzhole these days. I can feel my arms shrinking.
MNpGOg2.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Great win, but it doesn't mean White is even the second coming of Norm Sloan yet.

Sloan's best at UF was a Sweet 16 appearance. White hasn't even made the NCAA with this program yet (only his 3rd year?) but I strongly believe he will do better. I see him getting us to the 16-8 level consistently with an odd Final 4 thrown in. Don't know if we'll ever win it, though. Maybe he's the second coming of Kruger?

I get ya man, I think you make some valid observations. I did listen to Rick Barry's comments on our first half play, and agreed with him. It's great having him in the stands and being such a prominent BB figure (drawing more attention to our program), even though he's full of himself much of the time (I guess he's earned the right to be).

Less a matter of earning the right to be full of himself, I think. From the interviews and commentary at every gamej I gather this is simply how he's wired. And it drove him to do well enough that it appears justified, but I suspect he'd still be smug even if he wasn't great.

What I don't understand is: 1. Your posts reeking of criticism after 30 point blowouts; 2. you walking out of the Mizzou game at halftime.

+1k

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Thanks. And I think someone corrected me elsewhere of the same. Do we need to draw out comparisons between our history of 'best' coaches for the dumpers as well?

Sloan (skipping his first stint at UF for 6 yrs) made the NCAA in his 7th year of 9 yrs (second stint) at UF, with only 3 appearances and his best a Sweet 16.

Kruger made his first NCAA appearance with UF in the 4th of 6 yrs at UF. That was a Final 4, followed by a first round appearance.

Donovan, the gold standard, made the NCAA in his 3rd year of 19 yrs. Totalled 14 NCAA appearances in those 19 years, topped of course by the back-to-back NCs. I think everyone would agree Billy was an exception, not the norm, for basketball coaches - especially for coaches not at Duke, Kansas, or UK.

So, then we have White, who appears to be reaching the NCAA in year 2 of how many, we don't know. We also don't know how deep he can take a team. But for the first mark he has been able to hit - he's getting to the NCAA quicker than the others. And we can't say he inherited a team of top talent and was riding Billy's players considering Billy didn't even make the NIT in his last year with his own players.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. And I think someone corrected me elsewhere of the same. Do we need to draw out comparisons between our history of 'best' coaches for the dumpers as well?

Sloan (skipping his first stint at UF for 6 yrs) made the NCAA in his 7th year of 9 yrs (second stint) at UF, with only 3 appearances and his best a Sweet 16.

Kruger made his first NCAA appearance with UF in the 4th of 6 yrs at UF. That was a Final 4, followed by a first round appearance.

Donovan, the gold standard, made the NCAA in his 3rd year of 19 yrs. Totalled 14 NCAA appearances in those 19 years, topped of course by the back-to-back NCs. I think everyone would agree Billy was an exception, not the norm, for basketball coaches - especially for coaches not at Duke, Kansas, or UK.

So, then we have White, who appears to be reaching the NCAA in year 2 of how many, we don't know. We also don't know how deep he can take a team. But for the first mark he has been able to hit - he's getting to the NCAA quicker than the others. And we can't say he inherited a team of top talent and was riding Billy's players considering Billy didn't even make the NIT in his last year with his own players.
The core of the current team (Hill, DRob, Egbunu & Chiozza) were all Fresh/Sophs or red-shirting (Bu) during Billy's last year - it was a talented bunch Billy brought in. Then there was the Walker flop who was part of Hill's class, that didn't help and probably made Billy's decision to make the jump to the NBA that much easier. But White has some talent and experience to work with this year and it's good to see the progress over the past couple of weeks. Just need to sustain the intensity and this team should get to the Sweet 16. I think next year will be more of a challenge, coaching wise, as we'll likely be extremely young if DRob and Bu declare for the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator