CFB Coaching Changes: LSU loses OC, fires DC

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Yet again we will sit around with our **** in our hands watching everybody else make upgrade hires, all while complaining we can't make a change because "there aren't any home run hires out there." Lather, rinse, and repeat every year.
At this point, a home run hire is a fantasy……see Lincoln Riley and Jimbo Fisher. We need someone who is going to recruit HS and the ports effectively and efficiently, build a quality S&C program, hire competent quality staff that is inline with modern college football, and supervise said staff and let them develop talent and call quality ball plays in all three facets of the game. This may not be the recipe for a NC but it will get the program back to 9-11 wins a year consistently and a CFP berth.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
At this point, a home run hire is a fantasy……see Lincoln Riley and Jimbo Fisher. We need someone who is going to recruit HS and the ports effectively and efficiently, build a quality S&C program, hire competent quality staff that is inline with modern college football, and supervise said staff and let them develop talent and call quality ball plays in all three facets of the game. This may not be the recipe for a NC but it will get the program back to 9-11 wins a year consistently and a CFP berth.
Portal

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Has Chip been fired yet, especially after than scintillating 33-7 home loss last night to Cal Berkley? Or did that monster win over a "we have mailed it in" USC squad save him?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

That’s why I’m not against a proven P5 coordinator that is young, hungry and has already shown recruiting skills.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
Coaching changes. I wish we could do that, but we don't have any coaches. We haven't for over a decade now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yet again we will sit around with our **** in our hands watching everybody else make upgrade hires, all while complaining we can't make a change because "there aren't any home run hires out there." Lather, rinse, and repeat every year.

Then we do make a hire, it's a "safe" hire that we really didn't have to compete to get.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So isn't Mike Elko an example of one of these "up and comers" you guys are complaining about? He has a grand total of two years head coaching, with a 16-9 record. I know it's impressive to win a few games at Duke, but it seems like if we hired this stiff the board would be melting down. It's another "diamond in the rough" hire. Finding an established winning coach to hire is exceedingly difficult. Don't think A&M didn't look under every damn rock.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
So isn't Mike Elko an example of one of these "up and comers" you guys are complaining about? He has a grand total of two years head coaching, with a 16-9 record. I know it's impressive to win a few games at Duke, but it seems like if we hired this stiff the board would be melting down. It's another "diamond in the rough" hire. Finding an established winning coach to hire is exceedingly difficult. Don't think A&M didn't look under every damn rock.
Yes and yes. But we're desperate. And we can rationalize anything for a year or two.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Let me start off by saying what I'm NOT saying...I'm not saying:
- Elko should have been chosen to come to Florida
- Elko will be successful at TAM

What I am saying is:
- Elko has done more w/less at Duke
- Elko had to compete against the almighty powerhouses of the ACC (+ ND) and went 7-5 this year
- The University of Florida took a chance on an up-and-comer from Duke back in '89 that went 20-13-1 over 3 years

As for my opinion, as it relates to TAM's hire, I think he is a safe hire but is not a splash hire that will move the needle for the fans. They'll have to be patient with him, which they won't, and he'll have every thing ($$, facilities, recruits, etc.) at his disposal so losing won't be tolerated like it was w/Jimbo.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No, it’s not the same.

Hiring Elko would have been like Florida hiring Brian Johnson.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Finding an established winning coach to hire is exceedingly difficult. Don't think A&M didn't look under every damn rock.
Finding an established coach that's built a solid p5 program usually isn't gonna leave that job for a rebuild. I don't care if it's Florida or texas anm. These guys are already rich, already built their program's into winners. Usc and lsu are the exception, not the rule.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Finding an established coach that's built a solid p5 program usually isn't gonna leave that job for a rebuild. I don't care if it's Florida or texas anm. These guys are already rich, already built their program's into winners. Usc and lsu are the exception, not the rule.
You are correct, but if the time comes (hopefully soon) that we are in the market, the AD can't worry about the optics of chasing winners and settling for the discount bin at Walmart so that we don't have a prolonged, public search with being turned down by big names. That is how we got Zook and Mullen (panic hires worrying about the optics of being turned down by big names) and when we didn't bother to try big names, we got Muschamp, McElwain and Napier.

The next search MUST involve contacts with successful, big names at other programs that may seem happy - even if that gets out and we get some flack from our rivals. If you don't swing for the fences, the best you can hope for is an inside the park homerun - and those are rare.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Finding a diamond in the rough is what got us, Muschamp, McElwain, and Napier..... none of which were ready or a cultural fit for the organization. Meyer wasn't a diamond in the rough but a known quantity at a G5 becoming a P5, Spurrier had proven his ability at multiple stops. Galen Hall is the closest we have gotten in my lifetime to a diamond in the rough being successful at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.