CFB Coaching Changes: LSU loses OC, fires DC

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The next search MUST involve contacts with successful, big names at other programs that may seem happy - even if that gets out and we get some flack from our rivals. If you don't swing for the fences, the best you can hope for is an inside the park homerun - and those are rare.
So, a Cristobal or Riley?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Finding a diamond in the rough is what got us, Muschamp, McElwain, and Napier..... none of which were ready or a cultural fit for the organization. Meyer wasn't a diamond in the rough but a known quantity at a G5 becoming a P5, Spurrier had proven his ability at multiple stops. Galen Hall is the closest we have gotten in my lifetime to a diamond in the rough being successful at UF.
We didn't give Gary Darnell enough time...

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not keen on coaches that have one or two winning seasons at only one stop. Granted Billy looked like a better hire than Elko is.

I'm still on the Jamey Chadwell train. That's my guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are correct, but if the time comes (hopefully soon) that we are in the market, the AD can't worry about the optics of chasing winners and settling for the discount bin at Walmart so that we don't have a prolonged, public search with being turned down by big names. That is how we got Zook and Mullen (panic hires worrying about the optics of being turned down by big names) and when we didn't bother to try big names, we got Muschamp, McElwain and Napier.

The next search MUST involve contacts with successful, big names at other programs that may seem happy - even if that gets out and we get some flack from our rivals. If you don't swing for the fences, the best you can hope for is an inside the park homerun - and those are rare.
I'm definitely not saying don't make phone calls. I'm just saying it's not a realistic expectation that some dude is gonna bounce from Oregon when they're in the playoff hunt to come take over a **** show like we have here. Texas anm has more money and resources than anyone , who they ended up with should tell you what the market yields.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
So I am guessing that Brian Schottenheimer is of no interest? I mean, he knows coaches, he cut his teeth under SOS, he is a UF guy, dad was a NFL coach.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I am guessing that Brian Schottenheimer is of no interest? I mean, he knows coaches, he cut his teeth under SOS, he is a UF guy, dad was a NFL coach.
As OC, correct?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think he is in dallas right now as "OC".

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s never been a head coach anywhere. Heck, he’s never coached in college.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
No To Schottenheimer Jr. in any way. He may be OC in title with Dallas but the HC calls the plays. Schottenheimer has been unsuccessful in all his stops as a play calling OC in the league.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I thought Cousin Eddie would constantly be mentioned for huge jobs in both college and the NFL or at least that is what we were told; :lmao2: Just came across this little nugget.

Whether Syracuse has zeroed in on Dino Babers’ replacement or Mullen removed himself from consideration is currently unknown. But it does appear that Mullen’s name will continue to resurface for some of these second-tier Power Five jobs, even if he doesn’t like to recruit,

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator