CFB's Rising Star Coaching Candidates

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Depressing lists. Not many takes on that list. Some would be interesting, like maybe Morris, if he had more Fla recruiting ties. Boise is known for producing coaching flops. Others have just too thin of a resume even for hiring an OC.

Defensive coordinators fvvvvvvvvvvvvvkkkk no.

I agree w/ you on the Boise-tree, except Peterson is doing well (with limited resources of playing CFB in Seattle). Hawkins & Dirk were busts when they left. The difference w/ Harsin is he actually spread his wings - he went to Texas as OC and then to Arkansas State (where he did well in just one season). Harsin would be my top choice, but I'm not sure we could lure him. The only lure for him would be money....but he makes decent money (for a non P5 program) and that's his alma mater & he was born there! Not sure if he's leaving.

The list is dreadful, but I think there are some rising stars. I'd like to see more of Frost, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up at Nebraska in 2 or 3 years (after they can Mike Riley).

Babers is intriguing, but we'll know more about him very soon. If he doesn't go 8-4 or better from here on out his 'star' will fade quickly.

Satterfield, Neil Brown, and Montgomery have bright futures.

But if I was the AD, Harsin is the guy I'd go after right now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But if I was the AD, Harsin is the guy I'd go after right now.
Cant recruit and has no contacts in the east. He was mediocre at best at Texas and Arky St.

He has better teeth than Butters but in many ways he is the same guy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Cant recruit and has no contacts in the east. He was mediocre at best at Texas and Arky St.

He has better teeth than Butters but in many ways he is the same guy.

Well, he recruited for 2 years in Texas, Arkansas and I'm sure the southeast (you do know Texas & Arkansas and the surrounding areas are SEC country now, right?). And there have been PLENTY of coaches w/ no SEC ties to be successful (see Nick Saban & Urban Meyer). He was 7-5 at Arkansas State as a first time head coach, that's commendable for a crap program like Arkansas State. And he's done very well at Boise.

Like I said, if I was the AD and I had to go after one guy TODAY....Harsin is my guy. But I get it, you never want to commit and put yourself out there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why is Pep Hamilton on that list. Michigan didn't have that good of a passing game. Heck they ran for almost as many yards I think.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You mean like committing that I dont like him?

Law, you know what I'm talking about. I've asked you several times in previous discussions about this topic: Who would YOU pick if YOU were the AD today? And you never answer.... Not starting a pissing contest about it. I threw my name out there....and it could be another Muschamp or Zook pick, but I like the guy and think he'd have great success at a program like Florida.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We should be able to pull a coach from anyone but another top5 program. Its is absurd to limit our self to geograpical schools in hopes of spending less than Kintucky or Vandy.
If we were committed to football maybe but we're committed to all sports trophys. Fuentes probably has a similar if not better budget to work with. We're not a top 5 program any more bro.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Mullen doesn't deserve a big job for one good season at Miss State.

And yet we hired Champ and Mac. If this had to do with deserve, we'd never hired those 2 or Zook. I wouldn't want Mullen either, but that's where I see Stricklin looking first.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And yet we hired Champ and Mac. If this had to do with deserve, we'd never hired those 2 or Zook. I wouldn't want Mullen either, but that's where I see Stricklin looking first.

You may be right since he was there. Muschamp actually had a decent rep then as a DC but it was a big surprise because people thought he would stay at Texas until that coach left since they designated him the next coach in waiting. The problem was Foley not realizing the big mistake and refusing to fire him after 2013. It was kind of the same situation we have now with us just being a ND loss from being in the BCSCG in the 2012 season but having a crappy offense since Muchamp got to UF. Mac is probably going to get year 4 for winning the SEC East in 15/16 even though its been straight crap these past 2 years.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
You may be right since he was there. Muschamp actually had a decent rep then as a DC but it was a big surprise because people thought he would stay at Texas until that coach left since they designated him the next coach in waiting. The problem was Foley not realizing the big mistake and refusing to fire him after 2013. It was kind of the same situation we have now with us just being a ND loss from being in the BCSCG in the 2012 season but having a crappy offense since Muchamp got to UF. Mac is probably going to get year 4 for winning the SEC East in 15/16 even though its been straight crap these past 2 years.

Agreed, Mac more than likely gets 4 years. Hopefully no more than that unless he's turned things around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator