DEFENSE

Opine

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely brutal review of the offense.
Mertz missed a few reads and, while he had some longer throws, he failed to hit the receivers in stride.

OLine just absolutely reaked.

Several times Charlotte ran a zero cover man and, instead of passing the ball, we ran right into the teeth of the stacked box.

Like he said..."Charlotte giving zero respect to the passing game as a threat".

BN needs to get a real OC during the off season.

He's doing a great job as GM behind the scenes but he doesn't have "it" for game day. (unless this is the longest con/sandbag ever leading up to the Leghumper game :lol: )

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Mertz’ accuracy is serviceable. Seems more accurate when rolling out and driving the ball. Need some quicker plays when an overloaded blitz appears to be coming.
We dodged a bunch of bullets on D, but pressure seems to do that.

Do big uglies make things pretty?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz’ accuracy is serviceable. Seems more accurate when rolling out and driving the ball. Need some quicker plays when an overloaded blitz appears to be coming.
We dodged a bunch of bullets on D, but pressure seems to do that.

Do big uglies make things pretty?
Really good Big Uglies (playing as a unit) make everything look better.

I didn't like the defensive calls in the game. Too aggressive and a bit out of control with a running QB. I would have been happier with a few less sacks and better containment. The stats dint show it, but they looked out of control on many of the plays. Maybe it's just PTGD on my part (post traumatic Grantham disorder)

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Really good Big Uglies (playing as a unit) make everything look better.

I didn't like the defensive calls in the game. Too aggressive and a bit out of control with a running QB. I would have been happier with a few less sacks and better containment. The stats dint show it, but they looked out of control on many of the plays. Maybe it's just PTGD on my part (post traumatic Grantham disorder)
They whiffed on a couple of the screens. Better teams will hit those for big gains. But they played well overall and are miles ahead of where they were last year.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Didn't look too bad in the first. Throwing 20 yards downfield. And then we went with clunky play calling in the second. Napier calls a good game about 75% of the time.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I think the players like playing overly aggressive on D and he might’ve just been letting them loose against a lesser opponent unless it started to affect the outcome

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think the players like playing overly aggressive on D and he might’ve just been letting them loose against a lesser opponent unless it started to affect the outcome
That's kind of what I thought too.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't look too bad in the first. Throwing 20 yards downfield. And then we went with clunky play calling in the second. Napier calls a good game about 75% of the time.
If his play calls and time mgmt remains the same, once all the players are in place, then we can expect 9-10 wins a season. A cheap version of Mark Richt.

It's too early to get worked up though.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Inexplicable this offensive scheme. If BN doesn't get a OC and turn over the reigns it will be his undoing at UF. We could have torched these guys.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mertz missed a few reads and, while he had some longer throws, he failed to hit the receivers in stride.

OLine just absolutely reaked.

Several times Charlotte ran a zero cover man and, instead of passing the ball, we ran right into the teeth of the stacked box.

Like he said..."Charlotte giving zero respect to the passing game as a threat".

BN needs to get a real OC during the off season.

He's doing a great job as GM behind the scenes but he doesn't have "it" for game day. (unless this is the longest con/sandbag ever leading up to the Leghumper game :lol: )
I don't think an oc necessarily fixes everything. But I agree one is needed

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Really poor play calling coupled with bad execution.

We could be soooooo much better with a real OC and ST Coach.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Really poor play calling coupled with bad execution.

We could be soooooo much better with a real OC and ST Coach.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
You'll take the improved defense and be happy.
Go Away GIF

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
What I don't get is running into 7-10 men boxes.
It's....Sisyphean. :banghead:
It would make sense if we had an OL like the great wall of 84/85, and Neal Anderson, Lorenzo Hampton and Jihn L. Williams as RBs.

But... we also had Kerwin Bell (QB) and Ricky "the rocket" Nateal at WR to throw over the top.

Are we close to that as a team?
So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.