Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
It doesnt leave anyonr in limbo except a few silly.message board people. Everyone else knows what is going on.

Again, show me one time in history a team has ever announced the new coach before the end of the season?

Stricklin did a bangup job turning the SS UAA away from cheapskate hires to swinging for the fences.

:brad::brad::brad:
Not here to argue but do you think Matt Carrol still goes to Alabama last week and our other recruit (sorry but I can't remember his name) which reopened his recruiting would have happen if we had a coach at least named if not in role? Look, I have a life outside of message boards and UF hiring procedures so it is no skin of my back when they announce this thing. HOWEVER, to say that being in this state of "interim" coach (aka: limbo) does not effect recruits and the excitement associated with the programs direction and the impact both of those things have on the early signing period is a bit delusional I would think. Again, I am not here to argue. I am simply saying it has to be something other than CK's NFL contracts holding this up. Personally, I think SS is have a blast playing puppet master and is show a bit of narcissism in doing so which for me personally does not bode well for him long term unless he delivers the coach, the class, and the facilities we all expect.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed, a week is not that big a deal....if that week was in September before the Kentucky game. But for many reasons I have already elaborated upon, this is a week I feel the program does not have time to lose. Imagine the energy in the stadium, with the recruits, and the buzz in the media prior to early signing period if we announced this week. Just a thought.
See Swamp Donk's post the team and the recruits already know they have nothing to gain by letting us know a week early.
If you were paying attention last night to the players you would already know they've been told it's a done deal. I don't need an announcement or some Twitter Jabrone to tell me anything it's done.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not here to argue but do you think Matt Carrol still goes to Alabama last week .
There was always going to be a risk that Corral goes somewhere else. All of the coaches on our list anywhere on our list even the fanciful ones are option coaches.

Moreover even if Kelly were announced he could not recruit. we are only allowed the nine coaches.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not here to argue but do you think Matt Carrol still goes to Alabama last week and our other recruit (sorry but I can't remember his name) which reopened his recruiting would have happen if we had a coach at least named if not in role? Look, I have a life outside of message boards and UF hiring procedures so it is no skin of my back when they announce this thing. HOWEVER, to say that being in this state of "interim" coach (aka: limbo) does not effect recruits and the excitement associated with the programs direction and the impact both of those things have on the early signing period is a bit delusional I would think. Again, I am not here to argue. I am simply saying it has to be something other than CK's NFL contracts holding this up. Personally, I think SS is have a blast playing puppet master and is show a bit of narcissism in doing so which for me personally does not bode well for him long term unless he delivers the coach, the class, and the facilities we all expect.
You never rush to hire a coach to save a recruiting class. This hire is way more important than a bunch of 17 year olds they'll either stick or they won't.
Corral doesn't even have a commitable offer from Bama and the other kid Jamar Chase has been wavering since he commited hiring a new coach wouldn't have changed that.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
You never rush to hire a coach to save a recruiting class. This hire is way more important than a bunch of 17 year olds they'll either stick or they won't.
Corral doesn't even have a commitable offer from Bama and the other kid Jamar Chase has been wavering since he commited hiring a new coach wouldn't have changed that.

I still think Corral comes, chip or chipless

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
See Swamp Donk's post the team and the recruits already know they have nothing to gain by letting us know a week early.
If you were paying attention last night to the players you would already know they've been told it's a done deal. I don't need an announcement or some Twitter Jabrone to tell me anything it's done.
so, let me make sure I understanding you....SS is going to tell a bunch of 17-18 year old kids that the deal is done for CK and trust that those kids don't tweet, Instagram, Facebook, or talk to their barber or grandmother about CK being done? The quote was something like "we are going to get you a coach to be that father figure for you that you hoped for in McElwain", What part of that assures those recruits ANYTHING other than we will have a coach in place by the time they get on campus. I suggest you reread that article. It is 100% non-committal on WHO the coach is and I believe that because if he told a bunch of kids WHO....we would already know.

Crunchtime

Sep 18, 2014
There was always going to be a risk that Corral goes somewhere else. All of the coaches on our list anywhere on our list even the fanciful ones are option coaches.

Moreover even if Kelly were announced he could not recruit. we are only allowed the nine coaches.
Kelly's announcement as coach would do more than all 9 coach combined sitting in living rooms all summer long.

There is some sarcasm in that but a lot of truth as well.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There's no way he told the recruits/players who or that it's done. He may have told them don't worry, this will be done soon. I'm not worrying about recruiting yet. A week from now I'll start worrying.
As long as Kelly is announced prior to Dec 20 we are good.

Most classes are full except for 4-5 players and most of those players are signing Dec 20.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Corral has been up front all along that he was going to enjoy the fruits of recruiting and take his free trips. He could still spur us at the last moment, but at least he was honest about taking them up front.

Jaguar45

Nov 16, 2017
You guys just don’t quit, lol, and I love it. Here’s the deal, if the legitimacy of the report is correct, and if Kelly was to miss out on 5 mill if he signed... Then you best believe he didn’t sign. No but’s or what if’s about it men. I don’t care who you are, if you could miss out on 5 mill, then you can explain rationally to a set of individuals they can wait their butts a week or so. How long exactly, do we have to wait? Same as we would with Frostbite?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's no way he told the recruits/players who or that it's done. He may have told them don't worry, this will be done soon. I'm not worrying about recruiting yet. A week from now I'll start worrying.
As long as Kelly is announced prior to Dec 20 we are good.

Most classes are full except for 4-5 players and most of those players are signing Dec 20.
I'm unclear why the players needed to be briefed at all. You tell them after the deal is inked. They're kids. Way too much risk.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The players and recruits know.

No way 60-80 immature as f kids keep a lid on that news. Not happening. Not a f ing snowballs chance in hell.

Kelly may still be in play but if he was inked last night it would've made it's way out by now. Out clause or Santa Claus...

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Every source yesterday was confirming that they were going up with contract in hand. So the inference was that it was a done deal. Once the plane headed back the sources went silent.

Compared to yesterday, it's like a graveyard out there.

Wouldn't there be tons of scuttlebutt to throw out there regarding UCLA's moves and Chip's interest minute to minute like there was with UF?

Is UCLA just that much more subtle? Strange......

Meanwhile, some dude named Barertt Sallee is on Twitter saying Taggart is the best fall back option if we whiff on Kelly and Frost. Jeez.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Compared to yesterday, it's like a graveyard out there.

Wouldn't there be tons of scuttlebutt to throw out there regarding UCLA's moves and Chip's interest minute to minute like there was with UF?

Is UCLA just that much more subtle? Strange......

Meanwhile, some dude named Barertt Sallee is on Twitter saying Taggart is the best fall back option if we whiff on Kelly and Frost. Jeez.
I find it interesting that there are no UCLA rumors out there today - good sign for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator