Status
Not open for further replies.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not to try and be a bummer, but at this point I will be surprised if Kelly decides to coach at Florida. The more I read about him the more I think he's a wild card who doesn't look at situations the way others do. I don't think money is a motivator for him like most people. He's shown that in the past when he's had opportunities to more than double his salary and move up the coaching ranks and turned it down.

We all think Florida makes sense to him because of recruiting talent, fan support, the money we can pay, etc. . But he was able to recruit the kind of talent he needed at Oregon so I don't think he needs to be in Florida to get the kind of guys he needs. And I don't think he cares about fan support at all. I think he's one of those guys who likes to design things and gets personal satisfaction and enjoyment out of watching his inventions work and doesn't care what others think.

Either way, it's hard to determine with this guy what the mitigating factor is that will attract him to a job. And with the plethora of coaching jobs coming open there are more and more options available that might hold the secret sauce that he, and only he, is looking for. He's definitely a different dude.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
I'll be surprised if his name is already on a contract. I highly doubt it is. I'd love for us to have him but I'm not holding my breath. I hope SS isn't vested in only this option.

TonyD

Nov 17, 2017
I'll be surprised if his name is already on a contract. I highly doubt it is. I'd love for us to have him but I'm not holding my breath. I hope SS isn't vested in only in this option.

This is what I am afraid of two... all the eggs in one basket... it tells all the other candidates that they are playing second fiddle... Haven't heard word one about anyone else other than our own speculation...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you are Kelly why would you sign a week before all the possible jobs are on the market. Is his agent that dumb, not to look at all the jobs that will be in play after "black Monday".

TonyD

Nov 17, 2017
This is what I am afraid of two... all the eggs in one basket... it tells all the other candidates that they are playing second fiddle... Haven't heard word one about anyone else other than our own speculation...

Ummm... "too"... jeez... I need more coffee...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This isn’t how i feel reading about Chip Kelly not coming to UF rumors

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, the Kelly rumors are all subterfuge. We are paying him a retainer to make innocuous and meaningless statements about being courted by Florida. Even took the whole University brain trust to New Hampshire for lobster to bolster the claim. We are really pursuing an up and coming high school coach from Michigan so our AD will not need to hire another coach. Guys, we will have another football coach. It will be someone who has D1 experience. It will take two years to put out this dumpster fire. Nothing else is a fact until we see signed papers.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
A lawyer on TOS says that a contract can be signed by both parties but not executed until a future date which would protect Kelly’s NFL money, but would also lock Kelly into to UF and lock UF into Kelly. With this coupled with what the insiders are saying that it’s a done deal, the conclusion over on TOS is that Kelly and UF officials HAVE signed the contract, but it simply can’t be executed until after the FSU game to protect Kelly’s $5 million in NFL money. And UF definitely does not want to announce it until the contract is fully executed and in effect. The lawyers opinion is that announcing a signed but not fully executed contract may muddy the waters and give an opening for the NFL teams to not pay Kelly the $5 mil. Basically no reason to rush the announcement when they already have a signed and binding contract in hand. Also the legal explanation of the NFL clause is that Kelly can’t work for another college or NFL team during that team’s season or he doesn’t get paid the $5 million however once our regular season is over, he is good to go. This also most likely means that we will not accept a bowl invite if beating FSU makes us bowl eligible if going to a bowl would delay the execution of the contract until after the bowl game. And also the mods over on TOS believe that report from Buddy Martin (the $5 million NFL story) was likely fed to him by Stricklin or another UAA official in order to calm Gator Nation and walk everyone back from the ledge. They say that Buddy has been plugged into Gator athletics for decades and he doesn’t report garbage. They believe that the most likely source for that kind of information in regard to the NFL money likely came from the top or very close to it. This all lines up with what TG and insiders here have been saying. Just another source. All signs point to an announcement after the FSU game sometime this weekend or possibly on Monday.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A friend of mine, flying from Atlanta to LA, sore Chip Kelly was a passenger, My friend was sure it was Kelly because he went to the cockpit door and shouted heading corrections to the pilots and pressed his loud I-Pad music ag'in the metal door.

I like Kelly as HC, like his innovative style, like what his player-expectations are, etc. I worry that he is such a departure from the typical, that high-star players will avoid UF? It's risky to expect SEC area players to "buy-in" to Kelly's system last used 6 years ago way out northwest?

Don't get making excuses for Kelly getting fired twice by NFL teams; surely no one is saying that's an asset? Plus, his "dream-job" is back in the NFL? This "speaking-in-tongues" religious zeal worries me over blind acceptance.

Last edited:

gooneygoogoo

Dec 3, 2015
Sometimes you gotta hit rock bottom before you turn things around.

This brings up an interesting question. I saw some people on here getting heat for sort of hoping for us to lose games so that we could get rid of Butters. Assuming we land Kelly it could be said that some of the losses were the best thing for us. I can’t outwardly pull for us to lose games but imagine if we had beaten LSU, lost big to uga, lost a close one to A&M and beaten USC. There would be nothing to look forward to except maybe hoping for a home run OC hire in the offseason. We would miss out on Kelly, Frost etc and have more boring football to watch next year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This brings up an interesting question. I saw some people on here getting heat for sort of hoping for us to lose games so that we could get rid of Butters. Assuming we land Kelly it could be said that some of the losses were the best thing for us. I can’t outwardly pull for us to lose games but imagine if we had beaten LSU, lost big to uga, lost a close one to A&M and beaten USC. There would be nothing to look forward to except maybe hoping for a home run OC hire in the offseason. We would miss out on Kelly, Frost etc and have more boring football to watch next year.
no argument here. I have zero shame in admitting that knowing now that a 5 game losing streak would get him canned, if we got a do over I’d say heck no.

Sometimes a little failure and disappointment early can result in long term success. The only thing worse than butters in his current state would be butters doing just enough to stay alive and us turn into uga under richt. Can you imagine 10 years more of the last 2? :barfaway:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yep I think without that LSU loss the wheels may have not come off quite enough later for them to fire Mac.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I need to rephrase – how could they? What legal leverage do they have to do something like that? The commissioner works for the presidents. Not the opposite way.

Unless the president is doing something that legally binds or damages the SEC, why would the other presidents use the commissioner to force a sanction? Particularly against a powerhouse like UF?

That is why I used the term "push" instead of "force". I don't think they can legally force us to do it, but I'm sure they can put pressure on the administration to take it if they thought it was what was best for the SEC.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A lawyer on TOS says that a contract can be signed by both parties but not executed until a future date which would protect Kelly’s NFL money, but would also lock Kelly into to UF and lock UF into Kelly. With this coupled with what the insiders are saying that it’s a done deal, the conclusion over on TOS is that Kelly and UF officials HAVE signed the contract, but it simply can’t be executed until after the FSU game to protect Kelly’s $5 million in NFL money. And UF definitely does not want to announce it until the contract is fully executed and in effect. The lawyers opinion is that announcing a signed but not fully executed contract may muddy the waters and give an opening for the NFL teams to not pay Kelly the $5 mil. Basically no reason to rush the announcement when they already have a signed and binding contract in hand. Also the legal explanation of the NFL clause is that Kelly can’t work for another college or NFL team during that team’s season or he doesn’t get paid the $5 million however once our regular season is over, he is good to go. This also most likely means that we will not accept a bowl invite if beating FSU makes us bowl eligible if going to a bowl would delay the execution of the contract until after the bowl game. And also the mods over on TOS believe that report from Buddy Martin (the $5 million NFL story) was likely fed to him by Stricklin or another UAA official in order to calm Gator Nation and walk everyone back from the ledge. They say that Buddy has been plugged into Gator athletics for decades and he doesn’t report garbage. They believe that the most likely source for that kind of information in regard to the NFL money likely came from the top or very close to it. This all lines up with what TG and insiders here have been saying. Just another source. All signs point to an announcement after the FSU game sometime this weekend or possibly on Monday.
I thought bowl games were considered post season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator