Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I'm afraid the past 8 years have really affected our standing as one of the best jobs in college football. Look where we are now. Used to be that if Florida offered you a position you'd be a fool to turn it down. But there has been a lot of damage done to the program starting in Meyer's last year and his proclamation that we are a "broken" program has been proven to be true. We really need a dynamic and dedicated guy to fix it. Kelly would be that guy. Frost would be that guy. Not sure who else fits the bill. If we whiff on both we're going to be religated to mediocrity for another half decade. *sigh*

Agreed and a lot of truth in here. While I appreciate someone wanting to do the proper due diligence, I would have thought UFs timeline to Kelly would have been 48 hours following that last visit by the administrators.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm afraid the past 8 years have really affected our standing as one of the best jobs in college football. Look where we are now. Used to be that if Florida offered you a position you'd be a fool to turn it down. But there has been a lot of damage done to the program starting in Meyer's last year and his proclamation that we are a "broken" program has been proven to be true. We really need a dynamic and dedicated guy to fix it. Kelly would be that guy. Frost would be that guy. Not sure who else fits the bill. If we whiff on both we're going to be religated to mediocrity for another half decade. *sigh*

Divits, I'm not sure that was ever true. We'd like to think it was, but in reality we've only pulled off the dream hire once, Meyer, and that was because he saw in us an opportunity to catapult his career. So it was a mutual use-use relationship.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
All the Florida reps have had $hit-eating grins on their face the entire time. I'm still rollin' with the original theory.

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
Less scrutiny.
Less pressure.
Better weather year round.
A conference he's familiar with.
An easier path to the National Title.

That's about it.

I can think of 100 reasons why Florida is better.
Exactly, if CK doesn't want to compete with some of the best in the country than WDWHA right?

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Less scrutiny.
Less pressure.
Better weather year round.
A conference he's familiar with.
An easier path to the National Title.

That's about it.

I can think of 100 reasons why Florida is better.
If true, what a pvssy and we didn’t want him anyway

Saban didn’t run like a school girl to the finesse West. He lined up with the best of them and won 4 titles. We will find out what kelly is really made of.

I think he likes the challenge. He went to the nfl for gods sake. Any team is a pressure cooker in the nfl.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Divits, I'm not sure that was ever true. We'd like to think it was, but in reality we've only pulled off the dream hire once, Meyer, and that was because he saw in us an opportunity to catapult his career. So it was a mutual use-use relationship.
Perhaps. After all we did end up with Zook, Muschamp and McElwain. But is that more due to Foley's cheapness with salaries, staff and facilities and the lack of viable candidates to hire or that coaching Florida isn't as prestigious as we thought?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
OnlyGators. I like these guys. I think they bring good perspective to the table, even if it's not always the perspective you want to see.

Wednesday, Nov. 22 — Day 24
9:38 a.m.: Confirming reports from Tuesday, ESPN’s Mark Schlabach tweeted that Chip Kelly did indeed meet with UCLA on Tuesday and actually flew out to Los Angeles to do so. Furthermore, Kelly is reportedly receiving a “full-court press” from former UCLA star quarterback Troy Aikman. Furthermore, Schlabach reports that Kelly will decide between the Gators and Bruins “in the coming days” with no other team in the mix.

Chomp: So Florida flew five athletic department officials and its president to New Hampshire, but Kelly left his home and flew across the country to meet with UCLA, its megadonor and Aikman? Draw whatever conclusion you would like from that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Perhaps. After all we did end up with Zook, Muschamp and McElwain. But is that more due to Foley's cheapness with salaries, staff and facilities and the lack of viable candidates to hire or that coaching Florida isn't as prestigious as we thought?

Totally agree. I think Stricklin thinks bigger. I like the guy.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I wouldn't promote Shannon. I'd leave him as interim. Maybe you could go high dollar on an OC with the assumption that if it works out he could be promoted.

But if Chip did revoke before our admin finished executing, and I have no reason to believe that, and if we couldn't land Frost, I agree just leave an interim and wait to take a swing at an elite or potentially elite coach next year.

Im not clear on whether Norvell might be on the "we think he will be elite" coaches. None of the rest are.
It would make no sense to hire another Just a Dude w a Pulse coach (all the others listed so far) and have to fire him in 2.5-3 years.
Way to go, Law! Shrewdly and suavely decreasing your exposure.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The lawyer/blogger that started the entire “Mac getting fired for cause” storm just tweeted this:

RT @DarrenHeitner: Florida has postponed all official visits for game vs FSU; only unofficial visits.

If UF was announcing Kelly after the game (not happening), this would not be the case. Enough evidence to change the thread title yet????

Maybe Chip asked them to cancel so he can do all the officials himself after having s little time to prepare

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
OnlyGators. I like these guys. I think they bring good perspective to the table, even if it's not always the perspective you want to see.

9:38 a.m.: Confirming reports from Tuesday, ESPN’s Mark Schlabach tweeted that Chip Kelly did indeed meet with UCLA on Tuesday and actually flew out to Los Angeles to do so. Furthermore, Kelly is reportedly receiving a “full-court press” from former UCLA star quarterback Troy Aikman. Furthermore, Schlabach reports that Kelly will decide between the Gators and Bruins “in the coming days” with no other team in the mix.

Chomp: So Florida flew five athletic department officials and its president to New Hampshire, but Kelly left his home and flew across the country to meet with UCLA, its megadonor and Aikman? Draw whatever conclusion you would like from that.

We're done. Kelly is no longer an option. Full court press on Frost now but I get the feeling that will be futile. Time for Strickland to earn his money and find a dynamic guy who will turn things around and not just another place holder. o_O

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, no matter what happens, if the contract isn’t signed and it’s taken this long, then how does it look good for UF at this point? It could still happen, but we put a lot of emphasis on one guy.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.