Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
We'll all know in good time when this drama plays itself out, UFs true commitment to Football moving forward, the details of the offer or offers to coaches and commitment to FB infrastructure

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
And this...

@HuskerExtraSip: Mike Riley just showed up at stadium. Said he has not heard from A.D. Plans to watch film of Iowa game and try to make it a normal day.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve seen a couple guys use the phrase “I reserve the right to be wrong..”

That’s genius, why didn’t I think of using that?

“Chip is a done deal to UF. But I reserve the right to be wrong.” :lol:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I can't think of a more depressing hire than Strong. Guy had three consecutive loosing seasons at Texas. That takes a special brand of incompetence. If we hire Strong, we should also leave the SEC and join the Sun Belt. We can then play all our games on Friday's in front of a few hundred disinterested fans.
Stoops was never interested, Kelly was. If Kelly wasn’t interested he would have shot down UF immediately just like he did with UT. Oh no, the “optics” are bad! Let’s not take a chance because if we fail we look bad. Loser speak.
"We tried" that's the mantra of losers everywhere. Winners close. End of story.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So, one more day until Chip Kelly is announced as new HBC of the Florida Gators!

Done.

Deal.

I'm psyched.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
we should also leave the SEC and join the Sun Belt.
Yeah maybe that is the plan. We are looking up to Cusa and AAC teams with better facilities, and have zero dedication to winning.

Id just as soon go to the Sunbelt as to return to our leatherhelmet days of being The Other Vanderbilt (without the prestigious academics). It seems we arrive in 2013 though.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Relax, guys. We're making a play for Frost and Norvell's still out there. Sky is still up there, not down here.

If you're at all like me, it's a mixed bag not getting Kelly. Sure, he would have brought excitement and innovation to the job and given us real hope of getting right back in the mix. But the talk of Kelly and all his baggage is not without merit. He's not a transparent manager, he can be difficult to get along with and he sure as hell doesn't like to recruit, which is at odds with being successful in the SEC.

Could he have recruited himself? I'm not sure that's the best of bets. I'm pretty sure Frost can.

I just want a guy who wants us as much as we want him and who we can plan on being here awhile.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
An anxious and delicate time in Gator football to be sure. The athletic Admin botches this hiring selection spells another half decade+ of heavy booze drinking and eye rubbing.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Frost is in the driver's seat now. I think he understands that he can't possibly expect to be competitive in recruiting at Nebraska. Success seems important to him and that could be a really important "pain point." We're going to have to fight the pull home and his current employer who is going to pull out all the stops to try and keep him. We're also going to have somehow make this pitch to a candidate that now feels second fiddle do try and lure him with the Foley football facilities that have really set us back a decade at least. Oh, and your success or failure here will largely be defined by this hire. Good luck.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
Here we are sweating the small stuff, like what business did Florida have flying its president to New Hampshire, when this hire was never about the small. It was about the big, about big, big bucks and the sports apparel/shoe competition that is reshaping college football.

You thought UCLA didn't matter? Think again.

In May 2016, UCLA signed a $280 million, 15-year deal with Under Armour, the largest shoe and apparel deal in NCAA history, in a bid by Under Armour to counter Nike's dominance. Do the math. That's $18.66 million annually in change to throw around. And you wondered how they could toss out Mora and the $12M buyout and not blink. That's how.

UCLA, Ohio State and Texas all have quarter-billion-dollar-and-up deals. Florida is nowhere close.

Just wait until the Kelly terms are announced and you'll understand why UCLA won and Florida did not.

So, what you're saying is that we flew to New Hampshire, met Chip, proceeded to pull out a shiny new Nickel, grin, raise our eyebrows up and down, look alternately between Chip and the nickel and say, "enh? enh? enh?". Finally, after about one minute of awkward silence, Strick tells Chip to think about it.

Meanwhile, UCLA met Chip at the airport in a Brinks truck?

All this sounds as credible as anything I've heard in the last two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator